Preview Round 10, 2023: GWS v St.Kilda - GIANTS Stadium, Sunday 21st May, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Giants

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still lots of AFL games for blokes like Windhager, Bytel and Billings to play yet. They are obviously letting these guys get super fit and in form and they will play a part after the bye. We will get injuries. It's a long season. Lyon likes his players rock hard fit before they play. He said his 22 was as such before the first game.

I’m not sure if you’re serious when Cordy gets a mention

I think he’s a better option than Doogs at the moment.
I’d send Doogs back to Sandy to remind him of his own mortality.

I usually avoid posting on saints forums after we get pantsed by an opposition team as nothing good usually comes out of those conversations.

Now that the previous game is in the revision mirror, no doubt Ross will have the boys absolutely fired up to bring back the effort, skills and intensity of the first 5 rounds.

Toby Greene is always a headache for us, but we should be good enough to comfortably win by at least 5 goals.

No issues with the weather so no excuses either.

Our mids were 2nd rate against Port.
That's 3 out of 4 matches.

Well second-rate or not second rate we still beat Port in a number of key statistics so I hardly think it was a thrashing.

In that match we had.
  • more inside 50s
  • more contested possessions
  • more clearances, more center clearance
We got our pants pulled down by JHF a few times with some very clean clearance from him and that's an area worth fixing up however across the board, it wasn't a bad performance from our midfield.

Well second-rate or not second rate we still beat Port in a number of key statistics so I hardly think it was a thrashing.

In that match we had.
  • more inside 50s
We got our pants pulled down by JHF a few times with some very clean clearance from him and that's an area worth fixing up however across the board, it wasn't a bad performance from our midfield.
Powel Pepper, however you spell his name, destroyed us as well. Best I have ever seen him play.

In that match we had.
  • more inside 50s
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it.

Speaking of stats does anyone have any idea of our winning percentage when we play on the Sunday arvo graveyard shift? It seems like it's a long time to wait for disappointment!

He got dropped because King and Caminiti are better, surely??

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

King yes. Caminiti possibly.

But both are true key position forwards, whereas Sharman is more your third tall.

Also being used as third talls at present are Owens and The Poo, though both area more versatile than your classic third tall player. So I more see Caminit is competing with these two this week. Plus Membrey when available.

Ideally for mine you want to have two true key forwards in your team. So if player wise Caminiti and Sharman were say considered as equals, then the structural advantage of Caminiti asa KF would seem him get the nod. Or at least that is how I would select.

The Saints played Membrey as a KF against a very good full back and that did not go at all well for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah agree
Owens as a pure mid get Windy in

port just kept playing Rozee Butters Duursma seeing the benefits now
On Butters he’s a good example of the numbers we want Owens to get. 18 contested is a great game but to also rack it up on the outside with like 23 other touches too plus a ton of score involvements and 2 goals.

He already gets 18 contested and 2 goals just add an equal amount of outside ball metres gained and score involvements and he’d be a star of the competition

Look at Sheezel today.

Looks like excellent stats but he's pretty rare and was a top 5 pick for a reason. He's been getting elite numbers from day one, 6 out of his 9 games have been over 30 possessions. Our kids would be very unlikely to have the same impact. So would most other teams kids.

Why isn't Windy in this team? Midfield is very suspect
His first season he was given the task on a in form brownlow medalist and beat him , this year the kid has not been given a chance to prove he needs to be a permanent mid in this team - persisting with run of the mill seasoned mids is not going to improve us.
Time to rotate Windhager and Owens through the midfield - move out Ross - use him as a sub and saying that Steele needs to get his s/it together.
Phillipou will be a star , but let him develop slowly - give him a run when we are controlling game before throwing him to the wolves.

Looks like excellent stats but he's pretty rare and was a top 5 pick for a reason. He's been getting elite numbers from day one, 6 out of his 9 games have been over 30 possessions. Our kids would be very unlikely to have the same impact. So would most other teams kids.
Wonder if Owens was given a role as a mid what he would of done - playing a forward and used as a 2nd ruck to me is just blunting his brilliance.

Wonder if Owens was given a role as a mid what he would of done - playing a forward and used as a 2nd ruck to me is just blunting his brilliance.

He's high impact forward and easily better than Marshall in the ruck. I'm pretty sure that they have a plan to move him and Phillipou into the guts in the future. We have one position mids in the side, it makes it hard to play them elsewhere and we don't want to lose ground so have to keep feeding kids in rather than throwing them in.

He got moved to a more dangerous position and killed it.

Owens has been playing great, but put him in the guts and he'll make more impact.

He’s gone up to our 5th highest ranked player and champion data reckons he’s ahead of Jeremy Cameron and Nick Daicos. I wish all of our players were that wasted.
Shows how ridiculous their rankings system is if he's ahead of Jeremy Cameron

Owens has been a revelation for us, but I'm not sure we want his future as a key forward/ruck. Especially now with King and Caminiti back.

He got moved to a more dangerous position and killed it.

Owens has been playing great, but put him in the guts and he'll make more impact.

I'm happy with how he's going and not worried about how we are playing kids. I think Lyon is playing them and when ready they'll go in. You are comparing the absolute cream of the draft playing on ball in a terrible side playing for a spoon. We are not a similar side and Sheezel is a very rare player that has already been getting numbers as good as Nick Daicos.

Owens will make an impact when he's ready. Having King back should make it more possible to run him on ball or ruck. I don't think he necessarily makes more impact than the players we have on ball and that's really who he has to push out to own a spot. If he rucks he has the opportunity to get hands on the ball like Marshall does and force their hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back