Preview Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium, Sunday 2nd July, 4:40PM AEST *WILKIE 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Eagles

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Saints

Votes: 38 70.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Training report:

Stoppage clearance work team v team, focus on delivering i50 to leading fwd.
Nas, sincs, wood, kicking at King, ro, owens, pou.

HB and HF one on one vs each other with high ball coming in. Mark, quick release back out of d50. Owens, stocker, Higgins strong.

Fwds/Mids working on delivery i50. 3 fwds take different leads drawing their opponent with them. One at the footy, two wide or one stays deep. Kicker in goes over fwd leading at them to player deep. Less obvious and predictable i50 kicks. Multiple times I predicted where it was going to go incorrectly (probably says more about my footy nous than anything)

Small match sim style.
Boris kicked chaos ball to one sides half back to start each time.
Wilkie on hayes
Coff on owens did well, halved 2 good contests where was out of position due to quick turn over.
Hunter in a lot. Kept busy and ran well, mostly seemed on ball.

Campbell, Connoly, Paton, Highmore, Van Es, Adams, Hotton all came in after this, did light kicking drills, jogged the outside. Then joined team v team.

Keeler separate. Ran laps at very good pace.

Full field team v team, looked like focused on faster ball movement from def to fwd. Kicks i50 less predictable but not very accurate. Several missed targets.

Coff and Clarke finished early. Clarke heavy strapping on knee, but seemed okay.

Ross Lyon quiet early, later in the match sim him and BJ vocal out in the middle.

Steele seemed to be running really well.
Chased hard, didn't look hampered anywhere near as much as what I'd seen previously. No strapping.

Butler several missed handballs but fwd pressure was easily best on field. Multiple intercepts fwd, and caught defender multiple times.

Didnt see JB out there at all.
Did see him walking his dog at about 9.30 though so there's that...

Ask about any players, I'll see if I can remember much else.

Cheers.
Love your work mate!

You’d have to think that Byrnes is currently keeping the seat warm for D-Mac or Jones, if they happen to not get injured in the next few weeks. Or perhaps Billings, if they want to play him on the HFF and move Hill back to the wing.
I tend to aggre as I’ve been saying well before this year Byrnes isn’t a GF type player but it’s depressing the possible options you mention replace him aren’t GF types either. A mini rebuild is what we need over the next 3 years of Lyons’s contract…well let’s hope it’s mini.

For a so called year of exploration, we've used 28 players for the year still

Hopefully Peris gets a go as sub, not sure he's good enough but maybe he shows something
Well he’s obviously quick and he’s a tackling machine. I’d ge him license to roam, chase tackle.

A lot of the concerns that posters here mention are directly addressed.

Noteable

• He didn't like the way we played on the weekend, he thought we lost our boldness and aggressiveness in attack and in defense and we were folding back rather than pushing up to the contest aggressively
  • Acknowledged our clearance and contest work has been sub-par and needs to improve
  • Said they were going over vision from early in the year and training drills that they used in the offseason which had us playing the way they wanted early in the year.

Richo and Ratts spoke over and over about the issues.

I don't want talk. I want action.

The fact that the likes of Byrnes keeps his spot suggests that all it is at the present is talk.

For a so called year of exploration, we've used 28 players for the year still

Hopefully Peris gets a go as sub, not sure he's good enough but maybe he shows something

There is no exploration.
It's a phrase used to try and placate the masses.

Which is a shame as I wouldn't mind really giving the blokes on their potential final go of things a crack to prove they belong.

Same.

I wish more people on the forum would watch these.

A lot of the concerns that posters here mention are directly addressed.

Noteable

• He didn't like the way we played on the weekend, he thought we lost our boldness and aggressiveness in attack and in defense and we were folding back rather than pushing up to the contest aggressively
  • Acknowledged our clearance and contest work has been sub-par and needs to improve
  • Said they were going over vision from early in the year and training drills that they used in the offseason which had us playing the way they wanted early in the year.
A point RTB made which is relevant is that WCE has been humiliated & pilloried so expect some form of response at home - I’d be happy with a good solid win interstate & more importantly seeing some positive signs of our early season game style re-emerging.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that the likes of Byrnes keeps his spot suggests that all it is at the present is talk.
I guess with Byrnes, Ross wants to see if the rocket of subbing him is going to serve as the motivation to improve. He would know he's right on the edge of the side and with DMac and a few others coming back he will need to improve to stay in the side.

No they didn't. Richo and Ratts were rarely specific other than pointing to "execution" and skills errors

Ross provides a lot more insight if you pay attention

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

No they didn't. Richo and Ratts were rarely specific other than pointing to "execution" and skills errors

Ross provides a lot more insight if you pay attention

Damo commented the other day in his sliding doors column about how he wishes other coaches would be as forthcoming and informative as Ross is in his pressers.

I guess with Byrnes, Ross wants to see if the rocket of subbing him is going to serve as the motivation to improve. He would know he's right on the edge of the side and with DMac and a few others coming back he will need to improve to stay in the side.

He's been on the edge for the last 5 weeks.
Screenshot_20230630_203017_Chrome.jpg

He's says stuff. Just like they said stuff.
As I said, words mean bugger all.
I want to see actions.
Yeah fine but it's not like we are 2 and 12.

Were 8 and 6.

We have played some good and some bad footy but we've been mostly competitive all year.

Few would argue we are a top 4 side talent wise.

I wouldn't say it's time to crack the shits at Ross

Yeah fine but it's not like we are 2 and 12.

Were 8 and 6.

We have played some good and some bad footy but we've been mostly competitive all year.

Few would argue we are a top 4 side talent wise.

I wouldn't say it's time to crack the shits at Ross

Never thought we were a top 4 side.

Plenty of issues to work on.

Not after sacking a coach. But there are questions to be asked.
As has been stated already we've used 28 players in a year of exploration.
There are blokes who won't make it but I'd rather them get the chance to prove us wrong.

The same senior blokes are continually getting Mulligan's.
We've got blokes who are out of form and aren't being dropped. We spoke about the idea of selection integrity in regards to Members. Has that integrity continued? I'd suggest not.

So when I watch press conferences that say one thing but the actions don't mesh I'll ask the question.

Last edited:
Never thought we were a top 4 side.

Plenty of issues to work on.

Not after sacking a coach. But there are questions to be asked.
As has been stated already we've used 28 players in a year of exploration.
There are blokes who won't make it but I'd rather them get the chance to prove us wrong.

The same senior blokes are continually getting Mulligan's.
We've got blokes who are out of form and aren't being dropped. We spoke about the idea of selection integrity in regards to Members. Has that integrity continued? I'd suggest not.

So when I watch press conferences that say one thing but the actions don't mesh I'll ask the question.

You need a core if you want to win games of footy, that is the mulligan that you speak of since at this stage you're simply not chopping and changing blokes who have played majority of year for bloke just off injury list, it's just not going to happen unless it's a KP position like King and Members were when they were fit and ready from.

RTB inherited a defensively heavy list, the majority of injuries were to the forward half, what this inherently means is you have a completely unbalanced list in profile which is why Cordy then played FF even though brought in as defensive cover for Howard and people bitched and cried about a 2 possession game randomly as if we could replace him with anyone else above 5 feet tall at the time. Members then became available and straight back in, got injured straight back out, King then came straight in and lets knock on wood as I'd hate us to blood Keeler or throw ruckmen forward cause Ro is semi competent in that regard and lets watch Campbel or Heath walk around doing the one thing so people have something to cry about still.

So say as example, Gresh is underforming and many question him being there, who is waiting in the wings as that dynamic mid? Bytels same pace as Steele, Crouch and co, Jones is injured, Peris is around but a small forward, you blooding Hotton straight off injury list as replacement and risking a back flare up?

We'd have probably played more people if it were our half backs that got injured, or if blokes like Highmore and Coff could play forward. That'd probably have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back