At what point will the criticism for the Swans/Buddy come?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who said they'd have to win one or two flags for it to be a success? They had two chances anyway for it to be a success. Overall Bud has been good - just not so much in finals - but that's partly down to how poor the Swans have been of late. Swans have been spoilt by success so their supporters basically expect it.

It’s mainly having a marketing comodity.....swans need that

They had hall

They had locket

They got buddy

They will get someone else in time

Buddies injuries this year clearly impacting him

Plus the way they play doesn’t give him the best opportunity

Sydney have underachieved since 2012. Only one flag under Longmire despite having a talented list.

The recruitment of Franklin has been a major success. On field, off the field with crowd attendances, membership sales etc. Franklin couldn’t have performed any better since joining Sydney.

If I was a Swans supporter I’d question whether or not Longmire is the right man for the job. The current game-plan doesn’t seem to suit a lot of the players.

If I was a Swans supporter I’d question whether or not Longmire is the right man for the job. The current game-plan doesn’t seem to suit a lot of the players.

I am a Swans supporter and I have been questioning whether Longmire was the right man for the job for 2 years. In fact I have been questioning our game plan for about 5 years.

Sydney have underachieved since 2012. Only one flag under Longmire despite having a talented list.

The recruitment of Franklin has been a major success. On field, off the field with crowd attendances, membership sales etc. Franklin couldn’t have performed any better since joining Sydney.

I don’t think you realise how hard it is ....

They don’t bottom out for long and they have talent coming along

Everyone likes to blame the coach ....

They had a crap day yesterday

Probably shouldn't have played but I guess they figured he'd keep a good defender busy. McCartin has shown signs but wasn't ready to step up in a final.

Nah. Boyd is one of the worst players in the league despite being paid more than 99% of other players.

Surely he's delisted when he comes out of contract.

Boyd deal contributed to a flag. Buddy deal contributed to some good home and away finished, a couple of finals wins and a team now looking like needing to rebuild with a large percentage of their salary cap tied to an ageing player.

Buddy certainly delivered as a player on his end but I’d rather have paid Boyd for what we got out of him vs paid buddy for what Sydney have gotten

Boyd deal contributed to a flag. Buddy deal contributed to some good home and away finished, a couple of finals wins and a team now looking like needing to rebuild with a large percentage of their salary cap tied to an ageing player.

Buddy certainly delivered as a player on his end but I’d rather have paid Boyd for what we got out of him vs paid buddy for what Sydney have gotten
He probably wouldn't get a game at 14 other clubs. Terrible player.

He's been great value so far the problem was always going to be the last years of the contract and how his body holds up. He's still owed $5.2mil over the next 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, unlike South Melbourne giving up and going to Sydney, we’ll be right as always and staying put in Melbourne. Thanks for the concern though.
And if you’re going to bag South Melbourne for “giving up and going to Sydney”, you might want to also mention that your club TRIED to go to Sydney. And failed abjectly.

I am a Swans supporter and I have been questioning whether Longmire was the right man for the job for 2 years. In fact I have been questioning our game plan for about 5 years.
In many respects Sydney and Geelong have maby similarities

We've taken the easy route and extended the contract of a coach whos teams cant deal with finals pressure.

I wonder if sydney may be more ruthless with Lomgmire

In many respects Sydney and Geelong have maby similarities

We've taken the easy route and extended the contract of a coach whos teams cant deal with finals pressure.

I wonder if sydney may be more ruthless with Lomgmire

I agree. The players of both Geelong and Sydney seem on paper to have the talent and experience needed to go far in finals, so I have to wonder if new coaches for both clubs might be able to get them further? I'm not a fan of Scott or Longmire

According to many Swans have actually achieved what they wanted by signing buddy at a massive cost but no GF
I would rather win 1 GF without buddy and finish below the 8 for 10 years than finish second 10 years in a row with buddy and no GF

Give me 2012 Swans GF ANY DAY without buddy over the last 5 years with buddy

Swans won a GF without buddy but now its everyone elses fault that buddy can't deliver...blame the coach, the midfielders, buddy's injuries etc etc

Is every recruit considered a failure if the side doesn't win a flag? As a player, he is worth the money he is being paid. Pretty much every club if they had the chance would take Franklin at that money.

And if you’re going to bag South Melbourne for “giving up and going to Sydney”, you might want to also mention that your club TRIED to go to Sydney. And failed abjectly.
We tired to move a couple of our home games that’s true. It didn’t work, but we were never going to relocate there unlike South Melbourne who did. There’s a difference. Same as with Tassie, we are happy to play 3 or so home games down there, but we are never going to move there. I was giving a rebuttal to the Sydney poster who mentioned rattling tins so we can move to Tassie. We aren’t going anywhere, unlike South Melbourne who did.

Is every recruit considered a failure if the side doesn't win a flag? As a player, he is worth the money he is being paid. Pretty much every club if they had the chance would take Franklin at that money.

You are right with your first part that a recruit is not necessarily a failure if you don't win a GF
But Swans did sign buddy and deep down they were expecting to win a GF

I am more puzzled at the EXCUSES people give for buddy as I have not seen it to that extreme for any player in my memory

Judd didn't get the same support when Carlton recruited him to win a GF....many consider it a failure

Tippett is the issue not Buddy. Maybe given we already had Tippett we shouldn't have gone after Bud, but I am not sure we would have been more successful without him.

The Tippett cap space is what has prevented us from keeping Mitchell and recruiting perhaps a key defender. Resigning him in 2016 was idiocy.

Buddy in terms of on field and off field has been a major success albeit without the ultimate.

I would rather win 1 GF without buddy and finish below the 8 for 10 years than finish second 10 years in a row with buddy and no GF
Of course you would, your team has only won it once in 145 years and not since 66.

AA Captain showing ripping leadership
He clearly wasn’t right and his team was being spanked in every position.

I don’t necessarily agree with him being AA captain but seriously why would anyone look to crictise Franklin?

They wouldn’t even be near the 8 in my opinion without his brilliance this year. Their midfield is awful for a so called contender.

In 2014and 2016 Buddy made the Swans the best team in the comp leading into the grandfinal.Remember Hawks and Dogs didn't deserve home state /home ground advantage (Hawks) and home state grand final (Dogs).Melbourne clubs are going at 19% in non Victorian finals.When assessing history and Franklin's history this needs to be factored in but won't

That was a combination of high salary players and Horse just flat out disrespecting and disliking Mitchell because Mitchell got into him about being stuck in the NEAFL. Horse didn't want him so they lowballed him and then shipped him out ASAP when Mitchell was insulted.

Horse is the root of so many issues with our current footy.
Interesting. What do you think are his downfalls and do you see him getting you to a GF again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back