The Ultimate Fighter ATT vs Blackzillians

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Anyone catch the first episode of the new season? I know a few guys (I'm looking at you MMAPride Scott) have been calling for a format change for a while now and it's finally happened. Team vs team is the obvious one, but home gym advantage which gets passed from fight to fight, a points based system to determine the winning team and the abandonment of the tournament format being the other main ones. It's hard to say how the points system will play out over the season, but I like the gym vs gym concept and both teams getting to pick their own fighters for each round makes things pretty interesting. As always, there looks like there's going to be drama (mostly between the gym owners), but I've got to say I was impressed with the first episode.

There are also a few recognisable names amongst the cast in Steve Carl (former WSOF welterweight champ), Nathan Coy (former Strikeforce and Bellator vet, holds wins over Rick Story, Mike Pierce and Dhiego Lima) and Luis Firmino (Pride & WSOF vet).

Last edited:
Recorded it last night. If you think its worth watching GT, I will give it a try. Went off TUF a couple years ago....hopefully this is better.

I watched the first episode. The changes are interesting but I don't think they make the show any better, basically a sideways shift I reckon. Being at a house seems pointless when they're going to fight at the gyms. At the house is so played out, does anyone really care about the drama at the house any more? The gym owners feud is completely uninteresting to me. Them standing behind the fighters and essentially staring off was lame.

I'm glad I watched the first episode and not just the fight, otherwise I'd be confused by the new format. Some MMA media people have said that the fighters on this show are pretty good, so from now on I think I'll just check out the fights.

All I really care about are the fights but even then I'm not that interested. The really short notice nature of fighting on TUF doesn't generally come into play once they're in the UFC. Fighting multiple times in short periods of time is unlikely in the UFC, although this seems like less of a problem this time. The way the show is favours wrestlers. Generally the best fighter will win the whole thing, but so much of it seems like it won't apply once they get to the UFC and because of that it all seems pointless really.

I thought the fight was pretty good. Dana White didn't like it and reacted to it in his typical 'just bleed' fashion. Could have been 1-1 afer 2 rounds.

Watched it last night. The new concept is about out there. I dont understand how the last 4 fights are more important (points) than the first 4.
Looks like there will be some good fights and lols throughout the series though.

After the first episode....Im leaning towards the blackzillians

Coaches fighting at the end of this ? Would be good idea considering how much they hate each other

I doubt it would get sanctioned. It would need to be a behind closed door affair.

The fights so far have been pretty underwhelming. The first fight was OK, but the second was pretty average. How ATT consider Uros to be well rounded is beyond me... all he wanted to do was wing the left hook on the feet and go for subs while a mile out of position against a legit BJJ fighter.

Looks like the talent pool is a bit shallow
These are the guys not already signed by UFC or Bellator
Do not expect to to see a gun prospect

I think the lack of depth is the biggest problem with the team vs team concept. From the sounds of things, the guys that fought last night were new to their teams, so I guess there is a possibility of teams recruiting prior to going in to the season if they decided to do this again.

Was disappointed by the fight again last night as both guys only appeared interested in trying to take each other down or hold against the cage. For all the talk of Baby Monster's bad chin in the lead up to the fight, I expected Carl to look to create room to strike rather than play the grappling game with him.

I think the lack of depth is the biggest problem with the team vs team concept. From the sounds of things, the guys that fought last night were new to their teams, so I guess there is a possibility of teams recruiting prior to going in to the season if they decided to do this again.

Was disappointed by the fight again last night as both guys only appeared interested in trying to take each other down or hold against the cage. For all the talk of Baby Monster's bad chin in the lead up to the fight, I expected Carl to look to create room to strike rather than play the grappling game with him.
too many tufs i love the concept but i think they need to look to Europe or even here places where they have not drilled the * out off. the us is depleted they just need to look else where

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fight tonight was pretty good. More of that please Dana

Haven't seen the latest fight yet. I didn't take in last week's fight at all because I was distracted by the guy's tattoos. 'JESUS' across the lower part of his back and most of his back was covered in an MMA cage chain-link thing.

It's tough to know how good these guy's are until we see them in a typical fighting environment. Uriah Hall looked like he was great on TUF but has since shown that he's not that good. After that season of TUF I was writing everyone off. TUF nations with Theodorou and a bunch of decent Canadian fighters had me saying none of them impress me. They've gone on to show that they're pretty good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back