Review Australia Day 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone checked on Snake? His head might literally have exploded.

I ignore this crap, like I ignore Australia day.

None of it represents me, and I won't be press ganged in to it by the mob either.

God Save the Queen and Welcome to Country can equally G&GF. They're flip sides of the same coin.

Interesting fact - we share the date of our national holiday with India. While they are celebrating the anniversary of the end of British colonialism, we commemorate the beginning of British colonialism. They are miles ahead of us. That might explain why they beat us in the cricket.

Interesting fact - we share the date of our national holiday with India. While they are celebrating the anniversary of the end of British colonialism, we commemorate the beginning of British colonialism. They are miles ahead of us. That might explain why they beat us in the cricket.
You were being smart until the last sentence which was dumb

Anyone who believes Australians have gatherings & BBQ's on this day celebrating the atrocities that the aboriginals had to endure 200+ years ago......is crazy.

The day is worth celebrating for many reasons. Where we are and what we've achieved as a nation.

It's disgusting that this day continues to get raided by toxic virtue signalling c**ts who will take offence to anything they'll find. Let the past be in the past.....that's not who we are today.

The guilt and shame that gets painted on Australians this time ever year doesn't apply to me or anybody else. This sorta s**t and that noisy insect meyne wyatt who cries like a petulant child not getting what he wanted for Christmas doesn't help.

There is no doubt that more needs to done for Indigenous communities and more opportunities be given.

Focus on that.

#whowantsasnag

Anyone who believes Australians have gatherings & BBQ's on this day celebrating the atrocities that the aboriginals had to endure 200+ years ago......is crazy.

The day is worth celebrating for many reasons. Where we are and what we've achieved as a nation.

It's disgusting that this day continues to get raided by toxic virtue signalling c**ts who will take offence to anything they'll find. Let the past be in the past.....that's not who we are today.

The guilt and shame that gets painted on Australians this time ever year doesn't apply to me or anybody else. This sorta sh*t and that noisy insect meyne wyatt who cries like a petulant child not getting what he wanted for Christmas doesn't help.

There is no doubt that more needs to done for Indigenous communities and more opportunities be given.

Focus on that.

#whowantsasnag
Christ almighty, how thick are you if you can't join the ******* dots?

I didn’t have a particular view on Australia Day until I started working with Indigenous Australians. It was a holiday, cricket & singing the anthem. Once I observed the hurt that the day causes it was a no-brainer & I grew a pair & challenged my views. Pick one of the other 364 days & celebrate hard.

Last edited:

An Indian court just ruled that non consensual groping that doesn’t involve the removal of clothes can’t be considered sexual assault.

Sooooo maybe they aren’t that far ahead of us.

An Indian court just ruled that non consensual groping that doesn’t involve the removal of clothes can’t be considered sexual assault.

Sooooo maybe they aren’t that far ahead of us.

Looks like Richmond are singing their song after a win in India next year.

Malcolm Turnbull has said there is “no shortage of irony” that he has received Australia’s highest honour for his contributions towards marriage equality on the same day that Margaret Court, the tennis legend who was a vocal opponent of the 2017 campaign, received the same honour.

One could argue there is also little shortage of irony given his mate johnny howard made it illegal in the first place to ensure the survival of the species!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guilt and shame that gets painted on Australians this time ever year doesn't apply to me or anybody else. This sorta sh*t and that noisy insect meyne wyatt who cries like a petulant child not getting what he wanted for Christmas doesn't help.

Focus on that.

#whowantsasnag

You can have a bbq and celebrate what we've achieved as a nation on another date though - it would not make one iota of difference. But as long as you have it on the anniversary of the first fleet you are linking it to a lot of pretty horrible stuff, even if you don't personally understand that or want to play the "the past is the past, we've moved on" card.

You can have a bbq and celebrate what we've achieved as a nation on another date though - it would not make one iota of difference. But as long as you have it on the anniversary of the first fleet you are linking it to a lot of pretty horrible stuff, even if you don't personally understand that or want to play the "the past is the past, we've moved on" card.
It shouldn’t be changed but I can live with the change of date.

But the same s**t that rears it’s ugly head will still appear no matter what date you have in place.

Some are even stating that there shouldn’t be an Australian Day at all.

You can’t win.

But the same sh*t that rears it’s ugly head will still appear no matter what date you have in place.

You can’t win.

Yes mate, my condolences that our country refusing to fully acknowledge the uncomfortable parts of its history causes you some inconvenience each year.

Well I had a good day!!

Proud to be an Australian regardless what bloody date it is.

Yes mate, my condolences that our country refusing to fully acknowledge the uncomfortable parts of its history causes you some inconvenience each year.
Define 'fully acknowledge'........what would our government have to do?

Because I think it's been made ad nauseam.

But the same sh*t that rears it’s ugly head will still appear no matter what date you have in place.

You can’t win.

I'm not sure about "shouldn't". Putting aside the specific issue of why people are currently calling for it to be changed, January 1st is legitimately a more applicable date to celebrate. I used to lean much more heavily towards keeping the date, but in all honesty our federation as a sovereign nation (even if real sovereignty wasn't until the passing of some UK act during the 40's) is a far more momentous occasion to celebrate than when the first settlement was made.

But I do agree that there will always be some people unhappy with the idea of an Australia Day. But everything on earth has some people that get mad over it, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any outcry about the day, if it were changed, would be significantly less than there is now. That said, it's also naive to think everything will be rainbows and roses with indigenous relations if the government caves on this issue.

Ironic that those people most vocal about people whinging on the internet....go ahead and whinge about them on the internet.

Apparently, according to polling, the majority of Australians will not do anything to celebrate Australia Day. Which is slightly odd, given that a majority of Australians are against changing the date. So that suggests most people don't give a stuff about the day but damned if they're going to let a bunch of woke lefties change it.

I'm all for changing the date, but it isn't going to do anything. It is just going to become a line in the sand that moves from one place to another. Us being here and celebrating Australia existing is the problem and I do not see a resolution for that because I am too lazy to leave.

January 26 isn't even invasion day, invasion day was August 22nd 1770 when Captain Cook took possession of the east coast of NSW, it was years later that England decided to turn that claimed land into a penal colony after America stopped taking prisoners due to their independence.

Australia day represents the establishment of the colony. My parents migrated here after WW2 so I couldn't give a rats arse about the day in particular and to me personally, I have no historic links to the old country and there was nothing noteworthy imo of the establishment of a penal colony.

I personally feel we should move towards a republic and sever all ties with the monarchy and re-write our constitution and implement a bill of rights into it, which we are sadly lacking, and it should recognise everyone including the indigenous people and we can shift Australia day to the date we finally became independent of the Commonwealth and I think we could get everyone on board celebrating that as Australia Day.

In my opinion, I think the bigger issue is that the indigenous people lost their ability to self-determine their own destiny, they have been forced to conform to western laws, customs, standards, etc. I do believe that it is important that a new territory is created, regardless where it is and for it to be a sovereign nation within Australia, a bit like Vatican City, where the indigenous people can establish their own constitution, their own laws and have a body be governed by indigenous people.

While it might be symbolic in nature, I do believe it will give the indigenous a political body and institution that can self-determine their own destiny. I think what we have been doing in Victoria is a positive step but they are still bound by our framework, our rules, our limitations.

I'd like to see us make this move without the politically motivated indigenous people having to agitate the rest of their community to create enough political support, because things like the BLM while they are fighting for the right cause are inherently self-destructive for the individuals agitated enough to be politically motivated. When you develop an us vs them mentality and you agitate people to that point there is no going backwards, it is a bit like unleashing the horrors of war on your soldiers, they develop PTSD and their lives are forever changed, they can't go back to the people they were once they are no longer useful.

My dad spoke at an Australia Day function, my daughter marched in the Invasion Day rally, and I had to work. Different stages of life we go through... Anyway interesting from the invasion day rally was the focus on reducing rates of indigenous incarnation, and not so much the date itself.

Incarceration?

Focus on that.

#whowantsasnag

Well stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back