Test AUSTRALIA v SOUTH AFRICA Third Test. Jan 4-8: SCG, 10.30am AEDT

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What a dick. 195 not out. There's no chance this is a win. 20 wickets within a day and a half. Good luck, Cummins. Prick
Please. It was clearly the right call for the team.

I think it's a bit weird that when the horsies are running for the finish line, being gently encouraged by the wee chaps getting a lift, some of the horsies appear to look straight ahead whereas other horsies seem to look off to the left hand side, towards the crowd.

Some of us live for our Insta feed, what can I say.

Another in a long list of “why can’t we just do this…”

Why can’t we just add an extra day on the end? If both teams agree to it and there isn’t a tight turn around to the next test match I don’t see why it’s an issue?

Need to eliminate no result games in as many places as we can. AFL should have extra time in every drawn game, same with soccer then down to penalties in every game.

I just don't understand the intransigence over the schedule. The entire capacity of the SCG is less than 50,000... and it's pretty much never filled. In a city of more than 5 million people, how the hell is that anything other than a minor blip on the economy? And besides, it's not like anyone is suggesting Sydney loses their Test altogether. So it gets rescheduled... and the net impact is... ? Heck, attendances might even be better when people know they'll actually get to watch some cricket.

This is a dick waving contest, pure and simple.

I don't see 10 minutes mattering much here
Tell that to Pakistan and NZ.

We don't know how the rest of this game will go. We have to assume we can get a result and go from there, best chance is with all the time left bowling.

I had the same argument, but the consensus seems to be timing.
Giving us a two series nothing test against the Windies November starting on a Wednesday is not the same as a prime time holiday test against the A-grade opposition
We pull 30k for an evening BBL game, I dare say a proper fixture during a proper time of year would rival the SCG for numbers

That is for a WA team though. WA would pull a crowd to donkey racing if one of the donkeys was from WA and racing against the East.

I don't see 10 minutes mattering much here
It’s more than 10 minutes, it’s however long it takes him to get the runs, + 10 minutes for the innings change over, plus the risk that if it starts drizzling during the change they are unable to resume.

It was a tough call, but the right call.

A win is certainly unlikely, but given South African innings have lasted an average of 56 overs this series, it's worth having a crack at it.

I'm gutted for Usman, but it was the right decision to declare IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't understand the intransigence over the schedule. The entire capacity of the SCG is less than 50,000... and it's pretty much never filled. In a city of more than 5 million people, how the hell is that anything other than a minor blip on the economy? And besides, it's not like anyone is suggesting Sydney loses their Test altogether. So it gets rescheduled... and the net impact is... ? Heck, attendances might even be better when people know they'll actually get to watch some cricket.

This is a dick waving contest, pure and simple.
Tradition is both the best and worst part of cricket, specifically test cricket.

The parochial lingering state vs state bitterness has outlived the rest of society. Tradition for the sake of it regardless of modern circumstances

The declaration has taken our chances of winning from 0% to 0%.

Cummins making the big calls.

If the weather holds up I'm not ruling out a win. South Africa are terrible.

Still doesn't mean the decision to leave Usman stranded isn't a diabolical one. There's not a single valid argument for the declaration. It's a meaningless test.

time lost to rain / light will only become a bigger problem once the push to reduce to 4 day tests gets over the line.

Me right now:
Excited No Way GIF by MLB

If the weather holds up I'm not ruling out a win. South Africa are terrible.

Still doesn't mean the decision to leave Usman stranded isn't a diabolical one. There's not a single valid argument for the declaration. It's a meaningless test.

It isnn't in the context of the WTC. Win this and we are in the final - and the WTC final is a goal of this team.

Back