• Greg Phillips
  • Tony Liberatore
  • Paul Couch
  • Stewart Lowe
  • Roger Merrett
  • Nicky Winmar
  • Scott Wynd
  • Nathan Burke
  • Bill Dempsey (West Perth and NT legend)
  • Harold Oliver
  • Chris Judd
  • Dustin Fletcher
just learned there's a Media section, definitely Dennis Commetti

Last edited:

My theory is on Russell Ebert becoming a legend
That was my first thought, but then next thought was the SMA chasing events. WA have 2 legends Farmer and Cable, both played over 100 games in the VFL. I think Russel will be closer to no.40 not no.26 legend.

Edit Blight will get a legends gig before Russell.

Last edited:
Would be truly deserved, but if the SAnfools have any say in it people like Blighty (arguably fair enough), Ricciuto and McLeod would get it ahead of Russell.

The AFL website and Wikipedia page say Rucci is on the selection committee, although that info hasn't been updated since 2014 so things may have changed.

Rucci is still a selector. One of the 6 selected this year will be an umpire, administrator or media person, given none last year were selected. 2016 selections
http://www.afl.com.au/news/event-news/hall-of-fame/
* retired with in 10 years - Ben Hart and Nigel Lappin
* 4 older players Paul Bagshaw 60-70's, Maurice Rioli 70-80's, Ray Sorrell 50-60's and Verdun Howell 50-60's.

From October 2015
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-28/change-to-hall-of-fame-eligibility-criteria
PLAYERS will need to be retired for five years to become eligible for Australian Football Hall of Fame induction under new eligibility criteria approved by the AFL Commission on Wednesday..... Chris Judd and Adam Goodes, who both retired this season, will need to wait until 2021......
The Hall of Fame selection guidelines ensure:
- no more than six people can be inducted any one year
- a minimum of two recently retired players (within 10 years of each induction ceremony), are to be inducted each year
- One inductee from the umpire, administrator, media categories every two years to be included, and
- Hall of Fame selectors are appointed for an initial term of three years, with two further opportunities to be appointed for subsequent three-year terms.

Coaches, umpires, administrators and media representatives must have been retired from their role to be considered for eligibility.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-28/change-to-hall-of-fame-eligibility-criteria

Also Mike Fitzpatrick - on recommendation of Barry Cable - wrote to state footy organisations at end of 2015 after the changes, and asked them to make submissions on players in their leagues who have missed out so far, and should be considered for a spot in the HOF.

How Ebert wasn't given Legend status when the thing opened was a horrendous oversight.

Now he's subject to that drip-feed percentage rule which means Tony Locketts, Ablett Jnrs and Chris Judds will appear at a faster rate than he'll get chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How Ebert wasn't given Legend status when the thing opened was a horrendous oversight.

Now he's subject to that drip-feed percentage rule which means Tony Locketts, Ablett Jnrs and Chris Judds will appear at a faster rate than he'll get chances.

That moment you realise Russell Ebert is on the same tier of the Hall of Fame as Dean Kemp, Mark Bickley and Nigel Lappin.

I've written before, but the Legend status is an unnecessary wank by the AFL. To try and separate players into the top 10% vs the rest, is a complete unnecessary waste of time and effort and its disingenuous to all players inducted. We pinched the HOF idea from baseball who did the first one in world sports in 1936, in Cooperstown upstate NY where the game was said to have been founded and first played 100 years earlier. None of the big 4 North American sports have a legend status and try and divide players who get inducted into the HOF. Once you are in you are equally honoured, is their attitude.

I've written before, but the Legend status is an unnecessary wank by the AFL. To try and separate players into the top 10% vs the rest, is a complete unnecessary waste of time and effort and its disingenuous to all players inducted. We pinched the HOF idea from baseball who did the first one in world sports in 1936, in Cooperstown upstate NY where the game was said to have been founded and first played 100 years earlier. None of the big 4 North American sports have a legend status and try and divide players who get inducted into the HOF. Once you are in you are equally honoured, is their attitude.

Agree but given we have the legend status thing, you can't really do a half arsed job of it. Looking at the list of legends v regular hall of famers, there are easily a dozen or more regular hall of famers who undeniably belong right alongside the legends but for whatever reason just sit there waiting for their turn to be 'drip fed' in.

Agree but given we have the legend status thing, you can't really do a half arsed job of it. Looking at the list of legends v regular hall of famers, there are easily a dozen or more regular hall of famers who undeniably belong right alongside the legends but for whatever reason just sit there waiting for their turn to be 'drip fed' in.

So that it is a news item every year. If they had put them in at the beginning there would be very few to add for another 10/15 years.

russ_infographic.jpg

And as I've posted previously, while there are queries on the comparability of achievements across competitions, Ebert's year at North Melbourne was a resounding success and proved his capability at the highest level. In his first and only year at VFL level, Russell played 25 games for North Melbourne, kicked 15 goals, polled 9 Brownlow Medal votes (3rd highest for North that year, behind Gary Dempsey and Ross Glendinning and ahead of North’s recognised VFL stars such as Malcolm Blight, Keith Greig, Stan Alves and Wayne Schimmelbusch), and accumulated 534 possessions for the season back when that was a measure of impact on a game, especially for a player with Russell’s sublime skills. All this while continuing to live in Adelaide, training with Port during the week and travelling to Melbourne to play on weekends. Ron Barassi had no doubt that had Ebert joined the VFL at a younger age he would have been a champion of that competition, just as he was at Port Adelaide. Thankfully, Russell’s commitment was to Port Adelaide.

But it's not just on-field football that should get you legend status. For me a legend of the game contributes to and promotes the game in all its facets. Russell gives tirelessly of himself not only to football but to the disadvantaged as well, never expecting recognition or reward. Just as one example, I remember when I was at high school, we had a worker from the Crippled Children's Association addressing a school assembly and telling us how Russell would turn up there every Thursday night after training in his footy gear and meet the kids.

And no one in SA has had such a powerful ongoing presence at a football club as Russell. Even now as Lockhart Road will attest, Russell is still very much the face of Port Adelaide in an official capacity and is revered by players and fans alike. He is the Bruce Springsteen of football in SA.

You wonder what Kelvin Templeton and the Footscray team would have thought of the champion Russell Ebert, after a 20 kicks, 12 handballs, 10 marks, 2 goals performance in only his second VFL game.

You wonder what Kelvin Templeton and the Footscray team would have thought of the champion Russell Ebert, after a 20 kicks, 12 handballs, 10 marks, 2 goals performance in only his second VFL game.

That Achilles Jones was real ;)

I wonder how many of Blighty's 8 goals were fed to him by Russell...and who got the Brownlow votes for that game

I wonder if they would include both Ebert and Blight at the same time.

As its in Adelaide I think it would be fitting.

Would also be the right thing to do regarding football politics in SA.
The stupid legend status says that no more than 10% of inductees can be legends. That's why legend upgrades happen ever 2nd year, as only 6 can be inducted every year and over 2 years at least one coach/administrator/umpire must be inducted. There isn't enough room for 2 to be inducted as these new legends.

This. So much, this.

I even have friends in Victoria ask me why on earth Ebert isn't a HoF Legend.

It's blindingly obvious that he should be, hopefully with it being held here this travesty will be corrected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back