Mega Thread Bachar Houli has been reported for this incident with Jed Lamb

How many weeks should Bachar Houli get for striking Jed Lamb?

• 1 week

Votes: 17 3.3%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 44 8.4%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 130 24.9%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 332 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on !.add to that the tanking issues that were swept under the carpet because certain clubs were already struggling.
Trial by media.

Did houli deserve weeks?
Yes

Does 2 weeks suffice given most people would accept that it was a botched attempt at the hit was aimed at breaking a hold, and not at knocking out a player (or hitting them in the head at all)?
Yes

Did the media build it up as a cowardly hit, as it creates headlines for a week?
Yes

No thats why there would be a range of penalties based on circumstances.

Like a charge in criminal courts, some are more serious than others, have differing circumstances (some mitigating) but attract a penalty that corresponds more with the nature of the offence than any outcome.

As an example DUI. Serious offence. Penalties are generally severe but based on circumstances may be reduced somewhat or enhanced somewhat but that isnt based on outcome which is the same.
So you would take the result into account then?

He had a go at religion that is what I was referring to

"Hard to say for sure but religious people have to reconcile a whole lot of irrationality"
Well no. You said don't bring religion into it.

Probably just easier to admit you're wrong. No one is buying you changing the point after the fact.

What's wrong with his statement on religion?

Geez your grasping at straws with a thuggish act. What he did (Swinging the arm back to try break a jumper tug) happens in many games and if he had contacted Lambs arm or body instead of head there would not have even been a fee kick paid. It's not the act he (and others) are being punished for but the result.

The incident was ajudged intentional, high contact, high impact. Contrary opinions to that are now moot. The appeal will be about the merits of the penalty for those actions.

They never manage to call the ex girlfriend for a character witness the other direction.

Really, you should need a few hundred positive character witness testimonies to count. Even the worst person ever has a couple of mates.
It's not how many you have; it's who you have. If the PM and a celebrity say you're a good bloke, you must be a good bloke.

I'm sure Turnbull knows him intimately.

why are the Blues here so hell bent on hanging Houli? A couple of weeks back the Tigers told a furphy to make sure Buddy didn't get anything for a high hit on Menadue, the opposite seems to be the case here, not satisfied with 3 to 2? Is there something more to the BF Blues fans reaction here, a deeper anger coming through?
Our player got knocked out cold behind the play.

1. We care for our players
2. We care for our team
3. We played a man down practically the whole match. This illegal act benefitted the culprits. It wasn't like we're such a great team that we can deal with that.
4. This kind of act could kill.
5. The whole footy world knows he deserves more than 2 weeks for that act.
6. The use of celebrity character witnesses for an on field matter is plain ridiculous and stinks of someone/team that doesn't want to pay for their actions.
7. They turned this into a circus.
8. As fans of a team that has copped it's fair share of behind the play aggression, once the punishment is dealt, we get on with life.

If you're instigating that Carlton fans are only after blood because of racism, I assure you we aren't. For one, I have been one of the most vocal on here and guess what, I share nationality with the guy and was over the moon when he got drafted and see him play so often.

Plus the Lebanese flag was flying in the Carlton cheersquad before people realised what Lebanon was. Let's say if Lygon St is the spiritual Street of the club, Sydney Rd is not far behind. Carlton would probably have the highest percentage of supporters who share the same ethnicity and religion with Houli.

So no, it's not the person, not to nationality nor the religion... It is this individual action by just another footy player.

So you would take the result into account then?

No.

In the example given, the result or outcome is the same ie stopped, breathalysed, arrested, charged.

Penalty can be varied based on circumstances but will involve a minimum time of licence suspension and a fine.

The circumstances here are NOT the result or outcome but things previous record, impact of medicines that may impair judgement, fatigue or something where the intent to drive drunk was forseeable and accepted such as driving to a Christmas party and then driving home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot add a poll to the thread on umpiring, MRP and rules. This has turned into a big topic and I'd like to see a poll on the main board to see what the BigFooty community is thinking.

It was high, reckless, high & Lamb was unable to return to the ground. I think Houli deserves 4 weeks, down to 3 weeks with his good record.

Last edited:
No.

In the example given, the result or outcome is the same ie stopped, breathalysed, arrested, charged.

Penalty can be varied based on circumstances but will involve a minimum time of licence suspension and a fine.

The circumstances here are NOT the result or outcome but things previous record, impact of medicines that may impair judgement, fatigue or something where the intent to drive drunk was forseeable and accepted such as driving to a Christmas party and then driving home.
I honestly can't even keep up with your random changing point

Yes or no, should outcome be considered at all in suspensions?

This is literally all they spoke about on the radio today. I was forced to listen to nova all day.

Back