Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think Baz has a foot in the door, in which he will keep commentating, and sometimes I think, cool - you are taking a leaf from the Denis handbook. But, then the old bias comes around. Tonight, was one night I watch a home game at home. Reason - camping trip with a diversion on the freeway and need to clean a boat.

So I settle in to Foxtel to watch the game and damn! Even the side comments correct him. Spurr is someone else. A holding of the jumper is blatant, but when missed in purple it is ok. Then the Ibbotson out of bounds is blatant, and the other one not (despite proximity from goal).

Perhaps the worst game I have endured. The final straw was the fantastic end to the game to only have silence in commentary. Nothing...zip...lost for words. If it was West Coast, it would have been ranting and raving. Great teams bla bla bla...

This is not a sour grapes thing. It is just a media piss me off with shite thing. Basil, get your s**t together and take a leaf out of Peter Bell's handbook in which call a spade a spade.

Last edited:

It's the actual tone of his voice that really gets to me.

For example when that North player took a speccy - it was a pretty good mark but his commentary just completely took the wind out of it - it sounded like a news reporter trying to manufacture excitement. And it went on and on and on at his nauseating pseudo high-volume droll tone.

He's completely out of his depth.

How does he not know the players names? He seems to commentate Freo games every week, but gets multiple players wrong every week!

"The two number 2s opposing each other, Logue and Mullett" umm.. yeah Mullett is 17 you knob.

It's not just freo players he was getting everyone's name wrong.

You'd think a "professional" would learn all the names/numbers of the players.

It's the actual tone of his voice that really gets to me.

For example when that North player took a speccy - it was a pretty good mark but his commentary just completely took the wind out of it - it sounded like a news reporter trying to manufacture excitement. And it went on and on and on at his nauseating pseudo high-volume droll tone.

He's completely out of his depth.
I'll never forgive him from ruining Kyle Chalmers' 100m gold at the Olympics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does he not know the players names? He seems to commentate Freo games every week, but gets multiple players wrong every week!
It was funny when Luke Darcy of all people corrected him, the bloke that once got Mayne and Crichton mixed up for a whole game.

You know you're a bad commentator when you make Darcy look good.
Disagree. Basil is appallingly woeful, but Darcy is worse at getting our players wrong. For every error Basil made Darcy made two. Hell he mixed up Weller and Spurr more than once, and Spurr wears flouro boots.

The both spend half the broadcast calling for frees against Freo.

Although Basil hit rock bottom when he wanted a free against BHill for holding the ball when he kicked it!

And Basil is the bigger flog.

"The two number 2s opposing each other, Logue and Mullett" umm.. yeah Mullett is 17 you knob.

It's not just freo players he was getting everyone's name wrong.

You'd think a "professional" would learn all the names/numbers of the players.
It would be hard to know all the players with 18 teams (I watch loads of footy but still sure as hell don't) but a pro like Dennis or Bruce I bet would at least watch a couple of recent quarters from the teams they are due to call that weekend for prep and spend a bit of time memorising all the numbers.

Actually for the s**t umps cop they seem to know all the players names.

Sympathies go to North fans for Basil ruining what might end up being MOTY. Has the uncanny knack of uttering the worst dialogue combined with the most faux of faux excitement during the memorable moments. Hilly's running goal in Geelong anyone?

Whilst still not good enough obviously at least Darcy has the excuse of not doing our games that often, Basil the arsehat we always get and is from WA, he should know every player's name perfectly.

He's been a sports "journalist" for over 20 ******* years ffs. How is it even possible to be that incompetent?

Disagree. Basil is appallingly woeful, but Darcy is worse at getting our players wrong. For every error Basil made Darcy made two. Hell he mixed up Weller and Spurr more than once, and Spurr wears flouro boots.

The both spend half the broadcast calling for frees against Freo.

Although Basil hit rock bottom when he wanted a free against BHill for holding the ball when he kicked it!

And Basil is the bigger flog.

Excellent analysis!

Yeah Luke Darcy is the guy who, before Lachie Neale had re-signed, was sure 'he is headed back to Melbourne', but Spazil is even worse, he is just so smarmy sounding, it irritates me so much. He's the same on breakfast radio, he always comes across as the voice of the common man or something, when in reality he is a yuppy flog. I remember seeing him playing for West Perth against South Freo and he had a ponytail and he was the glamour boy forward, everytime he touched the ball a group of girls would squeal with delight, hard to believe but true.

Actually for the s**t umps cop they seem to know all the players names.

That's because they relish being able to call them by their first names and pretend that they're equals on the footy field. 46 frees combined tonight, it's like they're trying to steal all the attention for themselves.

but i digress, Basil is such a smarmy campaigner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back