Best AFL team of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some interesting year combinations there. I think Geelong of the 80s (despite no premiership) were as good as the current model. If you start with premiership then work surrounding years, then Geelong should be 06-08 (prob include 09 by rd.22 next year).

Similarly, Richmond over 13 years?

You can't really go past the Hawthorn domination of the 80s. (Don't forget we won in '91, and made finals the next season too). Or for the modern equivalent Lions 01-03.

Otherwise it would be the Melbourne or Collingwood eras when the game was still amateur.

North Melbourne of the 90s wasn't too bad either. They should have won more flags with the players they had.

And I'm very surprised there's no Carlton side amongst that list. Essendon of the 60s was a pretty good fit as well.

And look, although Collingwood had the wobbles between 1958 and 1990, we were always up there. The only difference between Collingwood of 1901 - 1953 and the Collingwood of 1953 - 2008 is that we won the premierships in the first half. We still made the grand finals, just for some bizarre, frustrating reason, never win them.

We still have that curse it seems, hence why I empathise with the Cats. :)

Carlton 1906-07-1908???:confused:

1906: won 16 out of 19 games and finished with percentage of 154.
1907: won 15 out of 19 games and finished with percentage of 156.
1908: won 19 out of 20 games and finished with a percentage of 174.

and we would have won a few more if it weren't for other clubs bribing our players and also in-fighting which caused about 8 or 9 of our best 10 players to leave.

surely, this team has to be rated as the greatest of all-time behind melbourne's in the 50s.:confused:

Melbourne won 6 flags in 7 years in the 50's and 60's have to be the best, and yes it hurts we have not had other success to show since then :p

How can you have West Coast 1990-2000 when they weren't even the best team in that period of time???

Some of the sides put in the poll are a joke

Fancy putting Essendon 2000 and Geelong 2007 in there with one flag

And putting Richmond in there over a 13 year span is laughable, it should have been from 67-74

And where the hell is the carlton Side from 79-82, 3 flags in 4 years and the only reason we didn't win in 80 when we finished equal top with the Cats that year , was Percy flipped out in the finals and We couldn't contain Bartlett in the finals but who could
Remember 79 Carlton won the flag , jezza and Harris had the bust up at the end of season , then we had the joke of percy coaching the side and the players today say no one bothered to listen to him and we finished equal top and then Parkin came in and we won back to back

Carlton 1906-07-1908???:confused:

1906: won 16 out of 19 games and finished with percentage of 154.
1907: won 15 out of 19 games and finished with percentage of 156.
1908: won 19 out of 20 games and finished with a percentage of 174.

and we would have won a few more if it weren't for other clubs bribing our players and also in-fighting which caused about 8 or 9 of our best 10 players to leave.

surely, this team has to be rated as the greatest of all-time behind melbourne's in the 50s.:confused:

Nope. For one thing, Collingwood went four in a row, as did Melbourne. Secondly, the game back then wasn't as professional as it has since become, i don't think you can read too much into that. Only ten teams i think at that stage :thumbsu:

How are you supposed to compare sides who were successful in 1984-85 to Geelong 2007?

Really its all a matter of opinion and votes are along club lines anyway.

Depends how you look at it i guess.

The Collingwood team of 20s/30s won 4 in a row
Melbourne of the 50s won 5/6 (or whatever it was)
They would have to be seen as the best teams of all time. For sheer dominance over a period.

1 premiership teams such as Geelong (07) Essendon (00) shouldnt be in this poll.

The argument that gets brought up about the fact that those flags were won in the 'early days', which seem to be of less worth (according to many supporters) is bs!
You can only beat who you play. For teams such as the Collingwood team of 29, to go through the H&A season undefeated is still worth its weight in gold.
Do we think less of Bradman because he played when cricket was less professional? No, we dont

For sheer dominance and bias (on my part) ill have to vote for the Pies of 27-30 :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Brisbane and Collingwood sides that won 3 and 4 flags respectivly are outstanding.

I have no knowledge of the Melbourne side that won 3, or 4 out of 5, but that must have been a brilliant side too.

These ones for mine because they were able to do it over a long period of time.

Essendons was pretty good too but missed out on the flags in '99 and '01.

Nope. For one thing, Collingwood went four in a row, as did Melbourne. Secondly, the game back then wasn't as professional as it has since become, i don't think you can read too much into that. Only ten teams i think at that stage :thumbsu:

i forgot about collingwood's, make us 3rd.

and your point about how professional the comp was is irrelevant. using that logic, melbourne of this year would beat essendon of 1984. every era is different and you can only compare teams against other teams they are competing with.

Lions 01-03

Easily one of the most terrifying sides on paper.

Yet the fact that Carlton 95 doesn't even get a mention suprises me a lot. 2 losses. no more than Geelong 08 and we won the flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back