Best Player Acquisitions Of Recent Years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Wilson & Joel Hamling have been very good for us, they cost us pick 57 and a future 2nd rounder and pick 35 (and loose change) respectively.
We would have loved to have kept Hamling (he'd definitely be in our best 22) but he wanted to go home.

He counts for us too though - we picked him up for nothing as a DFA after spending time at Geelong without debut (they had quality KPDs ahead of him) and we turned him into a premiership CHB.

I'll actually nominate our entire premiership backline for astute pick-ups / acquisitions:

Boyd (rookie) Roberts (PSD pick) Morris (Rookie)
Biggs (former rookie, traded from Sydney for virtually nothing) Hamling (DFA) JJ (Rookie) / Wood (pick 43)

The highest pick of the bunch was pick 43 - and he ended up a premiership captain. Boyd was taken from Frankston seconds!

Not buddy franklin

No flag

Oddly the big big trades of Dangerfield, buddy .....Ablett to Gold Coast have not produced a flag yet

There’s been so many good players move ...

Hard to go past Hibberd but I can’t believe how good Melksham has been since the latter half of last year. He’s starting to look like a bargain :huh:

Frustrating player with us. Could look like a star one week, and spud it up completely the next.

Has most definitely found a higher ceiling AND consistency at the Dees, so yes, I think what seemed to be slight overs for him at the time (a second rounder) now seems a good deal.

All in all I think both parties happy with the twin transactions (Hibberd/Melksham).

We lost two players that wanted to move, and in return effectively picked up Redman and Begley - both likely (if not certain) to be best 22 for us in 2019.

Melksham has been great for us. Since he came back against Gold Coast last year after being dropped, his been a revelation. I was far from enthused when we traded for him but he’s move forward has been great. Kicks clutch goals to.

Hibberd likewise. Add Lever into the conversation to now he’s finding his feet. Pretty happy with the players we’ve been targeting.

Frustrating player with us. Could look like a star one week, and spud it up completely the next.

Has most definitely found a higher ceiling AND consistency at the Dees, so yes, I think what seemed to be slight overs for him at the time (a second rounder) now seems a good deal.

All in all I think both parties happy with the twin transactions (Hibberd/Melksham).

We lost two players that wanted to move, and in return effectively picked up Redman and Begley - both likely (if not certain) to be best 22 for us in 2019.
It looked for all money like we’d overpaid but in this case Goodwn knew what he was doing. It had his fingerprints all over it.

Melksham is proof positive you can come to love any player who performs well in the jumper. Hated him at the dons.

Interesting to note that in most of the big wins listed in this thread, the clubs in non-traditional AFL markets are the ones getting their arse handed to them on a plate (usually by a Victorian club)

Interesting to note that in most of the big wins listed in this thread, the clubs in non-traditional AFL markets are the ones getting their arse handed to them on a plate (usually by a Victorian club)
Depends if you include Sydney Swans in that conversation - their record with players is generally good.

Richmond got a 22 year old Nankervis for pick 46.

10 year ruck for a third rounder, not bad.

Caddy for a second rounder.

Andy Collins for Grigg, and Houli in the PSD are also two huge ones.

Those pick ups led to a premiership, a trade is pretty damn succesful if it results in that

Last edited:
Hawks definitely have had a lot of success in this regard.

Not enough acknowledgement of how ridiculously good the Burgoyne acquisition was.

Other recent wins, Dew, Lake, Gibson, Gunston...

Beat me to it. Hawks rolled the dice and it turned out to be a stroke of genius. One of the classiest players I've seen.

Dunn
Howe
Varcoe
Jack Crisp
Pick #5 in the 2014 Draft (used to select Jordan De Goey)
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Sam Murray
James Aish
Adam Treloar
Daniel Wells

Make whatever lulz you like about Levi Greenwood (has been underwhelming and/or injured a lot of the time) or Chris Mayne (is actually playing decent footy this year), but we're going well with our acquisitions at Collingwood I think ;)

You are happy with the return on Wells?

Aish is another that has been average until recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not buddy franklin

No flag

Oddly the big big trades of Dangerfield, buddy .....Ablett to Gold Coast have not produced a flag yet

There’s been so many good players move ...
This is the worst measurement criteria. Trades can only be considered a success if your team wins the flag?

Tom Mitchell looks to be a great pick up by Hawthorn, but if they don't win a flag then it's a bust? Tony Lockett was a fantastic import for the Sydney Swans, but we call that trade a bust because there was no flag?

The Buddy trade was a ridiculously good piece of business by the Swans, regardless of whether they win a flag or not.

The Buddy trade was a ridiculously good piece of business by the Swans, regardless of whether they win a flag or not.

I completely disagree.

Such was the expense of recruiting Buddy, it came with an almost immediate flow on effect in relation to player retention, for a side that had finished no lower than seventh in the previous four seasons.

It was a significant move, designed to secure the Swans a flag, or quite frankly, multiple flags.

Whilst I agree with your contention that player acquisition cannot be judged on winning a flag alone, in the case of Buddy it is the single metric needed when assessing its success or failure.

In short, if the Swans fail to win a flag with Buddy, it was a poor list management decision.

Melksham has been great for us. Since he came back against Gold Coast last year after being dropped, his been a revelation. I was far from enthused when we traded for him but he’s move forward has been great. Kicks clutch goals to.

Hibberd likewise. Add Lever into the conversation to now he’s finding his feet. Pretty happy with the players we’ve been targeting.

Hibberd has always been a gun and it’s great to see him back to his best. The change in club has been great for him, really seems to have freshened him up.

Melksham has surprised me, I never even considered him a forward threat, he was just an inconsistent midfielder for us. It’s a fantastic case of targeted recruiting by Goodwin who was apparently a huge fan of his when he was an Essendon assistant. He definitely saw something that a succession of Essendon coaches didn’t.

Of all the guns the Hawks have brought in (and let's be honest there's been a few - Gunston, Lake, Mitchell, Hale, Gibson) there's one that stands head and shoulders above the rest - Shaun Burgoyne!
The impact he has had at Hawthorn has been absolutely immense.

Adelaide: Betts
Brisbane: Charlie Cameron I guess. Was cool that he requested a trade to them
Carlton: Docherty
Collingwood: Chris Mayne
Essendon: James Stewart? Been pretty underrated.
Freo: Hamling has been really solid
Geelong: Zach Tuohy. Bargain, wasn't it?
Gold Coast: Jarrod Witts has been consistent getting the job done
GWS: Dunno, Heath Shaw?
Hawthorn: Titch
Melbourne:
North Melbourne:
Port Adelaide: Would have to be Ryder
Richmond: Nank for sure.
St Kilda: Membrey
Sydney: Franklin
West Coast: Yeo's been awesome
Western Bulldogs: Carlton may regret getting rid of Gowers
Surely tongue in cheek to throw in Chris Mayne as Collingwood’s best player acquisition of recent years? You certainly have a wry/warped sense of humour.

Dunn
Howe
Varcoe
Jack Crisp
Pick #5 in the 2014 Draft (used to select Jordan De Goey)
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Sam Murray
James Aish
Adam Treloar
Daniel Wells

Make whatever lulz you like about Levi Greenwood (has been underwhelming and/or injured a lot of the time) or Chris Mayne (is actually playing decent footy this year), but we're going well with our acquisitions at Collingwood I think ;)

You forgot Quentin lynch, Jordan Russell,
Clinton Young and Jesse White

Remove this Banner Ad

Back