World Cup Best World Cup ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

the group stage was the best in memory for me. The knockout stage has been a let down but at least we've seen lots of extra time and some shoot outs. The fact we're seeing unfancied teams push others and take them to e.t, shoot outs has been great imo. I must admit I expected a hell of a lot more from the bigger teams too because yeah they're not looking great at all. As red alert said good in the sense that anyone of them could win it as should be the case by the time the semis arrive but this time more than any world cup that its been this close.

If the remaining games are the same quality as the quarters, then nope.

WC94 has pulled out in front. A good couple of semis and final would save this one.

Agreed. Those quarters were a yawn fest. In fact, the Round of 16 games were so much better. Here's hoping for two decent semis.

If the remaining games are the same quality as the quarters, then nope.

WC94 has pulled out in front. A good couple of semis and final would save this one.
Fair call. In 1994 we had Bulgaria pulling off a huge upset by beating defending champions Germany coming from a goal down { germans had a 2nd wrongly ruled out however } Brazil beat Holland 3-2 where the dutch did level after going 2-0 down. Italy beat Spain with a Baggio 88th minute winner and Romania and Sweden went to pens after Romania leveled in the 89th and Sweden also leveled in the 115th, 2-2 that finished.

2nd round games Italy vs Nigeria and Romania vs Argentina were world cup classics.

Would love a pair of cracking semis.

With the semi's approaching. I don't know about it being the best wc ever. But, as weird as it sounds, the knockout stages are the shittest part of the tournament. They just happen so fast. The group stages drags on a bit, and you can enjoy a lot more of the tournament. The knockout? Zoom, there she goes...:(
I had the same thoughts but came to '' accept '' the great event is leaving us. Group stage is beautiful 48 games I knew to appreciate the early part of the cup for the reasons you said. This tournament more than ever I hadn't looked forward to the k.o stage as that would mean there were only 16 games left. Maybe if you team is still in it you wouldn't view it as such.

Not to worry dodgyump, plenty more tournaments to come and euro qualifers to look forward to in the mean time as well as other various club sports. NFL just around the corner too. Nothing comes close to the world and euro cup imo but chin up son, make the most of today and the present and with a bit of luck you'll be at the next world cup or Euro 2016 in France.

As others have said, the quarters were all fairly dire matches. If the business end games can't produce high quality soccer, then this WC can not be called a classic. The semis and final might redeem this WC somewhat, but I wouldn't count on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After those quarter finals and this morning the average goals per game is around the same as France 98. (2.8 or so). Quite surprised that was the average for France.

This German team in the final? There's no chance of this being the best WC ever.

Serious? I think this German team is quite good. I'm hoping for them to face Argentina in the final, as I fear that it will be a shitfight (snoozefest) if they face the Dutch.

Goal record must have been smashed by now, especially after this morning?
France 98 had 171 goals in it. I think we're on 167 with 3 games remaining so we should top that.

Maybe a minor point. But I think a lot of games starting at midday in hot and humid conditions affected the standard.

Hasn't even come close to the atmosphere of Vuvuleza World Cup 2010.

This is a World Cup by South America for South America, "World" doesn't really mean much here.

You really need a more neutral continent when it comes to the more traditionally powerful teams.

Hasn't even come close to the atmosphere of Vuvuleza World Cup 2010.

This is a World Cup by South America for South America, "World" doesn't really mean much here.

You really need a more neutral continent when it comes to the more traditionally powerful teams.

Maybe...if you're one of the three people living outside Saharan Africa that actually enjoys that constant droning garbage. If they'd contained them just to South African games it might have been a fond novelty. As it was it ruined the tournament. Still can't watch any games. The singing and cheering here has been far more enjoyable.

Good group stage.
Pretty dull knockouts (save for 7-1).

Only really one convincing and deserving team, Germany.

Argentina were crap, especially for the strike force they had. Supposed world class strikers in Higuain and Aguero were rubbish.
Netherlands were far too defensive, especially given the cutting edge in attack that they possessed. Always tried to pinch a cheap victory in the last 5 minutes.
Brazil - emotionally immature team, cried like fanboys when Neymar got injured.

Have to agree with most of the points. Group Stages were really, really good. Died out a fair bit during knockout stages, like imadodgyumpire touched on, there is a lot at stake once you hit the last 16 so i think most nations are happy to sit back as opposed to going out to win. However, Belgium v USA and Germany v Brazil were absolutely my favourite games of the tournament.

maybe it wasn't "the best", but it will definitely enter the history due to the match Germany 7-1 Brazil :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back