Status
Not open for further replies.

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
As the AFL starts to negotiate media rights coverage and as they continue to try to convert those without traditional Aussie Rules backgrounds, one thing they may need to look at is the persistent bias shown in the media. If you follow an 'interstate' (i.e. non-Vic) team you are constantly marginalised. You are not made to feel like you are a part of something national. You are made to feel like your team is playing in an expanded VFL - it is Victorian based and biased. (And I will not start here on whether Aussie Rules areas like NT and Tas should have sides.)

Given 8/18 sides are not Vic-based then it would be reasonable to expect that coverage in the national media is proportional. (I understand local papers or shows will be parochial.) Trying to encourage a person from Qld or NSW to follow Aussie Rules is made more difficult when the commentators call the game from the Victorian sides perspective - you are made to feel like an outsider. So if Haw beat WCE it is about how Haw won. If WCE beat Haw then it is about how Haw lost. This might be okay in the Melbourne media (or the reverse in the WA media) but it is not okay in a national broadcast. Not if you wish to have an inclusive national comp.

And what is even worse than this bias is the incompetence - or maybe laziness - of the commentators. This shown by their relative lack of knowledge of the 'interstate' team.

In last nights match Brian Taylor noted at the start of the match that the Eagles were 'in red hot form'. And apparently Hutchings (a fringe player dropped for poor form) had been in 'good form'. Similarly, while there was discussion on the effects of Haw having no Brian Lake there was NO MENTION AT ALL about the Eagles having lost both ruckmen. There was no discussion about WCE coming into the match with only one ruckman and how that might affect things. Given the coverage is 3+ hours, and given they find time to prattle on about all manner of crap this may be a significant point worthy of quite some discussion. In fact it did get a mention - by Alistair Clarkson in his press conference - but even then this was not picked up on by the commentators. Maybe it would have been reasonable to discuss why Yeo was in the ruck and what effect having the (20 gamer) CHB McGovern in the ruck might have had on the backline etc etc.

Similarly in the two weekday free-to-air shows (Talking Footy and Footy Classified) I sometimes feel like I need to find out where the 'interstate' version is shown as I seem to be a watching the Vic version. We know that each week there must be focus on the large or popular Vic clubs regardless of whether there is anything of note to report. And often any commentary on the 'interstate' clubs is in passing or is superficial.
So if say Haw had been second and had been beaten by second last Ess then it would have been a big deal - with much discussion about the ramifications for Haw and discussion about had Ess improved. Similarly, if Bris win one after losing five who cares, but if it is Coll?

Etc etc etc

It was an utter shame that Cometti live was taken off the air. *clears throat*....Niiiiine fouuuur foourr ninnnnnne double ninnnnnne doubllllllle ninnnne this is commmetttiiiiii liiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

It was an utter shame that Cometti live was taken off the air. *clears throat*....Niiiiine fouuuur foourr ninnnnnne double ninnnnnne doubllllllle ninnnne this is commmetttiiiiii liiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

One of the first callers to the first episode of that show started with:

"Long time listener first time caller..."

Yeah it's very Vic bias but good luck to the flogs I say.

The s**t that bothers me is how our 06 flag is tainted because we had a few party boys on the list.
But when a Victorian Brownlow medialst comes out saying he was administrated a banned drug on national TV,
(to the same flog that claims our flag is tainted non the less) not a single word is spoken by the media.

This is called selective media and is no different to 99% of political parties and their media campaigns/rubbish.

richo loves to get stuck into us and wonders why we get stuck into him. haha

so what if biased. turn focus on the game . biased or unbiased commentary has zero effect about what happens on the field.

As the AFL starts to negotiate media rights coverage and as they continue to try to convert those without traditional Aussie Rules backgrounds, one thing they may need to look at is the persistent bias shown in the media. If you follow an 'interstate' (i.e. non-Vic) team you are constantly marginalised. You are not made to feel like you are a part of something national. You are made to feel like your team is playing in an expanded VFL - it is Victorian based and biased. (And I will not start here on whether Aussie Rules areas like NT and Tas should have sides.)

Given 8/18 sides are not Vic-based then it would be reasonable to expect that coverage in the national media is proportional. (I understand local papers or shows will be parochial.) Trying to encourage a person from Qld or NSW to follow Aussie Rules is made more difficult when the commentators call the game from the Victorian sides perspective - you are made to feel like an outsider. So if Haw beat WCE it is about how Haw won. If WCE beat Haw then it is about how Haw lost. This might be okay in the Melbourne media (or the reverse in the WA media) but it is not okay in a national broadcast. Not if you wish to have an inclusive national comp.

And what is even worse than this bias is the incompetence - or maybe laziness - of the commentators. This shown by their relative lack of knowledge of the 'interstate' team.

In last nights match Brian Taylor noted at the start of the match that the Eagles were 'in red hot form'. And apparently Hutchings (a fringe player dropped for poor form) had been in 'good form'. Similarly, while there was discussion on the effects of Haw having no Brian Lake there was NO MENTION AT ALL about the Eagles having lost both ruckmen. There was no discussion about WCE coming into the match with only one ruckman and how that might affect things. Given the coverage is 3+ hours, and given they find time to prattle on about all manner of crap this may be a significant point worthy of quite some discussion. In fact it did get a mention - by Alistair Clarkson in his press conference - but even then this was not picked up on by the commentators. Maybe it would have been reasonable to discuss why Yeo was in the ruck and what effect having the (20 gamer) CHB McGovern in the ruck might have had on the backline etc etc.

Similarly in the two weekday free-to-air shows (Talking Footy and Footy Classified) I sometimes feel like I need to find out where the 'interstate' version is shown as I seem to be a watching the Vic version. We know that each week there must be focus on the large or popular Vic clubs regardless of whether there is anything of note to report. And often any commentary on the 'interstate' clubs is in passing or is superficial.
So if say Haw had been second and had been beaten by second last Ess then it would have been a big deal - with much discussion about the ramifications for Haw and discussion about had Ess improved. Similarly, if Bris win one after losing five who cares, but if it is Coll?

Etc etc etc

"You are not made to feel like you are a part of something national"

With respect it's not really a national comp. How can it be when in NSW and Qld the sport of choice is League.

They are protecting their biggest market, i.e. Vic. The other issue is the blatant incompetence from those over East who get the gig to commentate or write about the non Vic teams. How can a commentator call Matt Priddis "Luke Priddis" for 2 plus years?

These guys have jobs and they aren't even professional enough to watch the games each week and learn a thing or two about the players in reserves or anything like that, or who is actually playing well. They get given notes pre-game and often these are wrong. You can always tell who actually watches games and follows closely, guys like Gerard Healy, The Duck, Kingie etc.

You are right the commentary was cringe worthy. No mention at all on the impact losing Nick and Sinkers would have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never really cared much about the Vic bias stuff but this year it has been really obvious. Freo has been on top of the ladder for the whole year and even back when they were in good form not much was said about them. It was all about the Hawks. When Collingwood was in the 4 they were being talked up. Now we have seen Richmond and the Dogs get a fair bit of air time the former especially. We took care of Richmond yet nobody cared. I also agree with the OP with nothing much said about our outs last night. Like they didn't care for us at all and expected a Hawks victory anyway. Wish they could get some decent national non biased commentators to join the odd couple that there already are.

The footy shows are another story altogether.

I'd send in the entire game of Adelaide vs Carlton about 10 weeks ago as the definitive proof, but by god is the coverage for us brutal as well. Really nothing to be done for it though, no way of changing it until we get a few more ex-Eagles or at least people with a clue to replace the Breretons, Taylors, Darcys, McGuires, Richardsons, Frawleys etc etc

The ones who are the best (Huddo aside) are the radios callers on national calls. As you say, let local shows be bias or much more focused on the local boys sure, but national ABC calls are terrific, Gerard Whately in particular. Basically need to clone Gerard and Huddo and have them cover every game to have any chance of intelligence.

Sorry in my original 'vent' I was pretty much referring to the commercial TV callers and commentators. I agree ABC radio is far more professional and even handed.

How brave were Hawthorn last night, especially their ruckman...What's his name, was it Big Bouy? That's what the man on TV was calling him.

My favourite part is after lasts nights game was "brave Hawthorn" not lycett shoulders gargantuan load or Yeo beats opponent 15 cms taller and 20kg heavier in ruck hit out

It'd be nice to see some fresh perspectives in the box and a little less banter. More actual commentary. Though I love Huddo's work and Healy is knowledgeable. Commetti is still a great caller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back