Biased/incompetent media coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone else get annoyed with various media outlets using 3 vertical stripes as our team's icon?

Correct me if I am wrong (as I'm sure someone will) but didn't our move from blue-gold to blue-yellow-white coincide with sponsorship from the Buckridge Group - whose corporate colours where blue-yellow-white?

And anyone else notice The Age article by Sam McClure that tonight Gill McLachlan is hosting his annual 'coaches dinner' at his (Melbourne) home? McClure notes McLachlan "makes it clear each year that interstate coaches aren't expected to come".
BTW this year Beveridge can't make it and Fagan just happens to be in Melbourne. Otherwise it is "the 10 senior coaches".

So can I assume these 'non-interstate' coaches will take up issues like unequal fixturing, the effects of fortnightly travel on recovery and longevity, the fact that it is apparently further from Melb to Perth than Perth to Melb, the unfair home ground advantage of the MCG-based teams in a GF, that a FTB tag is attached to one Perth team while overlooking home ground advantages at Launceston or Geelong, etc etc?

I will go and have my tablets now.

And anyone else notice The Age article by Sam McClure that tonight Gill McLachlan is hosting his annual 'coaches dinner' at his (Melbourne) home? McClure notes McLachlan "makes it clear each year that interstate coaches aren't expected to come".
BTW this year Beveridge can't make it and Fagan just happens to be in Melbourne. Otherwise it is "the 10 senior coaches".

So can I assume these 'non-interstate' coaches will take up issues like unequal fixturing, the effects of fortnightly travel on recovery and longevity, the fact that it is apparently further from Melb to Perth than Perth to Melb, the unfair home ground advantage of the MCG-based teams in a GF, that a FTB tag is attached to one Perth team while overlooking home ground advantages at Launceston or Geelong, etc etc?

No access to any of the melbourne grounds for training or even captain runs would be something that needs to be brought up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why should interstate coaches be expected to go?

They're busy trying to get players up for a game on the weekend and going to Melbourne takes them out for the best part of two days. It's an unnecessary distraction at best.

Those issues can all be discussed at another time, and to be honest just as easily by someone who is not a senior coach - e.g. the CEO.

Why should interstate coaches be expected to go?

They're busy trying to get players up for a game on the weekend and going to Melbourne takes them out for the best part of two days. It's an unnecessary distraction at best.

Those issues can all be discussed at another time, and to be honest just as easily by someone who is not a senior coach - e.g. the CEO.
I agree, but it defeats the whole purpose of the Coach's dinner with the CEO.

I agree, but it defeats the whole purpose of the Coach's dinner with the CEO.
Only if the purpose is for it to be a major chance for the coaches to raise their gripes. Maybe it is, I dunno, but there are certainly other avenues to do that as well.

It probably is a bit cliquey, but I don't really see the issue. It sounds like the invitation is to everyone with the understanding that attendance isn't compulsory for those who it would put out a lot.

To me it looks more than anything like a PR exercise for Gil.

Correct me if I am wrong (as I'm sure someone will) but didn't our move from blue-gold to blue-yellow-white coincide with sponsorship from the Buckridge Group - whose corporate colours where blue-yellow-white?
Tri-panel uniform and current logo were introduced 2000. BGC were major sponsor 97-99. White piping was first introduced on the wings jumper int 95.

Yeah it feels like a bit of a Victorian clique.

Yes that was my exact point. If the reason for the dinner is so Gill can listen to the concerns of the coaches then it is, of course, going to pretty much exclude non-Vic coaches (because it is in Melbourne mid-season). And so any concerns unique to non-Vic clubs will not get raised. And any issues only concerning Vic clubs may get an airing (without 'interstate' coach feedback).

I agree it would be a distraction for non-Vic coaches going. But given this thread is about pro-Vic bias I am raising this as an example.

I don't think he should be having dinner with any group of coaches - and especially not those who represent clubs already disproportionately advantaged. Ideally, any coaches meeting should involve all coaches at a mutually convenient time (like off-season) and should not automatically be in Melbourne.

The issues I raised - tongue-in-cheek - will not get a mention from the Vic coaches. Why should they? These are some of the things that advantage the Vic clubs to the disadvantage of the non-Vic clubs.

Yes that was my exact point. If the reason for the dinner is so Gill can listen to the concerns of the coaches then it is, of course, going to pretty much exclude non-Vic coaches (because it is in Melbourne mid-season). And so any concerns unique to non-Vic clubs will not get raised. And any issues only concerning Vic clubs may get an airing (without 'interstate' coach feedback).

I agree it would be a distraction for non-Vic coaches going. But given this thread is about pro-Vic bias I am raising this as an example.

I don't think he should be having dinner with any group of coaches - and especially not those who represent clubs already disproportionately advantaged. Ideally, any coaches meeting should involve all coaches at a mutually convenient time (like off-season) and should not automatically be in Melbourne.

The issues I raised - tongue-in-cheek - will not get a mention from the Vic coaches. Why should they? These are some of the things that advantage the Vic clubs to the disadvantage of the non-Vic clubs.
Why didn't they hold it in Adelaide - maybe then it would be more fair as it would mean WA coaches not having to travel as far and also the Vic coaches would have to travel:rolleyes:

Why didn't they hold it in Adelaide - maybe then it would be more fair as it would mean WA coaches not having to travel as far and also the Vic coaches would have to travel:rolleyes:

Because Gil's house isn't in Adelaide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back