Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

Starting before xmas isnt going to give you the best chance at internationals

They dont pay the money, start it after the tests and get all the test starts in. Raises the quality a shitload plus the touring teams players could sign also

Yes it doesnt suit school holidays but big deal. The product is s**t because its all catered to children and children arent the ones paying money. It can still be fun without the childish s**t

Yes it doesnt suit school holidays but big deal. The product is sh*t because its all catered to children and children arent the ones paying money. It can still be fun without the childish sh*t
Agreed. The early Scorchers days at the Furnace (WACA) were epic. Plenty of kids there, but it very much felt like a product adults could (and did) enjoy. Now it's just a mess of embarrassing contrived rules, poor diluted squads and an overly bloated fixture.

They're ruined what was a pretty exciting competition.

Agreed. The early Scorchers days at the Furnace (WACA) were epic. Plenty of kids there, but it very much felt like a product adults could (and did) enjoy. Now it's just a mess of embarrassing contrived rules, poor diluted squads and an overly bloated fixture.

They're ruined what was a pretty exciting competition.

When TV ratings became more important than bums on seats, that's when it became silly.

Should start Boxing Day, end Australia Day. Put all finals in one city to help compress them.

Elimination and Qualifying double header on 23rd, Prelim on 24th, Final on Australia Day.

4 week competition and you might just attract some internationals.

I agree with that one and please run the shield right up to xmas.

I agree with that one and please run the shield right up to xmas.
Biggest disappoint is the Shiel not running in line with test cricket. Incredibly frustrating hearing people use BBL form as a justification for selection in a high pressure cauldron of test cricket.

Biggest disappoint is the Shiel not running in line with test cricket. Incredibly frustrating hearing people use BBL form as a justification for selection in a high pressure cauldron of test cricket.

And Luke Parker using BBL form to suggest Renshaw should be going to Pakistan,India and Sri Lanka.

My pre-teen son and mates his age are more interested in watching the Tests.
Among our cricket going crowd is my mate's now nineteen year old niece, she's been coming with us for a few years now and has really picked up on the game. We've taught her how to do the Times cryptic in the down time too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, who was the last person selected for Australia in a test match on the basis of their T20 performances?

And secondly, playing a BBL game a week before his test debut didn't hurt Scott Boland. Players change formats all the right - maybe they're better at handling it than you think.

Article on what is wrong and how to fix the BBL, It's paywalled so I posted the whole article

Can these changes save flatlining Big Bash?​

What would you change about the Big Bash? It is a question cricket fan asks themselves every year.

The seemingly never-ending tournament has lost its sparkle.

Adam Zampa admitted the fun factor is waning for players while the glory days of 80,883 packing the MCG to watch Chris Gayle and Kevin Pietersen go head-to-head in the Melbourne derby feels like a lifetime ago.

Covid killed plans for an overseas player draft for the past two years, but loosening the rigid contract structure to throw open lists and create more player movement is high on Cricket Australia’s idea list.

Hobart Hurricanes blaster D’Arcy Short wants fielding teams who fall behind the over-rate punished by losing an outfielder to help speed up matches.

The novel time-wasting rule flourished in The Hundred league in England this year as captains attempted to whisk through deliveries to avoid losing catching protection towards the death.

Sluggish teams who were pinged still fielded with 11 players, but had to bring one extra man inside the 30-yard circle, leaving them with a maximum of four players outside the ring.

“If you hadn’t bowled your overs by the cut-off time you had to bring a fielder in. I thought that was a pretty good rule to make the fielders be a bit quicker and get through their overs,” Short told News Corp.

“It happened a few times. Especially as a bowler, to have one more fielder in the ring makes it a bit harder.”

They say that’s because Channel 7 plays a highlight and a 30-second ad at the end of overs, slowing the game down dramatically as players stand idle for 10-15 seconds.

Players are always accused of time-wasting, but they reckon BBL innings in Fox Cricket’s 16 exclusive games run roughly 10 minutes shorter.

The BBL attempted to crack down on time wasters this season by awarding a bowler their own version of a ‘free hit’ if a new batter wasn’t ready to face up in time.

Dawdlers have to stand to the side of the pitch for the next ball, giving the bowler a free delivery at the open stumps.

But with a generous 75 seconds given that hasn’t eventuated, and it’s unlikely it ever will.

GIMMICKS DECLARED A NO-BALL

Last summer administrators innovated to the extreme.

The Bash Boost, Power Surge and X-Factor were injected in one radical hit to try and light up the league.

The consensus after two summers was that less is more.

Melbourne Stars coach David Hussey wants the Bash Boost – a bonus point awarded for leading after 10 overs – ousted.

The Stars were set a monstrous 214 runs for victory in the season-opener and so they went hell-for-leather at chasing 93 in the first 60 balls against Sydney Sixers.

Instead they were bowled out for 61 in 11.1 overs, the 152-run defeat the largest in history.

“We were a low percentage chance of chasing (214) down, so we deliberately targeted the bash boost,” Hussey told News Corp.

“We fell so short that if I was a viewer on TV I would’ve turned off.

“We thought it was unlikely to get the maximum points, so let’s go after the bash boost.

“Even if we were seven or eight down it doesn’t really matter, so long as we got something out of the game.”

Stars only missed finals by a point so hindsight suggests they made the right call to go all-in on the Bash Boost in big losses against Sixers at the SCG and Perth Scorchers in Geelong.

Melbourne Renegades batsman Aaron Finch had the other two novelties in his sights.

“I think the sub (X-Factor) could be used a little bit differently in terms of the availability of the sub and the timing to use it if that’s something Cricket Australia think is really important,” Finch told News Corp.

“The surge has its advantages, but it’s just not in line with international cricket. I’d like to see it go back to a six-over power play.”

The X-Factor has largely been a no-factor.

It has been activated just 17.8 per cent of times, with both teams pulling the trigger in the same game just once from 118 matches.

Finch’s teammate Josh Lalor is somewhat of a T20 traditionalist, if there’s such a thing.

He wants all three wacky rules substituted out.

“I’d get rid of the power surge in a heartbeat,” Lalor told News Corp.

“I like to get a read on where the game’s going and the fact that at any point they can just throw a bomb in the middle of your plans gives me, not anxiety, but it gives me the shits.

“I don’t like that you can do so well in a game and lose momentum in a heartbeat. I might be different if I was a batter.

“I’d just like to play normal Twenty20 cricket again, without subs and surges and all the other nonsense we brought in last year.

“I watched a bit of the IPL thought, ‘This is refreshing. This is how it used to be played’.”

The Power Surge also warps batter’s statistics. Suddenly, they’ve faced 10 deliveries with an old ball with just two outfielders – totally different to powerplay batting when the ball is new.

SHRINK THE SEASON

Stars skipper Glenn Maxwell said before the season started that it would go for too long and teammate Joe Burns called for 24 games to be sliced off the fixture.

Burns wanted to revert to an eight-round season – which was in place from BBL02-06 – and the former Test opener would play them AFL-style in weekend timeslots, with midweek Sheffield Shield games wedged in between to keep red-ball players sharp during the international summer.

Perth Scorchers dominator Mitchell Marsh requested a different fixture change.

“I’d have Scorchers playing 14 home games next summer. I feel like we’ve played about three home games in the last two years,” Marsh told News Corp.

He has a case. Scorchers are ‘hosting’ multiple BBL finals at Marvel Stadium and could finish the season having played six out of their past 35 games in Perth because of Western Australia’s crazy border restrictions, which is hardly their fault.

GIVE DLS METHOD A RINSE

What to bring in? Right now, Sydney Sixers coach Greg Shipperd would want Steve Smith.

But before Cricket Australia’s absurd decision to block Smith from BBL finals, Shipperd wisely called for a reboot of the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method.

“The system is appropriated for one-day cricket, but doesn’t really add up for T20 cricket,” Shipperd told News Corp.

Sixers felt short-changed when they lost to Hobart Hurricanes last month and while they never threatened for victory their run-rate took a bigger hit than perhaps it should have.

The quotient matters – Shipperd’s team finished second to sneak through to The Qualifier on run-rate.

“They (Hurricanes) had two overs of power surge in 18 overs – that’s something like 12 per cent of balls faced in a powerplay situation, and we had one over out of 18.

“So that’s 5.5 per cent. So there’s a disparity there. It might even need to come down to where you have those exact percentages calculated.

“Yes, they like to round things off in overs, but it might be 10 balls because the game swings often on a ball in this format.”

Finch renewed the push for DRS, but said he understood the budget and logistical requirements during Covid.

BIN THE OUTDATED LAWS

Then there are some of cricket’s antiquated and downright ludicrous rules that continue to cause frustration.

One batsman went to change his gloves at the 12-over mark, but copped a spray from the umpire because apparently that can only occur after overs five and 15.

Hussey was scalded for attempting to quench outfielder Hilton Cartwright’s thirst.

“Being able to have fielders on the boundary have a drink during the game, that’s one rule I’d like to change,” Hussey said.

“It’s utterly ridiculous. Blokes are parched and they can’t get a drink until the 10-over mark. It just doesn’t make any sense.

“I got ‘rissoled’ for saying Hilton wants a drink out on the boundary and the third umpire came over and said you’re not allowed to do that?

“Why? He’s thirsty.”

One thing I do agree with is the garbage of changing gloves, drinks, towels after every over / wicket etc.

These are (mostly) professional athletes, they should be capable of playing 20 overs of cricket. Even the technical timeout at 10 overs is a bit silly to be honest.

T20 cricket is always on the move so a shot clock for a bowler needing to be charging in may be a little too extreme but surely something like this could help speed up the game.

People have some serious rose-coloured glasses about that. No-one turned up to the non-Australia matches. I know folks in Perth used to get pissy about always being forced to have one in the measly two fixtures we received.
During the period where the WSC started to wane in it's appeal I did always wonder if a 4 or 5-team mini tournament with New Zealand could have worked with the various touring countries involved and games shifting between Australia and NZ as required.

In a 5-team competition 3 in 10 would be neutral so that's probably too much of a stretch, but in a 4-team competition only 1 in 6 would be a neutral match so that felt like it could definitely sustain some interest.

Obviously it becomes problematic if neither Aus or NZ make the final.

In 96/97 Pakistan and West Indies made the final and 33K went to the SCG which is a good crowd. Can't find the MCG crowd for the second final. But those teams contained Amborse, Walsh, Lara, Waqar and Wasim (amongst a handful of other absolute guns) at a time when you didn't get to see these guys that often. Even if the finalists had that sort of quality, that sort of crowd for a neutral final is just not going to happen now due to overexposure. Even by the next time that happened in 01/02 with NZ v South Africa only 20K went to the MCG for the first final.

In reality the horse has bolted on the above ever coming to fruition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back