BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

To help I would say GWS, Sydney and GC will probably take at least one academy player each in last round

Pick 72 Gold Coast
Joshua Gore.

I was planning to pass for GC.

But if GC had to make another pick, it would probably be Gore. I know the GC fans who follow their academy rate him.

It will be interesting come the real draft, as has been discussed before, I believe most of the northern academy clubs will likely only draft one kid each in the National Draft. I can see Brisbane and Gold Coast possibly taking two each in the rookie draft, and then signing the rest up as U19 academy kids.

I found the comments by the Richmond recruiter on Road to the Draft yesterday interesting.

I’m sure he said something along the lines that clubs view this draft as bit deeper than recent drafts, and there might be more picks this year, then the last couple of drafts.

Personally, I was thinking it might there might be fewer picks. Around the 60 - 65 mark.

Pick 62 Harvey Hooper 185cm 85 kg small defender Port Melbourne

Harvey is a strong and competitive defender who has taken a real step in his development this year.
Harvey is quick and agile and has got good starting positions as a defender. He has improved his kicking and his possession rate which adds facets to his game. He has not lost his ability to lock down but now can attack as well.
I reckon Harvey can play round 1 2020 if he lands on an AFL list.

Rationale For Pick
Essendon lack a lock down defender and Harvey is raring to go and been great in the vfl.

Pick 62 Harvey Hooper 185cm 85 kg small defender Port Melbourne

Harvey is a strong and competitive defender who has taken a real step in his development this year.
Harvey is quick and agile and has got good starting positions as a defender. He has improved his kicking and his possession rate which adds facets to his game. He has not lost his ability to lock down but now can attack as well.
I reckon Harvey can play round 1 2020 if he lands on an AFL list.

Rationale For Pick
Essendon lack a lock down defender and Harvey is raring to go and been great in the vfl.
You have another pick aswell

Pick 64 Essendon Josh May 195cm 86kg Wing/ Flanker Oakleigh Chargers

Josh is a developing tall winger who has a few things going for him. He has a lovely left foot kick, he has afl size and is usually very clean below his knees.
His ground coverage is good but he hasn’t got high end speed yet.
Josh will need to strengthen his defensive game and ensure he is strong in every contest. Josh can go missing during a game but his good is very eye catching and he looks like a young Marcus Bontempelli.
If this kid develops he could be a steal.

Rationale For Pick
I would have taken Comben who is arguably the best pure ruckman in the draft. But you snooze you lose. I love May’s potential he is a real boom or bust pick. I think a club will roll the dice

Interesting Tidbit
Harrison Jones is the steal of this draft. I have him at 17 currently on my board.

Pick 54 - Geelong - Liam McBean

Okay, not sure if this guy really wants to come back into AFL but assuming that he wants to play again, I would be knocking on his door.
Went away for a while to refocus and his form in the SANFL is very good. Kicking a heap of goals and is starting to move into the correct age bracket for those tall forwards/hybrid ruck.
As a junior I liked this kid, so I am backing him in again.
Geelong require a solid ruck option and a mature ruck would be a good option considering where Geelong are in their premiership window.
Has that ability to kick goals and may pinch hit in the ruck a little.
Just what we need a mature age spud ruckman/forward. He can join buzza fort and Abbott as our other vfl forwardline hacks running into each other every game. Shocking selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying you don't need a ruck forward? Or you just don't want a mature option?
We have Smith, fort and Abbott as late 20s ruck. Buzza and fort as ruck/forward and Krueger in the vfl. If we had mcbean, our vfl side would have 5 players 195cm+ in our forwardline

Pick 75 - Ryan Gardener
Northern Knights
184 cm 72 kg
Midfielder

Another that started the year looking like a first round draft pick Ryan dropped off dramatically, to the point of not being selected in the Metro squad, but like Dean I was a big enough fan of his bottom aged year that I'm happy to take him at such a late pick. The outside midfielder is a high risk pick but I think his potential warrants it

Last edited:
I am jumping in 1 spot early but with the time zone in Perth, I want to keep the momentum right for the morning and since it is a Swans academy player, hopefully accept it

Sydney - pick 77

Josh Rayner – tall utility
Swans academy
192cm, 89 kg
The best of the Swans academy prospects this year. He can play back or forward and a no brainer for the club with their last pick at 77.

so its 10pm perth time, so i guess that means the next bunch of picks can be made?

Pick 78 Hawthorn
Riley Baldi - Gipps
178cm 74kg inside/outside mid

how this guy didnt get selected until now is beyond me, had a great underage year and after an injury earlier in the year has had another good year, had 3/4 good VC games in the carnival and just knows how to accumulate the footy, good clearance and outside runner, i was hoping Comben would drop to this pick because a good ruck could be useful for the Hawks, but selecting best available we got a good one late in the draft here, accumulator, quick, uses the ball well and good footy IQ, hard worker, not really athletic, but a good footballer.

Pick 71 - Jake Pasini (Medium Tall Defender) (Swan Districts)
Tough and reliable, defends well and not bad by foot. Not sure about the closing speed and is currently a somewhat inbetween height. A reasonable pickup this late in the draft but equally I can see him being there at the rookie draft.

Pick 5X - Riley Garcia - small (177cm) midfielder (Swan Districts)
Really hope he gets picked up but after damaging his ACL I think there is the possibility he gets overlooked. Before that he was showing that he was good at most things (neat kick, zippy) but the two bits that stood put for me was the lateral movement / agility and consistently good numbers of possessions. Apart from the ACL, size may also be a minor issue, although I see him as the type that could play a number of roles.

Pick 76 - Ryan Bennell - Small Forward (Peel Thunder)
19 year old, pretty speedy and played a fair bit of League football. Did nothing at the championships, but at League level he has averaged 1.2 goals a game and generally been pretty accurate. Good kick on the run for mine, and tackles well enough. Think it is unlikely he will get drafted, but just throwing the name up.

I reckon delahunty and peatling night get taken and think Murray might be chance to.
I'm still unsure if Murray is Academy for us, but those 3 are looking good, on top of Green it could be a good year for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back