BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 80 Fremantle - Ben Jungfer (185cm, 75kg from NT Thunder, Woodville West Torrens, Allies)

It wouldn't be a BigFooty Phantom without me taking someone from the NT, and this time I can double up with them being South Australian too. So far this year, Jungfer has played for the NT Thunder in the Academy Series, the Allies at the Championships and for Woodville in the SANFL Reserves. I should mention he has had a promising underage career so far, I'm not just taking him for the sake of the NT/SA combo. I do actually think he has potential.

Jungfer is a genuine inside midfielder, and pretty comfortably the NT's best player in the Academy Series - averaging 23 touches and almost 7 clearances a game. I'm really not sure why he only played the last two matches for the Allies, they wore sorely lacking a partner for Tom Green in the middle. And he provided just that in the game against Metro with 16 touches and 6 clearances. But I think he showed enough in limited action to suggest there's something to work with. And he's since returned to Reserves level in the SANFL and hasn't looked out of place.

He reminds me a bit of Nick Shipley, who I liked a couple of years ago - a solid and accountable inside midfielder, does all the tough stuff that goes unnoticed. Every team needs one. Just needs to continue working on the more attacking side of his game.

I'm still unsure if Murray is Academy for us, but those 3 are looking good, on top of Green it could be a good year for us

Think so.

Been v good and team rate him. More likely a rookie spot but he had interest last year and appears to have rounded out his game. Delahunty versatility appealing. I really like some of Peatling work lately.

Be interesting to see what happens with sproule and Buckley at year end.

Here is a summary of the Sydney trail/mock draft:

5 Tom Green – Inside midfielder. He is the inside bull to replace Kennedy.

22 Luke Jackson – KPF/Ruck. Whilst I know Sydney like to trade for rucks, this guy is top draw and will be KPF and ruck so no the usual bang crash trade.

41 Lachlan Potter – rebounding defender, outside midfield. Great leg speed which is something Sydney are not strong on. I see him playing wing after a couple of seasons.

53 Jaxon Prior – defender. A Jarrod McVeigh replacement

56 Jarvis Pina – small defender. Need to have someone to play on the damaging small forwards that are becoming all the rage

59 Tyrone Thorne – small forward. This guy is consistent and bloody tricky when the ball comes to ground.

77 Josh Rayner – tall utility. Best of the academy and look to fill the Grundy void.

Pick 79 - Western Bulldogs - Ben Kelly (200cm, 96kg KPD via Murray Bushrangers)
He's the super quick kid who was an outside chance at the mid year draft right? Overager?

Pick 82 Essendon Cooper Sharman Oakleigh Chargers 190cm 79kg Fwd

Cooper is a 19 year old originally from Leeton who moved to Balwyn. His form was so strong he got an invite to Oakleigh.
He is a medium forward with sticky hands, straight line speed, agility and a very neat kick.
I see him as a high half forward in the Gunston/ Zurhaar mould who can connect the midfield with the forward line.

Rationale
Player type the Bombers need. Sharman has a truckload of ability.
If his form holds he could be this years Sam Sturt.
If not Sharman I would have selected Daniel Mott from Calder.

Pick #84 - Port Adelaide
Angus Hanrahan - Sandringham
183 / 83 / Out Mid-Sml Fwd
My Ranking - 71

This is what I wrote about Angus last year:
"
Angus is a skilful outside type who can play through the midfield or provide run off half back.

The best part of Angus’ game is his skills. He is a wonderful kick of the football, one of the best in this draft pool. He can hit up a leading target with ease, he shows exceptional vision and is a confident user of the ball. It’s that skill level which would make him a strong outside type at AFL level, being able to effectively use the ball across half back or going inside 50.

His inside play isn’t as strong. He can win his own ball but it’s not his strong suit. He tries hard but doesn’t have the body strength or weight to deal with the contest time and time again at this point. He isn’t a strong tackler, he has a poor tackling technique and sruggles to bring opponents to ground.

He isn’t quick, but shows ok pace once he is on the move and most importantly, he can use the ball going at full speed.

Angus is a bit of a raw talent. Those skills are good enough to potentially get him on an AFL list but there is plenty of his game that needs more work. If it works out and he can develop, then he could be a very valuable contributor to a team at AFL level."

What I would add to it this year is that he has spent much more time forward of the ball as opposed to behind the ball. He's improved his fitness, is staying in games longer and is impacting on the scoreboard.

My Reasoning - Once again Port need efficient users of the ball and Angus is very much that. He's a great kick going inside 50 and can kick goals. All going to plan he is the type that could take over on a forward flank as Rozee moves into more of a pure midfield position. It was a toss of the coin between Angus and Daniel Mott, who's 20 spots higher in my rankings. I like Mott's ability to find the ball, but having picked 3 midfielders already, I thought i'd go a flanker to compliment the group instead. Will Martyn, who's in the 30's in my rankings, also came under consideration but thought we had too many of his type already.

Pick 82 Essendon Cooper Sharman Oakleigh Chargers 190cm 79kg Fwd

Cooper is a 19 year old originally from Leeton who moved to Balwyn. His form was so strong he got an invite to Oakleigh.
He is a medium forward with sticky hands, straight line speed, agility and a very neat kick.
I see him as a high half forward in the Gunston/ Zurhaar mould who can connect the midfield with the forward line.

Rationale
Player type the Bombers need. Sharman has a truckload of ability.
If his form holds he could be this years Sam Sturt.
If not Sharman I would have selected Daniel Mott from Calder.
Bloody hell I had him lined up, didn’t think anyone else would think of him.

Given this is just to get names out there, I’ll raise a kid Id take a punt on but injuries have just got the better of him. Think he’s capable of being drafted next year with a full year and could well end up playing NAB League potentially.

Richmond pick Kobe Tozer (BL Academy)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given this is just to get names out there, I’ll raise a kid Id take a punt on but injuries have just got the better of him. Think he’s capable of being drafted next year with a full year and could well end up playing NAB League potentially.

Richmond pick Kobe Tozer (BL Academy)
Going around as an U19 academy kid next year.

Pick 88 Hawthorn
Zakery Pretty - Eastern
183cm 80kg - inside/outside mid

it was a toss up between Pretty, Carafa and Stapleton, i went with Pretty because of his work rate, endurance, speed as well as inside game, he has improved significantly since last season and is averaging around 27 disposals and over 6 clearances a game in the nableague, he would be an interesting rookie pick because of the scope of his improvement, he is a great size as well, being 6 foot which would give him more flexibility in positions.

Pick 87
Brisbane Lions
Will Martyn

Was talked up a bit during academy series, but wasn’t as productive at the U18 Championships.

Best chance for Will is in the rookie draft. The Lions have to clean out its rookie list this year, so there might be one or two spots available after the trade period, for us to consider a couple of academy kids as rookies.

Pick 87
Brisbane Lions
Will Martyn

Was talked up a bit during academy series, but wasn’t as productive at the U18 Championships.

Best chance for Will is in the rookie draft. The Lions have to clean out its rookie list this year, so there might be one or two spots available after the trade period, for us to consider a couple of academy kids as rookies.
Personally think he is better than a rookie prospect, a club after midfield depth would surely put in a bid in the 40s or 50s.

P6 Caleb Serong - Gipps
P24 Harry Schoenberg - WWT
P48 Brock Smith - Gipps
P78 Riley Baldi - Gipps
P88 Zakery Pretty - Eastern

i could have picked up a ruck or KPD, but i chose to go best available, i was hoping L.Jackson would get to my 2nd pick and missed out, then i was hoping Comben would land at my 4th pick and i missed out again, but i think all 5 picks are talented and i would be happy with this haul come draft night.

Personally think he is better than a rookie prospect, a club after midfield depth would surely put in a bid in the 40s or 50s.
In regards to Brisbane, I’m just not sure he fits a need at the moment.

If Ben Keays and Corey Lyons are delisted, we’ll need to pick up a couple of mids, but we loaded up with mids in last years draft.

So what did I learn about the draft in doing the trial mock?

If the Suns do get a priority pick at the pointy end, then Rowell and Anderson are likely to be on the Suns menu. Not many scenarios where they fall past the first 2 and the Suns could do with 2 mids that are good mates. I personally do not see much of a gap between these 2 and the next few but that is another debate.

Next, there were not the stand outs at the pointy end compared to 2018. The top 10 felt pretty close and more like the second half of the first round in 2018. As such, I would not see many clubs (bar GWS) trying hard to push up the board. With 2 first rounders and the potential to get more picks in the trade period, I would see GWS pushing ahead of where they think Green will go (I took him at 5) and hence get a Young/Ash before they get Green. St Kilda are likely to be ahead of Green and would be keen on multiple early picks while Hawthorn may well offer up their earlier first (assuming Hawks don't bolt home) in a deal with Paton and get back a slightly later first rounder. Speculation but it shows there may be trading in picks 2 to 5.

What sort of trades are likely to derail the top order?

If Kelly and/or Coniglio are traded for picks, there might be some postulating at the top end. If traded/RFA, I expect the deals will include multiple first round picks but cannot see either GWS or Geelong letting them go for a single pointy end pick. By way of calibration, last year Bailey Smith went at pick 7, Blakey at 10 while Jordan Clark went at pick 15 – in my estimations, I would have these 3 on par with Rowell and Anderson. I expect push back on this but that is the way I see it as present. Fremantle are holding pic 6 and may well get closer to 4 come season end. Liam Henry is top draw so they will need to be able to cover at least a top dozen pick in points and only have a second of any value thereafter.

Shape of the draft

There felt like good prospects at the 10 to 30 level with no serious drop off until 30. As an Eagles supporter, I am happy to be holding our own first and Sydney’s second rounder as these are sweet spots. Great options at this point while Brisbane are in a similar position of holding multiple picks in that range.

As expected, the taller defenders went after the first 1 ½ rounds. Little surprised the lack of love earlier for McAsey.

The lack of stand out KPF’s was evident.
Loads of strong flankers in the first 2 rounds. Some of these will rise if and when they are given more midfield opportunities.

The only ruck option I see of high value was Jackson - which is why I could not resist at 22. He may slide further or go a fraction earlier; depends what clubs see him projecting to be.

Still a load of time to go in 2019. We have the public schools starting to release players, we have SANFL and WAFL debuts at the league level to happen, we have bodies maturing and taller players starting to get back some coordination and we have a chance to look at who can deliver the consistency that matters so much.

A good exercise and with loads more junior football to watch, good to get this one in early.

If the Suns do get a priority pick at the pointy end, then Rowell and Anderson are likely to be on the Suns menu. Not many scenarios where they fall past the first 2 and the Suns could do with 2 mids that are good mates. I personally do not see much of a gap between these 2 and the next few but that is another debate.

Next, there were not the stand outs at the pointy end compared to 2018. The top 10 felt pretty close and more like the second half of the first round in 2018. As such, I would not see many clubs (bar GWS) trying hard to push up the board. With 2 first rounders and the potential to get more picks in the trade period, I would see GWS pushing ahead of where they think Green will go (I took him at 5) and hence get a Young/Ash before they get Green. St Kilda are likely to be ahead of Green and would be keen on multiple early picks while Hawthorn may well offer up their earlier first (assuming Hawks don't bolt home) in a deal with Paton and get back a slightly later first rounder. Speculation but it shows there may be trading in picks 2 to 5.

If Kelly and/or Coniglio are traded for picks, there might be some postulating at the top end. If traded/RFA, I expect the deals will include multiple first round picks but cannot see either GWS or Geelong letting them go for a single pointy end pick. By way of calibration, last year Bailey Smith went at pick 7, Blakey at 10 while Jordan Clark went at pick 15 – in my estimations, I would have these 3 on par with Rowell and Anderson. I expect push back on this but that is the way I see it as present. Fremantle are holding pic 6 and may well get closer to 4 come season end. Liam Henry is top draw so they will need to be able to cover at least a top dozen pick in points and only have a second of any value thereafter.

Shape of the draft

There felt like good prospects at the 10 to 30 level with no serious drop off until 30. As an Eagles supporter, I am happy to be holding our own first and Sydney’s second rounder as these are sweet spots. Great options at this point while Brisbane are in a similar position of holding multiple picks in that range.

As expected, the taller defenders went after the first 1 ½ rounds. Little surprised the lack of love earlier for McAsey.

Loads of strong flankers in the first 2 rounds. Some of these will rise if and when they are given more midfield opportunities.

The only ruck option I see of high value was Jackson - which is why I could not resist at 22. He may slide further or go a fraction earlier; depends what clubs see him projecting to be.

Still a load of time to go in 2019. We have the public schools starting to release players, we have SANFL and WAFL debuts at the league level to happen, we have bodies maturing and taller players starting to get back some coordination and we have a chance to look at who can deliver the consistency that matters so much.

A good exercise and with loads more junior football to watch, good to get this one in early.

As a Brisbane fan, I'm really liking our current ladder position, but not so much where our picks fall in this draft. We still have the trade period to go, but if we don't trade anyone of significance in, and keep our early picks, we're going to miss out on the type of player we really need, most notably a classy inside out mid to play wing.

Dylan Stephens and Mitch O'Neill would be pick 1A and 1B.

We'll likely get a decent player that fills a need at the first of our second round picks. Trent Bianco would be a very good pick up here as a classy, running defender, who has the scope to also play wing.

Shape of the draft

Not a dees fan but I would've moved heaven and earth to get another top 10 pick to pick up Stephens. I can see us (GIANTS) really aggressively going for Young or Ash, and if we get Cogs and Patton leaving we'll likely end up with an extra first rounder, possibly Hawks first, which means we should be able to push up the order and keep enough points to match Green and have a late first/early second with residual points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back