Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Never heard of a headphone amp. I’m intrigued

FWIW, I swear by Sony Headphones.despite their great name, Sennheiser never do it for me.

An amp is usually just used to drive headphones with higher impedance. Things like smart phones can typically drive any headphones up to about 35ohms pretty comfortably, most are in this range. An amp is used to boost the signal to drive higher impedance headphones. Serious ones in studios and stuff are 250ohm and up. The ones I use are only around the 50ohm range so they aren't hard to drive and my PC's motherboard is a top range one with a DAC and amp that can drive up to 600ohms, but something about it I just found lacking. Couldn't put my finger on it. Computer cases aren't the best for audio either with all the interference from other parts. Mine wasn't too bad but got the occasional crackle/pop which I just got used to. I guess it made it sound like vinyl haha. This is another reason external DACs/amps are used.

Currently checking out stuff on my Sennheiser GSP 600 and Audio Technica ADG1x headsets. They're gaming ones based on non-gaming models, basically just with a mic attached and an edgy design. Over the weekend I'll dig out some of my monitor and more general listening headphones and see how they scrub up. This amp can only push 150ohms max apparently so in comparison with other amps it's a little over priced and underpowered, but like I said it was more focused at gaming so they compromised the ability to push high impedance headphones with adding some other bells and whistles more suited to the target audience.

An amp is usually just used to drive headphones with higher impedance. Things like smart phones can typically drive any headphones up to about 35ohms pretty comfortably, most are in this range. An amp is used to boost the signal to drive higher impedance headphones. Serious ones in studios and stuff are 250ohm and up. The ones I use are only around the 50ohm range so they aren't hard to drive and my PC's motherboard is a top range one with a DAC and amp that can drive up to 600ohms, but something about it I just found lacking. Couldn't put my finger on it. Computer cases aren't the best for audio either with all the interference from other parts. Mine wasn't too bad but got the occasional crackle/pop which I just got used to. I guess it made it sound like vinyl haha. This is another reason external DACs/amps are used.

Currently checking out stuff on my Sennheiser GSP 600 and Audio Technica ADG1x headsets. They're gaming ones based on non-gaming models, basically just with a mic attached and an edgy design. Over the weekend I'll dig out some of my monitor and more general listening headphones and see how they scrub up. This amp can only push 150ohms max apparently so in comparison with other amps it's a little over priced and underpowered, but like I said it was more focused at gaming so they compromised the ability to push high impedance headphones with adding some other bells and whistles more suited to the target audience.

Very comprehensive. I looked some up but they were all $$$$$......guess the portable ones are cheaper.

Last edited:

Audio s**t is so expensive. My headphones are modular so the company (AIAIAI) made a Bluetooth headband which converts 'em to wireless which is pretty cool but with that all up my headphones cost like 400 bucks. Not exactly high end but it does feel a bit ridiculous since I spend most of my time listening out of my shitty computer speakers anyway.

I've also got a pair of Alessandro cans which are based on Grado speaker units iirc. They're better for rock but the cable is so thick and it has wires that go into both sides of the headphones. It's 2018 I don't have time fo that s**t.

Marduk - Iron Dawn on in the car on my way to the station to go to the G. It's got me in an appropriate mood.

It's rare for me to be on tenterhooks for a new release, but I am ****ing pumped for Viktoria, even if Werwolf was a little underwhelming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marduk - Iron Dawn on in the car on my way to the station to go to the G. It's got me in an appropriate mood.

It's rare for me to be on tenterhooks for a new release, but I am ****ing pumped for Viktoria, even if Werwolf was a little underwhelming.

I’ve high hopes for Viktoria too however this has been tempered somewhat by the ‘calorie-free black metal’ of Werwolf.

Went to Direct Underground last night.

Ihsahn was fun, and while I like his solo stuff enough (very influenced by his backing band, though), the highlights were the Emperor sings he played.

Considering it was Ihsahn as a solo artist rather than Emperor, the real headliner for me was Belphegor; no disappointment there. They were appropriately terrifying, and lived up to what I expected and hoped for.

Revocation were excellent; I want to check more of their stuff out. Diocletian were a lot fun, too.

Hadn't Wiegedood previously, but my jaw dropped. With Belphegor they were the highlight. I made sure to get a couple of their albums from the merch table on the way out. Thoughts on them, dwainno? They sound like something you'd be into. The local band was The Encircling Sea. I missed the first 10 minutes of their set, but I like what I heard, and will keep an eye out on them.

Couldn't get a ticker for Ihsahn tonight, unfortunately, as I do enjoy his solo stuff, but I'd rather he brought Samoth down with him next time.

I find Belphegor can be hit or miss. Pretty certain I have most of their albums. Maybe if they played alone and on a Friday or Saturday I may have gone.

Sunday night was an odd choice, agreed.

Went to Direct Underground last night.

Ihsahn was fun, and while I like his solo stuff enough (very influenced by his backing band, though), the highlights were the Emperor sings he played.

Considering it was Ihsahn as a solo artist rather than Emperor, the real headliner for me was Belphegor; no disappointment there. They were appropriately terrifying, and lived up to what I expected and hoped for.

Revocation were excellent; I want to check more of their stuff out. Diocletian were a lot fun, too.

Hadn't Wiegedood previously, but my jaw dropped. With Belphegor they were the highlight. I made sure to get a couple of their albums from the merch table on the way out. Thoughts on them, dwainno? They sound like something you'd be into. The local band was The Encircling Sea. I missed the first 10 minutes of their set, but I like what I heard, and will keep an eye out on them.

Couldn't get a ticker for Ihsahn tonight, unfortunately, as I do enjoy his solo stuff, but I'd rather he brought Samoth down with him next time.

Ihsahn could name a ticket price if he got Emperor back together for a world tour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back