Politics Black Lives Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the argument that people shouldn't have to feel shame over the actions of their country to be a bit ridiculous. I mean, they generally have no issues feeling pride over their country's history, they have parades and everything.
I feel sorrow for how people have been treated throughout history. Who wouldn't?History has been s**t for just about everybody. As time goes by life has become a little less s**t.

But shame? No I don't think so. If we ask everyone (and I mean everyone) to feel shame for things that their ancestors have done in the past, it wouldn't end and would get quite ridiculous. Do I go back and feel shame for everything my ancestors have done? Do I need to feel shame on behalf of my Viking ancestors? Pick, Norman, Saxon? British? Irish? I'm sure if I did a genetic test I would just be labelled as Western European. But which individual group should I be most ashamed of? All of them? Some of them? One more than the other? I'm sure some of my ancestors commited horrible atrocities against some of my other ancestors. Do I need to pick a side?

Sorrow yes. Consideration yes. Respect yes. Understanding and compassion yes. Shame and a feeling that I need to step aside to atone for the sins of generations past, whatever they may or may not have been? No.

I feel sorrow for how people have been treated throughout history. Who wouldn't?History has been sh*t for just about everybody. As time goes by life has become a little less sh*t.

But shame? No I don't think so. If we ask everyone (and I mean everyone) to feel shame for things that their ancestors have done in the past, it wouldn't end and would get quite ridiculous. Do I go back and feel shame for everything my ancestors have done? Do I need to feel shame on behalf of my Viking ancestors? Pick, Norman, Saxon? British? Irish? I'm sure if I did a genetic test I would just be labelled as Western European. But which individual group should I be most ashamed of? All of them? Some of them? One more than the other? I'm sure some of my ancestors commited horrible atrocities against some of my other ancestors. Do I need to pick a side?

Sorrow yes. Consideration yes. Respect yes. Understanding and compassion yes. Shame and a feeling that I need to step aside to atone for the sins of generations past, whatever they may or may not have been? No.

Who said you need to step aside ?

So De Kock's point was all about the "mandatory" aspect ..... and he was dead right to question it

No one should ever be "forced" to submit to something or an action just because it is perceived to be seen as the "right thing to do"

Fairly clear that the CSA went a step too far by mandating this action and not consulting with the players beforehand.

So De Kock's point was all about the "mandatory" aspect ..... and he was dead right to question it

No one should ever be "forced" to submit to something or an action just because it is perceived to be seen as the "right thing to do"

Fairly clear that the CSA went a step too far by mandating this action and not consulting with the players beforehand.

Yeah the poor privileged cricket player, made to do a team bonding exercise.

Even the Adelaide Crows would be laughing right now.

Last edited:

Group think should be derided by all

which is exactly what a lot of the woke nba players do when questioned about china, and the shoes they are paid tens of millions of dollars to wear being made by marginalised people in forced labor camps.

is it hypocritical not to speak about this? or to say “it’s complex”
I await you criticism of everybody else doing business with china.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I do think it's rather ridiculous and if it was applied to me personally, yes it would upset and offend me.

Ok - hope you acknowledge the irony when others get called out as snowflakes for calling out racism when you are upset and offended!

I await you criticism of everybody else doing business with china.

everybody else is not holding themselves out as leaders of a movement for racial equality, democracy and social justice (and against mass incarceration) while being paid $100m+

the problem is the hypocrisy - not taking the money which 99% of people would do in the same position, me included.

The jolly old free market has spoken again, de Kock has realised that the online good on ya, freedums crowd ain't going to pay his mortgage and that if he wants to stay on this bandwagon his employers have expectations of him.
Sweet as ..... nothing like sheeple forced labour practices that have nothing to do with your actual work remit :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back