Bluemour Discussion Thread VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you give us some context about this comment?
There were two giants fans in the crowd carrying on and Eddie asked them what made them pick the giants they responded josh Kelly fev laughed and said enjoy him because he will be at Carlton in 2 years

Over the next few years we want to stabilise the list, with B graders being edged out in favor of kids.

The plan is to have those B graders off the list by 2020 or thereabouts by which time the kids should have enough games in the legs to be able to stand up on their own.

We also want to spend the next few years targeting A grade talent to add to those kids.

This year was always going to happen. Said as much at the start of the year.

Just be patient and stay the course.
It's all we can do.

Honestly, the motivation of anybody wanting to join this club would have me questioning the motives and character

I think Mal means that even without injuries we were destined for shitness due to the skewed age and tall/small profile of the list.

Which is true.
I disagree with that assessment take out the injuries and there would have been plenty of excitement .
Not necessarily leading to many wins but far from the shitshow weve seen to date .

It's all we can do.

Honestly, the motivation of anybody wanting to join this club would have me questioning the motives and character

Because we're not going to be s**t forever are we?

Because at present we have some good kids coming though, and a bunch of B graders supporting them. Blind Freddy can see that we are going to improve over the next few years with improvement from the kids, and the acquisition of A grade talent via trades and free agency.

Players are not as short sighted as some of our own supporters.

I mean Ive seen calls to trade Weitering, SPS and others over the past few days. Calls to delist 10 players again. Sack the coach/ Just stupid and ignorant crap like that. People claiming that the rebuild was supposed to be 3 years and then finals.

I know its the minority, but still. Have people not been listening? The club has been as transparent about this for years now as they can be. We'll look for Free agents or maybe a trade this year, and will go five times as hard for trades/ free agency next year (trying to pry one or both of Shiel or Kelly loose).

I expect us to hit 2020 with 2-3 A grade free agents added to the list, plus 30 games more development into our younger brigade (bringing them up to the magical 50-100 game mark).

I think so too, perhaps 3-4 wins instead of the 1-2 we'll perhaps manage and less 10 goal+ losses.
I was hoping for a couple more wins than that but realistically when Docherty went down it was always going to be hard to achieve that . Let alone the horror story that has been the rest of our injury list and season .

I was hoping for a couple more wins than that but realistically when Docherty went down it was always going to be hard to achieve that . Let alone the horror story that has been the rest of our injury list and season .
I was expecting us to be at least as competitive, on a weekly basis, as last season. The wins i had less expectations on, I was hopeful of 8 but in hindsight that was fanciful.

I wasn’t expecting to have to scratch my head when thinking of young players who have taken a clear step forward from 17 to 18. Fisher yes, Charlie is slightly more consistent in impact during games. For a team hanging it’s hat on quality youth, it’s a worry that the output isn’t lifting appreciably.

It's all we can do.

Taylor Adams on the Footy Show last night said what the motivation would be. Playing for GWS in front of nobody at Spotless. Even though the Blues are terrible atm, they can still draw big crowds and they play at the G regularly.

For GWS players, there is also the possibility of playing with some of their former team mates.

Over the next few years we want to stabilise the list, with B graders being edged out in favor of kids.

The plan is to have those B graders off the list by 2020 or thereabouts by which time the kids should have enough games in the legs to be able to stand up on their own.

We also want to spend the next few years targeting A grade talent to add to those kids.

This year was always going to happen. Said as much at the start of the year.

Just be patient and stay the course.

B-Graders are okay, we can use them on the list,

C-Graders ??

Now that is a completely different story ……… OUT !!!

I was expecting us to be at least as competitive, on a weekly basis, as last season. The wins i had less expectations on, I was hopeful of 8 but in hindsight that was fanciful.

I wasn’t expecting to have to scratch my head when thinking of young players who have taken a clear step forward from 17 to 18. Fisher yes, Charlie is slightly more consistent in impact during games. For a team hanging it’s hat on quality youth, it’s a worry that the output isn’t lifting appreciably.
At a top club you have 6 to 8 good older players dragging the kids along. We haven't got that at the moment may take a little longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think 8 for the season is fanciful at all with Docherty
wthout possibly .
I think its understandable that our youth hasnt set the world on fire this year given the injury toll .
They need a stable side with minimul injuries some quality senior players around them 2 of them (docherty and murphy have been ripped away ) to be able to thrive .
Its exactly why the club has stated we need some players in the 23-26 age bracket .
Getting quality players in that age bracket into the club is another story .
Give us a settled side next year(i dont see it this year) with a couple of good additions and Docherty and Murphy back to full fitness and we'll the improvement continue .
Some will still struggle thats the nature of AFL footy but as Soapyv keeps saying to us all we need to be patient .

B-Graders are okay, we can use them on the list,

C-Graders ??

Now that is a completely different story ……… OUT !!!

Look at the blokes aged 25-32+ on the list. Pulling out the names Kruezer, Curnow, Jones, Murphy and Simpson (all AFL quality contributors) and we are left with: Lamb, Casboult, Wright, Kerridge, Thomas, Rowe, Mullett, O'Shea, ASOS, Shaw Lobbe and Phillips.

5 AFL quality players, and 12 back ups, B graders or recycled players that cost nothing and are filling places on the list and providing mature bodies. It's harsh to say it, but they would be delisted tomorrow if we had better options available.

Of our 18-24 year old's that have shown that they are (or are likely to be) AFL quality contributors we have Docherty, Plowman, Byrne, Cripps, Marchbank, C Curnow, Cuningham, Kennedy, Weitering, Silvagni, McKay, SPS, Fisher, Williamson, Lob and Dow.

16 AFL quality players come from that bottom aged group. Of the remaining players in that 18-24 age group we're left with Graham, Lang, Gartlett, Pickett, Glass McKasker, McDaid, Polson, McReadie, Lebois, Kerr, Schumacher, De Koning, or 12 players that have question marks against their names (need more development time before we know for sure, or aren't up to it, or haven't shown much as of yet). Some of that latter group may come on (Schumaker, Polson and De Koning; maybe MacReadie).

Its the middle grouping (Docherty, Plowman, Byrne, Cripps, Marchbank, C Curnow, Cuningham, Kennedy, Weitering, Silvagni, McKay, SPS, Fisher, Williamson, Lob and Dow) that is the core of our future side. Maybe a player drops out of this group, and a Schumaker, Pickett or De Koning drops in to replace them. But we have a pretty decent core of young players here.

What we need to do is to supplement the above list with A grade talent over the next few years while that group of 16 core players continues to develop. What we're aiming for is 2-3 A grade free agents, and a few more quality kids in the draft (with a focus on free agents and trades this year and especially next year, over the draft) to give us a list of 22 AFL quality players.

If by the end of next year we have added (say) DeGoey, Shiel and L Neale (random names thrown in here) to the above 16 players, plus found 3 more good kids in the draft (a quality Ruck, a gun young Mid and a KPF) our best 22 is largely set in stone.

Patience is required from supporters. Meanwhile the Club needs to bending over backwards to target and acquire those quality free agents and trade targets to fill gaps on the list and add A grade talent (and push the B graders out), not waste what draft picks we have and get those picks right (also vital we nail the draft), and to develop those 18-24 year old players correctly, and have them playing together as a team.

Look at Melbourne. They have deliberately targeted players they want at the draft, free agency and via trades after years of hitting the draft hard (and a few false starts thanks to a few wasted drafts, and cutting the list too savagely).

The Saints have stagnated due to blowing a few drafts (McCartin and Billings instead of Petracca and Bontompelli, plus a fair few other picks that simply haven't come on) and a total inability to get in any A grade quality players via trade and free agency (barring Jake Carlisle; who despite being a knob is a good player).

I don't think anyone would argue that with the following
OUT: SPS , Dow, O'Brien, Silvagni
IN : Murphy, Gibbs, Doc, Kennedy

We would have been far more competitive all year.

But it doesn't help with the the 2020 season.

I don't think anyone would argue that with the following
OUT: SPS , Dow, O'Brien, Silvagni
IN : Murphy, Gibbs, Doc, Kennedy

We would have been far more competitive all year.

But it doesn't help with the the 2020 season.
Wtf. That’s not right. How bout:

Out: lamb graham Kerr Thomas
In: Murphy Gibbs doc Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back