Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peoole are saying this will be tough trade, but I think Carlton know they need to pay overs for Papley and Sydney would run with it considering he is a peak value and wanting out. Think it will be:

Pick 9 for Papley and 3rd rounder
Future 2nd and Sydney 3rd rounder for Martin
End of draft picks for Betts and Butler

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Looks okay, except that now GCS have been given an additional 1st and 2nd pick this year, so not sure if a 3rd round pick is of any value to them.

Cas may form part of the deal.

Would love to see a scoreboard of tom brownes early calls. Would be confident he's batting below dave warner in a non dead rubber.

Not sure if someone had it earlier but browne did say setterfield was locked into Carlton towards the end of last season. Credit where credits due.

Setterfield is one of the best on our list, just coming from a long way back. This kid will be an out an out elite midfielder in a season or two. Moves with natural footballing instinct you rarely see these days. I remember his draft year, hoping against all hope he would land in our lap and fortunately here we are. Irony being we now have the original trade albeit with an acl thrown in and SPS as steak knives. Take those steak knives every day of the week.

I’ve been watching the replays, as you do....I’m just so impressed with Setterfield ...the kid makes all the right decisions every time he gets the ball, he thinks so quickly. He goes so unnoticed cos he does it with such ease like he’s having a lazy morning coffee. He’s a good one.

SOS and Co need to get better in getting quality players with later picks. Deluca selection is looking a little puzzling right now. Pickett and Stack were both taken with rookie selections by the premiers.

Rog, both picks were - at the time - seen as players you would be taking a risk on. Stack, because of supposed behavioural issues he had prior to being drafted (these are fairly well known) and Pickett because he was in prison. It is point blank ridiculous to point to these two and to say we should look to taking players like this on, players that have flourished (or have seemed to, it's both of their first seasons) due to entering a strong culture with a very strong recent history of success and leadership.

I'm all for finding rough diamonds later in the draft, but slinging s**t because these are the lads we failed to pick up after their very well known potential issues that run contrary to the plans we've observed from the players we've taken is something of an absurd criticism to make. We can take risks on potentially disruptive players after we've actually accomplished something to give our cultural change validity, hmm?

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I quite imagine the meltdowns on this board if we picked Marion Pickett in the Mid Season Draft would have been epic.

I would have personally opted for Dunkley in the MSD myself, but I ain't writing off Deluca just yet

The most successful GC can become is to win 3 flags in a row. Lions did this and so what?they are now less dependent on the afl for assistance and they are in rugby dominant city/state. Surely you can see the idea behind helping GC get on their feet. Melbourne based clubs do not need the assistance. Afl has to reduce the number of clubs in Melbourne. If they relocate/merge Roos saints dees that would improve the competition and result in less poor quality games each round. Maybe merge one with GC and another with a tassie team and just get rid of dees all together. Problem fixed. By the way these are just my opinions.

While reducing the competition to 16 teams should mean more quality across the teams in theory, there is no reason why the quality should have dropped off. Australia’s population has increased by over 35% since the competition moved to 16 teams. So the population per club has increased dramatically compared to the number of clubs (2/16 = 12.5%) since 1996. The gaps between the top teams and bottom teams seem to stem more from fitness levels and team structures (and development of players) and pressure at every contest than raw talent. Clubs who have a strong administration and processes in place are succeeding and are consistently competing for the Premiership every year. Moving the Suns or Roos won’t change those facts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After todays announcement, I hope GCS fold gradually and painfully; whereby each of its very best talented youngsters announce they want to leave to go to the Blues; where GCS crowds and TV viewers dwindle to unsustainable levels; and whereby the current commission is abolished and replaced with 17 new officials each of which is elected by the members of each of the surviving clubs.
That last idea would be spot on instead of the current ones who kiss silver spoon Gils`arse and just hope for more and more $$$ rolling in by giving certain teams with big fan numbers better draws when they should be graded by how high they finished the previous season!!! The tiggers were the best team in the end, but how come the mighty Gil didn`t try to keep Lynch at the G.C. at the end of last season like he did with Coniglio at the Giants this season!!! The afl justify the handouts to the Suns by saying that the afl and the fans (excuse me.....WHO?!!) want to see an even comp, when what they really want is for their two new "manufactured" teams to play in the finals together........imagine Gil if they ever play off for a premiership, he will have a hard on for a year!!! Like I said before, if they (Gil/ the afl) were so keen for G.C. to be strong why did they let the best key forward in the game go from a perennially bottom team to the best team of the last 3 years if they gave a s**t!!! Without Lynch I doubt that the tiggers would have beaten Geelong in the prelim..........so much for an even comp you afl bullshit artists...............Bums($$$$$$$$$$$)on seats is the only thing the bloody afl care about............bad luck Gil/Shocking that the maggies did not live up to their end of the bargain.............a packed out M.C.G. on G.F day full of screaming ferals with the umps in fear of their safety from whoever lost!!! The only reason the "new" teams are in the afl comp is to piss the rugby states off, because they will never put bums on seats down here and will probably both end up somewhere else...........like the Giants in the ACT and the suns in Tassie where they can be called the nonsuns..........just my pissed off opinion based on handouts that they get for only winning 3 games, while Carlton got access to passed over state league players for winning only 2 games.........but we all want it to be an even comp of course.............:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Which good, reliable contributing mid should we take with what will be the 10th player chosen (at best), in your expert opinion? How many good seasons at afl level has he had as opposed to Papley?
Look, I dunno, on face value it seems like poor value.
The recruiting team has the job to do the best they can, hopefully they can do a little better than what has been suggested.
I'm just a footy tragic - what the hell do I know about it!

Strongly disagree, I love the way he plays. The guy is fast becoming my favourite non-carlton player.

He plays the game on the line and flies the flag for GWS and his teammates doesn't back down or shirk from a contest.

How many Carlton players over the past 10 years could you say that about? Very very few is the answer.

You’re right. I am not thinking logically about it. Having quality footballers shouldn’t be a bad thing because they go about it in a certain way. I am not a fan of some of the things Tom does but he’s a quality footballer and GWS are lucky to have him.

Not sure if someone had it earlier but browne did say setterfield was locked into Carlton towards the end of last season. Credit where credits due.
I doubt he said that. Has he ever committed to anything that strongly? I've heard that sources suggest my understanding is setterfield may be heading to Carlton sounds more his style.

It helps the AFL if the Suns still can’t make a go of it. Suns end and relocate into Tassie.
we play games in china...have you thought why? its to market the game...i guess with the ultimate aim of making it a worldwide game. if you think along these lines its easy to see why GC needs to live on. we need a darwin team and one in north QLD. become truely national before trying to go overseas

While reducing the competition to 16 teams should mean more quality across the teams in theory, there is no reason why the quality should have dropped off. Australia’s population has increased by over 35% since the competition moved to 16 teams. So the population per club has increased dramatically compared to the number of clubs (2/16 = 12.5%) since 1996. The gaps between the top teams and bottom teams seem to stem more from fitness levels and team structures (and development of players) and pressure at every contest than raw talent. Clubs who have a strong administration and processes in place are succeeding and are consistently competing for the Premiership every year. Moving the Suns or Roos won’t change those facts.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
but those clubs with a smaller supporter base struggle financially and therefore struggle to improve their admin and attract the best personnel.

I couldof played in that GF side and they still would of won by 80+ points. I can run but I’ve never kicked a footy before. I could of even done a pretty spin out of trouble (no one within 3 metres) and missed a target 40 metres away but been lauded my the commentators for the amazing attribute. Don’t think Pickett is much chop at all. If he’d played for GWS they would of lost by more. Richmond have a habit of using s**t footballers with there game plan and turning it successful. There’s about 10 players on the weekend I wouldn’t want anywhere near our list.

Geez. In running for worst post of 2019.

No, I'm suggesting his late selections and rookies haven't been good at all since he's been there. This is where you build depth.
He’s absolutely nailed every first and second round pick since 2015 for mine. And we’ve had that many of them the depth is already there and building.

We actually haven’t had to make that many late draft selections.

If you can’t get a bunch of professional athletes in their late teens and twenties to want to stay in the Gold Coast, you’re going to be f’ed trying to get them to stay in Tassie

I honestly don’t think young players care that much about the bright lights of nightclub strips and drink cards, they want to play in front of loud, passionate supporter bases that pack out a ground no matter how many people can fit in.

Gold Coast is a soulless club, a team of their own in Tassie would be the complete opposite

For GC it’s more about the culture and bringing in 3 together this year could really help that, and as others have said next years draft is compromised by father sons and academy pics so pic 11 could really be pic 14/15

GC already have 1,2,15,20 this year to bring in together but I get your idea, but they aren’t giving Jack Martin for pick 41 and a 2 spot upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back