Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't even handle a different cat like Stocker. Gawd help us having to deal with someone who has deeper issues.
Do you think you are in possession of enough information, either about Stocker or anyone else, to be able to make that claim without equivocation?

But Byrne was everything Cuningham is. If you could get him back, get him fighting fit, get him able to play sustainable games, I'd absolutely do it.

I agree. Especially as he'd be eligible to be a Cat B rookie. Listing Byrne would have zero impact on the rest of the list other than maybe bringing a decision on Dom forward by a year ( and only if there was a promising cat B prospect next year).

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

When I think of Sydney role players, I always used to lump Newman, Hewett, Fox and Cunningham in together.

Cunningham only played 10 games this year and is 29 years old, so would cost virtually nothing. He has played 161 games so the experience would be handy. I'm not sure he'd leave a fringe position at Sydney for a fringe position at Carlton however.

He's quick and versatile. Can play forward, back or on a wing. I'd probably prefer him over Sholl if we are still looking that way.

I suspect he'd go straight into our best 22 on a wing... I like everything about it... except the prospect of a Cuningham and a Cunningham on the same list. Makes me slightly twitchy just thinking about it...

Any more Sydney blokes we can pry out?

Newman and Hewitt have come very cheap and have both been awesome for us.

Harry Cunningham is a free agent.

Wouldn't mind him, provided he doesn't want too much coin.

Byrne is in incredible physical shape - peep his Instagram to see for yourself
While I'm glad to hear he's not been sinking tinnies and smoking since he left and I'd be keen to get him back if his prognosis for play is above 75% of available games, there's a difference between fit and being a professional sportsperson in the endurance running/power compromise sport that AFL is.

where’s the talk of Byrne coming from? Legit?
ITK’s anything further on Ciaran Byrne??

Would love to see him back on the wing…

I had high hopes for both Byrne and Sheehan - Sheehan had an even worse run of luck with injury that Byrne at Carlton - Tuohy Byrne were a great combo and I remember Sheehan had one great game for us in firsts...27 years young - easily could get 4 good years out of Byrne and from memory was best buddies with Crippa...

I had high hopes for both Byrne and Sheehan - Sheehan had an even worse run of luck with injury that Byrne at Carlton - Tuohy Byrne were a great combo and I remember Sheehan had one great game for us in firsts...27 years young - easily could get 4 good years out of Byrne and from memory was best buddies with Crippa...
He's 28 in December - but the point still stands, we could get a few good years. Would be nice.

Been a while since we've tried out an Irishman, why not give it another crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ITK’s anything further on Ciaran Byrne??

Would love to see him back on the wing…

Decision will be made in the next couple of weeks.
There was an interview with Bunsen post the GF & he’s got some thinking to do, if he’s chips in or not.

🎼🎶🎵🎧🎤

Ache’n for Acres
By Arrested Development
(2022 Remix)

(Verse 1 speech)

Yes, indeedy we are needy
I got the feeling to stretch on out
Our rookies are cryin', our AFLW dyin'

And me I'm relyin' on Bigfooty for clues

If we gotta watch the cap then it ain't all crap
We’re looking to the west and buying some winger

And we’ll be alright if we can rest at night
Knowin' our stars have got IKON to stand on

Ache'n for Acres plenty of Acres
Money spent on half backs ain't working ‘hundred percent

Ain't gettin no Caddy, no Titch, no good ruckman
Until we get some $ for some badly run club, man

No more Blues men crying
instead they'll be laughing
Running free and wild in the heat of the ‘G

Cause once we’re on song we all wanna feel strong
That our club will go on, IKON land and all stayin'

(Verse 2 refrain)

We got a winger to play on - no more ache'n for Acres
No beggin for leftovers - got some stars of our own

IKON grounds to raise on - no more ache'n for Acres

No more giving to takers - got stars to work on

🎶🎤🎧🎸🎹
I’ve been waiting for a song. Good to see you back RB 💙

I reckon taking a big cap hit IS worth it if your club is in that position. I'd say with the big guns we have on big money (or about to be), we're no longer in a position to take anyone's salary-dump. We now have our core, any additions we make have to be "value", either through the draft (therefore young, cheap) or getting guys for unders who want to join (being a "destination club") or just finding value (Lewis Young).

We know we have paid/are paying a lot of money to our proper top-end talent (Cripps, Curnow, Weiters, Walsh, soon Harry) and to attract guys (Martin, McGovern, Williams, Hewett, Cerra). We've shot our shot, and we all have our opinions who which guys have/are/will be worth it and which won't. That's not necessarily a problem if managed wisely, but cap-space is no longer an asset we have. We still have draft capital and tradeable players, and need to maximise the value of those assets over the coming years to drive up the ladder and towards contending.

All that is to say.... Bowes will be a great deal for some club, just not us. Good player whose current contract is over-priced. Someone who has the cap-space can acquire a proper talent player for way unders in draft capital, then in 2 years re-sign him for a sensible figure reflecting his output.

This is all good if your basing your opinion off Bowes being a plodder, imagine the discussion in 12 months if he goes to Geelong and becomes a frontline player.

Interested in Jack Bowes, talking to his management and to the Suns, not my first hand information.

Interested in Jack Bowes, talking to his management and to the Suns, not my first hand information.

Actually a lot more interested in the pick 7 the Suns are offering more than the player himself. We could be in a position to nab Busslinger if we could get that pick.

Bowes being paid a mint over the next 2 years is bit of a concern though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back