Roast Boomer playing in the backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know this has been mentioned in certain threads, but I think this "tactic" deserves it's own thread (I apologise as couldn't find it if one exists)

Ok. We have a near 400 game champ who has built his record as a very damaging fwd both in terms of kicking goals, and creating them with his exceptional skill, class and agility. With Dal and Wells out, we need the delivery of Boomer more than ever to our fwds and creating goals as our mids generally aren't high class ball users. But no, he is playing down back and taking kick outs.

It even seems sometimes Boomer is unaware of what he is supposed to do, and his usually effective twisting and turning ends up being a liability as it completely stuffs the forwards in their leading patterns.

I guarantee every single coach we have played against so far has been laughing to see Boomer line up in the backline. It takes away a definite strength of our squad for no apparent upside and even has hurt us at times.

It's contributed to why our fwd entries have been diabolical, and if we are serious about 2015 why we are trying new strategies like this over proven ones seems plain stupid to me. I'm happy to hear from posters though why it is a good idea.....

Surely though it must stop now, and never used again.

Last edited:
This, this, this. Hate it. Why try and reinvent a 37 yo? Get him playing where he is dangerous. He is not a backman.

I have no idea.

We actually need Boomer delivering it (and kicking goals himself) to our talls more than ever with the class that is injured, but we do the exact opposite?

Been very frustrating for mine.

I agree and it shuts me to tears. I think it's because of Wells, Dal Santo and even Mullett being out we didn't really have anyone else we could send back there to break through the zones. He doesn't seem to be enjoying it, it's almost sad to watch.

Must say i've hated the 'plan' all along. The worst was when Boomer casually jogged to an unmanned Rioli in the Hawks 50 and made it to the contest after he'd already marked uncontested. Boomer isn't a defender. Put Atley back and Boomer forward. Simples!

Must say i've hated the 'plan' all along. The worst was when Boomer casually jogged to an unmanned Rioli in the Hawks 50 and made it to the contest after he'd already marked uncontested. Boomer isn't a defender. Put Atley back and Boomer forward. Simples!
At least Jacobs ran his ass off to cover rioli, boomer has defensive effort issues.

If Boomer was a regular back, mid and fwd sort of player (like the best mid/utillities), then I could accept it, even if disagree with it...

......but playing Boomer down back for apparently no reason or increase in output whatsoever just seems like madness to me.

I honestly believe this coaching "tactic" has significantly contributed to our slow start this season.

There is an obvious reason for it even if we all disagree with it.

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw that. He even looked at Rioli for a while before deciding to slowly run to him. Was pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boomer has played as a forward pocket and half forward flanker since his first game... Yes, he might play in the midfield at times but him in the backline just confirms our theory of Brad Scott losing his mind... you have one of the most dangerous players in front of goal Brad, why not just put him in the backline... :mad:

There is an obvious reason for it even if we all disagree with it.

Lack of foot skills down back you mean? (guessing)

Spud/Wright/Atley can do a good enough job in that regard. Thommo also hits targets if free.

Last edited:
Saw that as well... he put in a half-arsed effort on Saturday. Some of the supporters next to me couldn't believe it either... has gone downhill from his impressive 2014 season. Put him back at HFF!!!!

Glad I wasn't the only one that saw that. He even looked at Rioli for a while before deciding to slowly run to him. Was pathetic.

Boomer has done that his whole career. He is terrible defensively.

But being a dangerous fwd has always made up for it so.........maybe, continue playing him fwd where he has actually excelled?

Last edited:
Thing is Boomer has done that his whole career. He is terrible defensively and always has been.

But being a dangerous fwd has always made up for it so.........maybe, continue playing him fwd where he has actually excelled?
No body knows why Brad does what he does. Pretty sure Brad doesn't know what he's doing half the time.

Thing is Boomer has done that his whole career. He is terrible defensively and always has been.

Blasphemy.

Ha. Boomer has been exceptional in what he has provided, at his best is and has been a very dangerous and damaging forward.

When it's out turn to head for top 4 and beyond, lets play him down back o_O
I think he's made Cunners and other jobs harder as he's not on the outside helping them and in defence he was hampering Jacobs efforts on the small forwards having to cover esstientially two men.

Agree. The thing for me is that sending Boomer down back is an admission that our defensive unit isn't working. Why not? We have so many blokes whose job it is to play down back, so many god damn half back flankers that they should all hang their heads in shame because Brad felt he had to send Boomer down there to get the job done.

Sometimes it has worked, sometimes it hasn't. And it has definitely cost us up forward.

BTW, people with memories that stretch back to the dim dark ages, when Boomer was only about 28 or so and had only played about 200 games instead of a billion, will recall him playing the exact same role he is now, and quite effectively....funny how the world turns.

Agree. The thing for me is that sending Boomer down back is an admission that our defensive unit isn't working. Why not? We have so many blokes whose job it is to play down back, so many god damn half back flankers that they should all hang their heads in shame because Brad felt he had to send Boomer down there to get the job done.

Sometimes it has worked, sometimes it hasn't. And it has definitely cost us up forward.

BTW, people with memories that stretch back to the dim dark ages, when Boomer was only about 28 or so and had only played about 200 games instead of a billion, will recall him playing the exact same role he is now, and quite effectively....funny how the world turns.
I remember when they forced wells and Corey bloody jones down there, though Rawlings was a solid backman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back