News Brad Crouch decision (ADL chickenshit, decline to match, receive 23)

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Conflicted...we accepted pick 23 and I am very happy with how that pick ended up but, we should have demanded their first rounder for this year, that squibbing still doesn't sit right with me...the way the Saints are going. we might have scored a top 10 pick this year

Good post, I don't think many supporters were upset with him going but the list management and planning was poor. He was always going, maybe we should of done more 12 months out.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
On the topic of Brad Crouch this is an interesting observation/prediction from Ben Dixon

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Someone posted this in another thread and said they mentioned Lyons and becoming redundant due to the rules.
Lyons is in career best form

Lyons was always a pretty handy half forward. I think Matt is a pure inside midfielder, very much in the Thommo mould. Brad I think could be deployed to other roles and go well.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given Matt is out of contract at the end of this year and is a restricted free agent with similar game style to his brother, what is likely to happen?

Do we see how he adjusts to the new game style and make our call after that?

Personally I can see him struggling big time with accountability and defensive pressure. Added that he can’t kick over a jam tin either.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Given Matt is out of contract at the end of this year and is a restricted free agent with similar game style to his brother, what is likely to happen?

Do we see how he adjusts to the new game style and make our call after that?

Personally I can see him struggling big time with accountability and defensive pressure. Added that he can’t kick over a jam tin either.
Matt is fantastic for pressure around the contest, and works well in tight. No reason to think he won't do well in our current system, as long as he takes the game on and moves the ball quickly.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Matt is fantastic for pressure around the contest, and works well in tight. No reason to think he won't do well in our current system, as long as he takes the game on and moves the ball quickly.
The issue for him now is weve got guys like Keays and Berry who do both.

Matt is a very good short kick of the football. What he lacks is penetration and accuracy over distance. I think he might be valuable in the new system that affords a lot more space to short kicks.

My main concern is locking him in on a long deal. 2 years would be reasonable but I doubt he would accept that. If it's 5 years or he's out, I'm packing his bags.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Matt is a very good short kick of the football. What he lacks is penetration and accuracy over distance. I think he might be valuable in the new system that affords a lot more space to short kicks.

My main concern is locking him in on a long deal. 2 years would be reasonable but I doubt he would accept that. If it's 5 years or he's out, I'm packing his bags.
Agree, and he will be very handy around stoppage if he get back to playing pure inside and feed the ball out to the quicker players like he did in his AA year. Even Sloane seems to be moving better so who knows there might be a new fitness program which will benefit M.Crouch and probably why he has issue with his groin with too much running?

They "invested" so much into getting him as their "big signing" and he still has a 3 year left on the contract so will play him regardless.
I doubt it.

How many games has he played for the Saints now?

13 games over 2+ seasons since being at the Saints... & how many full games.

He is cooked.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I just saw the clip. Nicks is referencing tennis being an individual sport not a team sport like AFL. nothing derogatory just telling people they have to back each other up. amazingly it looks like its happening now.

side note i loved seeing rat sitting there like a kid in school that is trying to make themselves look small so the teacher doesn't ask them a question.

Love it. Sounds like he’s talking directly to Brad. Probably not. But if you’re not going to defend “guck off”. So he did.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Maybe. He and Nicks aren't in sync at all there though. Listen to the dialogue Nicks is talking about forgetting about what you think your reputation is, and rebuilding your game from defence. Sloane is talking about flicking a switch and going back to being the best.

Not a perfect transcript, but I think fair enough:

Nicks: the way to fix it Sloaney is not talk. It's actions. Its train it, and train it and train it... so that you're walking out of here with one thing on your mind. And that is, whatever I've been in the past, no longer. I now value defence, and I'm going to ******* show it

Sloane: have confidence that we've done it before, and we've done it really well. It's got to be a bit of a mindset that we've just got to flick because it won't take much and we'll get back to being the best two way midfield.
And he can * off too. Back chatting the coach. * me. Anyway he’s played his best game in years last Friday hopefully the Pennie’s dropped for him. Flip the switch has been their issue for years. This Jeckle and Hyde team must be stamped out of their brains permanently.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt it.

How many games has he played for the Saints now?

13 games over 2+ seasons since being at the Saints... & how many full games.

He is cooked.
Provided they get his body right (even 70%), there is no way they will let one of their highest paid players stay in the second with still 3 years left on that big contract.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
And he can fu** off too. Back chatting the coach. fu** me. Anyway he’s played his best game in years last Friday hopefully the Pennie’s dropped for him. Flip the switch has been their issue for years. This Jeckle and Hyde team must be stamped out of their brains permanently.
This Jekyll and Hyde team was with Pyke in 2018 and in particular 2019 and given what happened with the CM anyone could see that the experience playing group choose when to play and when not to and understandably so.....

Back