Brendan Gale -Tasmania CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Good get for Tassie and Gale is a smart operator who knows what it takes on and off the field.

Sad for the Tigers to see him leave but they cannot begrudge him with all he did for their club and the success he was a key player in.

Tassie are in good hands. 👍

On a different topic I heard on the radio today that the new stadium is only going to seat just over 20k and this seems strange and very small. The new team will be like the Jack Jumpers in the NBL and their stadium is only 4k capacity i heard and tickets are like gold and very hard to get. Surely they need a stadium with around a capacity of 40k min?? Tassie fans will show up in droves behind their own team and this is not a Gold Coast or Western Sydney type location.

Excellent operator. I'm sure he will put the pieces into play now so that Tasmania are competitive within a few years.

Good get for Tassie and Gale is a smart operator who knows what it takes on and off the field.

Sad for the Tigers to see him leave but they cannot begrudge him with all he did for their club and the success he was a key player in.

On a different topic I heard on the radio today that the new stadium is only going to seat just over 20k and this seems strange and very small. The new team will be like the Jack Jumpers in the NBL and their stadium is only 4k capacity i heard and tickets are like gold and very hard to get. Surely they need a stadium with around a capacity of 40k min??

Strange. If only 20K why not just play at Bellerive oval? Then if the success warrants it, do a 40K multipurpose stadium.

Strange. If only 20K why not just play at Bellerive oval? Then if the success warrants it, do a 40K multipurpose stadium.
No roof no team.

Because if they played out of Bellerive then York Park would outshine it and we can't have that now, can we? I mean, there's a reason why Launceston was first cab off the rank when AFL teams came to Tasmania looking to play games.

On a different topic I heard on the radio today that the new stadium is only going to seat just over 20k and this seems strange and very small. The new team will be like the Jack Jumpers in the NBL and their stadium is only 4k capacity i heard and tickets are like gold and very hard to get. Surely they need a stadium with around a capacity of 40k min?? Tassie fans will show up in droves behind their own team and this is not a Gold Coast or Western Sydney type location.

Smart move by the PTB in the AFL to send the biggest threat to replace them to the antipodes where the chance of failure is very high.

Gale is no dummy so I assume he is extracting huge sums of cash from the AFL.

They still have to do final designs but it’s been stated it will be 23k capacity to begin with. it will be built with the ability to expand in the future to 30 and 40k

The stadium is slated to hold 23 000. Hasn't changed through any of the planning or discussions. I doubt that they'd ever expect a crowd of 40,000 for a city of just over 200k. That would be the equivalent of1 in 5 of all people going. Or the equivalent of a Melbourne team getting 1,000 000 to a game.

Sad Doctor Who GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there's a few reasons. Bellerive is a suburban ground amongst houses with no infrastructure, public transport or great appeal.

It is also quite narrow without the opportunity to widen it due to the residential factor.

Playing the new team home games there would reek of it being a Micky Mouse operation and condemn them to be a second rate team perpetually.

They still have to do final designs but it’s been stated it will be 23k capacity to begin with. it will be built with the ability to expand in the future to 30 and 40k
I work in construction and adding 20k extra seats to a fully roofed sports stadium that is completed will cost more than the initial build and is a nightmare engineering wise.

Not to mention the down time during the construction stage which will render it virtually unusable during the time of an upgrade if it happens and it wont happen in one off season!

Last edited:
The stadium is slated to hold 23 000. Hasn't changed through any of the planning or discussions. I doubt that they'd ever expect a crowd of 40,000 for a city of just over 200k. That would be the equivalent of1 in 5 of all people going. Or the equivalent of a Melbourne team getting 1,000 000 to a game.
Fair point i guess and the total population of Tassie is 500k.

Just makes sense to me build it right with a capacity of around the 30-40k mark from the start but there is a lot factors influencing this mostly centered around the cost of it etc.

I work in construction and adding 20k extra seats to a fully roofed sports stadium that is completed will cost more than the initial build and is a nightmare engineering wise.

Not to mention the down time during the construction stage which will render it virtually unusable during the time of an upgrade if it happens and it wont happen in one off season!
Not sure why they didn't hire Chism from bigfooty to consult on the construction then...

Not sure why they didn't hire Chism from bigfooty to consult on the construction then...
I can tell you why because despite what they say expansion wise it will never happen once the stadium is built.

Whatever capacity the stadium has from Day 1 it is staying like that for a very long time. 😉

To be honest I thought Tasmania had premiers, not CEO's. I did not realise Tasmania was a business.
It will have premiers once the Tassie AFL team is up and running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back