Fan Preferred CEO

Who do you prefer?

• Andrew Dillon

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Brendon Gale

Votes: 47 78.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think both of them would do a good job. Dillon is younger I think and worked his way up, seems really smart and knows every section of the AFL. There is a podcast online where Dillon is interviewed by a law firm which is worth listening to, he is very impressive. I dunno if he has the charisma to be CEO of the AFL, so you'd need to match him with an outspoken chairman, Tony Cochrane is looking for a job!

Gale has the best CV you could possibly muster for the job and would at least be from outside of AFL house, which I think is needed at this stage, to shake things up and trim some of the fat.

The AFL aren't really profit makers the past few years (obviously covid affected), but they could be making a lot more money if they tried and cut back on a lot of the crap they waste it on. Even this year they only made 20 mill profit, despite losing 80 mill the past 2 years, which for a business with revenue getting close to $1 billion per year now, is a poor result imo.

I want someone above reproach with integrity who ran one of the world's biggest sporting organisations.

Tunney-President.jpg

7D8942C8-31A0-4A13-810E-465E6296BB70.gif

The average salary of the AFL executive team gets paid higher than any player or coach in the AFL.

This can't be right ?

Gil's at the stage where he can probably write his own salary. If the deal is worth 4.5 Billion then yeah, he's going to charge at least 3 million, maybe more. It's such a small percentage that he's going to get away with that.

Dillon as the AFL's chief lawyer and then moved in to footy ops can probably demand a very good salary.

I maintain that any other members of the executive could easily be replaced by any number of people on 500k a year salaries, but again, they'll probably all point to the broadcast deal and pretend they are the brains behind the operation.

Sounds right. The AFL is a gigantic business. They are probably underpaid*

*Leaving aside performance questions
Agree, it needs to be considered in the context of the AFL being a >$850m revenue operation in 2022. I suspect most comparably sized private / public companies are paying similar amounts to their executive teams as well as equity-based incentives. The quality and performance of the people in the job can be queried, and should be reviewed by the AFL Commission and the clubs as the members, but the dollar figure stacks up for me. If you don't pay proper executive salaries then you get duds.

Name me any sport in the world where the executives get paid more than the best players of that sport ?
I don't understand the relative assessment between the executives and the players. It's also hard to compare to global sports where the clubs are privately-owned for-profit businesses which is not the case in the AFL.

I’d go for an in-house hire at this stage.

If Gale wants the job in the future he should experience the business outside of Melbourne - go run a club like GC or Brisbane etc.

…or maybe the AFL give him a sweetheart deal to go get Tasmania off the ground and then he gets the big job - could see that happening.

Dillon as AFL Legal person surely must have been responsible for setting up the Tribunal and its rules etc.

In the Cripps case a QC waltzed through massive and unnecessary holes in the Tribunal’s rules when he realised the Tribunal was not set up to extend that most basic thing - procedural fairness - to the player facing the charge.

This for me is an unforgivable oversight. A half decent legally trained mind who cared would never let that happen. I don’t want to lose Gale from Richmond but Dillon definitely should not be appointed to that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d go for an in-house hire at this stage.

If Gale wants the job in the future he should experience the business outside of Melbourne - go run a club like GC or Brisbane etc.

…or maybe the AFL give him a sweetheart deal to go get Tasmania off the ground and then he gets the big job - could see that happening.
Not sure about an internal hire.

We need someone that has a bold vision for where the game should be in the next 10years.

Dillion or Auld strike me as managers of the status quo.

Confused as to how any one could want Harley as CEO. Always comes across like a genuine slime ball.

Should’ve been a real estate agent.

Hopefully not Gale for selfish reasons. Don't want to lose him from the RFC.
Yeh this is my thoughts. We've got a great operator at CEO, if he leaves who knows if the next person we bring in is any good.
I want to keep him purely from a selfish perspective.

Not sure about an internal hire.

We need someone that has a bold vision for where the game should be in the next 10years.

Dillion or Auld strike me as managers of the status quo.

My thinking is that the game needs some stability after some rocky years.

That said, I’m also opposed to the Tasmanian team and would rather focus on perfecting the status quo, instead of trying to reinvent it.

Probably a bit green as of right now but Luke Ball strikes me as someone with the requisite integrity & intellect to take on the role sometime later this decade.
I know I know...he's another elite private school old boy but I'm always impressed whenever I hear his commentary on both on & off field issues.
I feel like he'd bring a bit of transparency to the role and would actually enforce the kind of values the league is constantly ramming down our throats under Reptilian Gil

It needs to be somebody from outside of footy that will:
  • remove the Vic nepotism from AFL house
  • cut the clubs that aren't pulling their weight
  • start up a national AFL reserves comp
  • invest in junior player development outside of Vic
There is nobody in footy currently with the balls to implement any of the above!

NFL boss Roger "Booooooooooooooooooooo" Goodell got paid US$63.9 million last year

Highest paid player Aaron Rodgers made $50.2 million
I bet you the average salary of his executive team is NOT $50.2M.

In the NFL players get 48.8% share of revenue whereas in the AFL revenue share is ~26%.

My concern is the players who put their bodies on the line and leave the game with life long concussion related issues or crippling knee & back problems are being shafted by a bloated head office.

Working in the AFL is a privilege. Comparing it to being an executive at an accounting firm or a hedge fund does not make sense.

Last edited:
Both are just long-time AFL types. Won’t make the slightest difference which one it is, they’ll do stuff the same way.

Not saying either will be bad, but they’re clearly just promoting somebody internally
I disagree, Gale will shake things up, which is why he will be unlikely to get the job. Im hoping he stays at the Tigers though.

Back