Certified Legendary Thread Brett Burton has been sacked and other great things

Remove this Banner Ad

Burton, who was on staff at West Lakes,
Aaand there's your problem. I had assumed he was on a contract. You can't just sack someone who's on staff without backup in the form of performance management or whatever. And if he was getting nothing but positive feedback, any consequences to that are on the club.

Burton took legal action and was understood to be prepared to go to court before the two parties agreed on his payout after protracted negotiations this week.

The former high-flying forward who played 177 games with the Crows became a victim of the internal and external reviews at Adelaide, which also claimed assistant coach Scott Camporeale and were preceded by senior coach Don Pyke’s resignation.

It is understood that Pyke and Camporeale’s contracts were paid out in part but Burton, who was on staff at West Lakes, was angered at the reasons for his sacking and the way it was communicated and challenged the club’s initial payout

Not much in it outside that in the article.

Paywalled article on Adelaide Now, we’ve reached settlement with Burton after he threatened legal action.

What a ******* joke.

The blokes who got it to this have to go, how could they possibly have given him positive feedback and reviews.

Fagan, Chapman, Roo, the lot of useless numpties.

The funny thing is that the AFL is full of second chances and welcoming back into the fold. Just shut your trap, deal with it quietly and you’ll get another go. Burton is so toxic in the industry that he had to leverage a court case, to extract his final dollars from football.

Having engaged with the CFO over a paltry $2k bill, I’m fully aware of their sensitivities, misplaced that they are. So it doesn’t surprise this is settled, even if we could easily defend our actions. Chapman goes quietly as he bends over wondering which way the pineapple will be aligned as it’s inserted into the AFC. After all, he’s got a consulting business with his actual name on it to look after. That’s much more important than the AFC.

Back to the funny. Burto’s prospects are so low that he’s accepted this settlement without a bilateral NDA. Or he’s so ignorant and/or arrogant that he thinks this ’win’ will enhance his future employment prospects. The local gym won’t hire him. Even if they looked past his god awful fitness history, they’d be s**t scared to employ him just in case they might need to let him go in the future.

They kept pushing the "in time" narrative with him. Looked like they knew he wasn't doing very well, but they'd backed him in so long they just kept hoping he'd eventually get his act together so they wouldn't have to do what they did.

Still haven't been asked by the media how the heck can they spend so long hyping and promoting a guy, only for an outside review to find he's a significant problem. They're spinning it as "the external review matched up with our internal one", but if that was the case and they had any inkling they were going to move Burton on (and Campo) they'd have already started sounding out people to replace him and it wouldn't have taken 3 months to find a new HoF.

I know Fagan said that the external review matched the internal review, but I’m not sure that he wasn’t alone in that view. He knew what was going on, but he was isolated from footy decisions whilst Roo was protecting his best buddy and Chappo was desperately trying to reach around both at the same time, but if he could only get one, then Roo would do quite fine.

My posting history, and even some threads that I started, shows that I turned on Fagan very early. Maybe the first, maybe the second, but very early. I’m still not convinced with the divergence, especially given the disaster of a footy dept that we created. But, if I had to stand in front of a firing squad and answer yes or no to whether Fagan had any deliberative involvement in our toxic footy dept, my answer is a confident no. It was Roo supporting Burto and Chappo supporting Roo.

Both should be gone, it’s a given. But they self appoint the board and there’s no way that will happen.

I know Fagan said that the external review matched the internal review, but I’m not sure that he wasn’t alone in that view. He knew what was going on, but he was isolated from footy decisions whilst Roo was protecting his best buddy and Chappo was desperately trying to reach around both at the same time, but if he could only get one, then Roo would do quite fine.

My posting history, and even some threads that I started, shows that I turned on Fagan very early. Maybe the first, maybe the second, but very early. I’m still not convinced with the divergence, especially given the disaster of a footy dept that we created. But, if I had to stand in front of a firing squad and answer yes or no to whether Fagan had any deliberative involvement in our toxic footy dept, my answer is a confident no. It was Roo supporting Burto and Chappo supporting Roo.

Both should be gone, it’s a given. But they self appoint the board and there’s no way that will happen.
I had been told there was one person pushing for an outside review and two people who were very much against it happening. Fagan knew s**t was getting bad, Roo and Chapman were both vehemently against bringing anyone in to review operations and were backing Burton to the hilt. If Fagan had his way the review would have been much more extensive than it was as well.

I've mentioned before speaking with a parent of a player who was talking about Chapman and that's his nature to be loyal because he gets personally close to the people he works with at the club, but at the end of the day you need to have that clarity to put the club above your personal relationships and both Chapman and Roo failed in that regard.

Why the fu** was Burton on staff?

Couldn’t have been. An L Plate from spurious past performance in his original and much lower role screams FIXED TERM CONTRACT with exit triggers our way. He can’t have been on staff. If he was, then it’s not just his backers in Roo and Chappo that need to go, the entire board must walk the plank with them.

Couldn’t have been. An L Plate from spurious past performance in his original and much lower role screams FIXED TERM CONTRACT with exit triggers our way. He can’t have been on staff. If he was, then it’s not just his backers in Roo and Chappo that need to go, the entire board must walk the plank with them.

I'm sure they just assumed Burton would be amazing and gave him a great offer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had been told there was one person pushing for an outside review and two people who were very much against it happening. Fagan knew s**t was getting bad, Roo and Chapman were both vehemently against bringing anyone in to review operations and were backing Burton to the hilt. If Fagan had his way the review would have been much more extensive than it was as well.

I've mentioned before speaking with a parent of a player who was talking about Chapman and that's his nature to be loyal because he gets personally close to the people he works with at the club, but at the end of the day you need to have that clarity to put the club above your personal relationships and both Chapman and Roo failed in that regard.

A Chairperson that spends 4 full days at the club is forgetting their primary role. My guess is that Chappo is a pure incompetent, like Burto, so doesn’t understand that their role is ensuring that others have the best opportunity to be brilliant at their roles. Burto is arrogant, ignorant and an incompetent. But at least he has the excuse that he was being paid $300kish per year to be involved. Chappo has no need or request to be involved in operations and yet this complete fork **** tells us that he needs to be there because nobody, that he approves of, has raised their hand to take on his 32 hour, unpaid week. Fu me Chappo, we’ve seen the fruits of your labour for a decade now. PLEASE, JUST GO.

Often think that he was promoted to role that was far above his current skill set
As much as one can tell looking in from the outside, he didn't look like he had the people skills to bring out the best in others. I'd assume this would be a key requirement of the role, and at first glance, something Adam Kelly seems better equipped for.

I'm sure they just assumed Burton would be amazing and gave him a great offer

* off. No ******* way. If this campaigner was not fixed term contracted, then the entire board must go. And Fagan if there’s not minutes or emails pushing an alternate view. I will happily give Fagan a pass for the s**t show that ensued under Burto’s watch. But not if he didn’t identify the risk in recruiting him outside of a fixed term contract.

Seriously, WTF?? Non-fixed term is for the best and the brightest. Neil Balme. I’d employ him on a wage at $800k per year and wear the risk. ******* failed ******* fitness idiot Brett ******* Burto isn’t on the list of riskable acquisitions. How the * he managed to negotiate anything other than a year on year is beyond me.

* it, let me guess. Mark Riccuito and Mr Reach Around, Ferret Face himself, Triggy’s biggest backer, Mr “I’m trading on my name”. What a ******* disaster this campaigner has been for our footy club.

Well Brett should have taken that as his first warning, being put on staff.

It was a terrible move with Neil, but you can understand the reasons. Neil had got us close, had some history of us performing extremely highly. We valued him but there was noise outside the fabled 4 walls, so they made a move to quieten down one angle against a guy that had some runs on the board. Even if they hadn’t gotten us to a flag. It’s understandable what they did, even though they were wrong.

But Brett Burton, he had no such runs on the board, he had earned nothing more than a, “you‘re lucky that you have a job at all, you’ve failed miserably in that role, but we’re stupid enough to promote you, but you’ll be needing to accept 1 year contracts.

nope, not Roo and Chappo, they put thus toxic moron on an employment contract. No wonder these 2 continued to back him in until the bitter end. Club ruining *******s the both.

Finally the leach has been dealt with & we have finalisation from the Birdbrain.

Chappy needs to now fall on his sword for overseeing this mess which has been dealt with despite his protests. Only then can we move on from this sorry chapter.

What’s this guy gonna do in the future? Can’t stay in AFL as very unemployable, and in all seriousness who’s going to attend a Brett Burton gym?

Kind of feel sorry for the guy

He's entitled to try and protect his reputation, but he's still a piece of s**t.

Hope he never gets another job in football again.

Exactly what I said when talking about this earlier today, he destroyed his own reputation with that presser about the collective mind camp. Now ship off Turdman.
Also hope never to see a ‘job for the boys’ appointment at the AFC again (wishful thinking).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those who appointed Burton need to fall on their swords. fu** Chapman, Fagan, Roo and anyone else involved in hiring this douchebag.
This is a bit over-the-top appraisal. Just want to remind posters that in his first year with us, we ended up being in a GF (2017). The recruiting wasn’t the problem, it was more the performances that declined linearly since the initial success (2018,2019).

What I heard 4th hand was that he did have good performance reviews and was being supported.

I look forward to seeing where he ends up.

It won't be in SA!
I'm sure he heard it as good things. But clearly there were parts of his job that were objectively substandard - such as soft tissue injury management - and the club took action on.

He's being selective in his hearing if he's not realising that.

Aaand there's your problem. I had assumed he was on a contract. You can't just sack someone who's on staff without backup in the form of performance management or whatever. And if he was getting nothing but positive feedback, any consequences to that are on the club.
Performance managing is not as simple as "negative feedback". It's an incredibly long and painful process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back