Certified Legendary Thread Brett Burton has been sacked and other great things

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m prepared to cut him some slack seeing as it’s fairly likely that Roo and Burton ran the footy dept with the full support of the board. And the whispers were that he’d been denied his request for a review and that he was in the opposing camp to Roo and Burton. I expect he’ll now be more involved and have more control in getting the right people into the right seats. So a repeat sees him squarely in the gun.
Nah * all that. When Fagan got to the club, he promised supporters he'd put together a quality footy department. His exact words were that putting the right people in the right positions was a "controllable". He's proven since then that he's completely full of s**t and none of us should be giving him a free pass for what happened these past 2 years.

Here are some choice quotes...

“That is my history ... deliver the best football program because that is what you can control. Put the right people in the right seats - and get the right system in place.

“That is the focus for me - give the Adelaide Crows the best football progam in the AFL.”

So by the standards he set for himself, he's been a complete and utter failure.

Last edited:
Nah fu** all that. When Fagan got to the club, he promised supporters he'd put together a quality footy department. His exact words were that putting the right people in the right positions was a "controllable". He's proven since then that he's completely full of s**t and none of us should be giving him a free pass for what happened these past 2 years.

“That is my history ... deliver the best football program because that is what you can control. Put the right people in the right seats - and get the right system in place.

“That is the focus for me - give the Adelaide Crows the best football progam in the AFL.”

Hard to argue with that, die by your sword

Nah fu** all that. When Fagan got to the club, he promised supporters he'd put together a quality footy department. His exact words were that putting the right people in the right positions was a "controllable". He's proven since then that he's completely full of s**t and none of us should be giving him a free pass for what happened these past 2 years.

We did get to "play" in a Grand Final in 20 years.....

Would be interesting change in dynamics at the club following the review between the board - Chapman & Roo v CEO Fagan & the incoming Footy Manager.

Will be healthier once Chapman goes & there is no good reason why he is still at the club except selfishness. Good leaders would have moved on a long time ago...

Would be interesting change in dynamics at the club following the review between the board - Chapman & Roo v CEO Fagan & the incoming Footy Manager.

Will be healthier once Chapman goes & there is no good reason why he is still at the club except selfishness. Good leaders would have moved on a long time ago...
Frustrating thing is if the club turns things around, Chapman will take the credit and supporters with goldfish memories will forget all the disasters he's overseen. I'd prefer he left now so he couldn't coast on the hard work of Nicks and others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It almost seems that bit of info is irrelevant on here.

It isn't relevant because getting flogged in a Grandfinal is never a good thing. Getting there and completely shitting the bed is worse than not making it at all. No one remembers some random prelim lost, but everyone will remember that time Adelaide was the patsy in Richmond's fairytale.

Of course it’s irrelevant
You do realise once the club gets to a GF, then it’s out of the club administrators’ hands right? The GF is solely dependent on the players and the coaches on the day.

So basically the admins did their job well in 2017. Of course the 2 years afterwards was the biggest 180 degree turnaround that we really didn’t need, and changes needed to happen.

It isn't relevant because getting flogged in a Grandfinal is never a good thing. Getting there and completely shitting the bed is worse than not making it at all. No one remembers some random prelim lost, but everyone will remember that time Adelaide was the patsy in Richmond's fairytale.
It will haunt us until we win a third flag

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

You do realise once the club gets to a GF, then it’s out of the club administrators’ hands right? The GF is solely dependent on the players and the coaches on the day.

So basically the admins did their job well in 2017. Of course the 2 years afterwards was the biggest 180 degree turnaround that we really didn’t need, and changes needed to happen.
But have they
Couldn't get the coach we wanted
Haven't appointed an assistant
No Head of Culture as recommended
Head of Football internal promotion
It's bullshit
Same train wreck, different track

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

I’m prepared to cut him some slack seeing as it’s fairly likely that Roo and Burton ran the footy dept with the full support of the board. And the whispers were that he’d been denied his request for a review and that he was in the opposing camp to Roo and Burton. I expect he’ll now be more involved and have more control in getting the right people into the right seats. So a repeat sees him squarely in the gun.

I actually don’t doubt that Fagan has had limited involvement in our footy department, but I’m not sure that’s something he should br hanging his hat on.

An organisation whereby the CEO is sidelined from the core business of that organisation by the Chairman and another director? The question I have regarding Fagan is, how does a quality, career CEO align himself with such a set up? A quality CEO probably doesn’t.

I can see how such a set up was created. Trigg was woeful when it came to the financial side of running a football club. He was lucky we have such a stable membership, which attracts sponsors etc. So when he left we brought in Fagan who’s chief goal was to expand the business and actually capitalise on our inherently strong financial position.

Sure he lacked much of an understanding of football and any meaningful football contacts, but hey, we had Roo as “Football Director” and Chapman fresh from his 6 month stint as our CEO whilst Trigg was suspended, both of whom were ultra keen to chip in and help out.

Now with Noble as head of football, things ran pretty smoothly from a football department perspective. Sure there were a few crises along the way, but they were handled as well as could be expected. So Fagan continues to put his energies towards the business. Chapman/Roo get increasingly cocky in their own abilities and how well the situation is working out. Trouble being their chief roles should be to sit back, take a broader perspective and challenge the CEO on all aspects of the business. How can this be done when they’re the ones call the shots day to day? Who’s holding Roo and Chapman to account when they’re effectively acting as CEO’s anyway?

Now if Fagan has been led down the garden path, then I do feel for him, the trouble is, is he really the right person if he’s allowed himself to be led in such a way?

The other key issue, is if Fagan does have a weakness in the football department, but we think his business acumen overrides this, we need to be installing a strong, competent, experienced administrator under him as football ops manager, who does know football. Not an inexperienced fitness coach who happens to be best buddies with your football director.

What was it Fagan said about the right people in the right chairs?

No, the admins in 2017 took advantage of what had been set up before.

When you replace a competent operator like Noble with a completely incompetent like Burton, this is what happens.

The question we need to be asking is how did we even consider Burton for the role when he doesn't even meet the essential criteria for the role. Says a lot about those who made the appointment!

No, the admins in 2017 took advantage of what had been set up before.
This would fit the BF theme nicely. And if by the same token of logic, our hamstring epidemic in 2018 could be explained by the incompetence of the fitness staff before Hass/Burton and it only took effect in 2018.

How about we keep it simple: the admins did good in 2017 but ****ed up in 2018/2019?

He is the CEO of a club who blew its premiership window mainly due to off field incompetence. He’s a huge part of the problem.
CEO has very little say in footy matters, he's been pushing for a review for 18 months only to be told everything was good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back