Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Could you imagine 6 years ago that we would have this project finally underway? Giving us state of the art facilities while at the same time also having the possibility of a redeveloped Gabba rivaling Optus stadium? The long term prospects of this club are looking fantastic!

Last edited:

nothing says starting a big project like digging into half-dead turf laid the morning-of with a golden shovel ;)

great to see it get rolling. Lets hope spider returns on the cam too
Not sure what the objective was to be throwing the dirt on top of the freshly laid half dead turf?

It feels like, at this point, that we have turned sod at this place numerous times already. I know we've had at least two other occasions where both ladies and lads have been interviewed out there while wearing our jumpers.

edit: Like this, back in December 2019. :D

1621223818930.png

Last edited:
It feels like, at this point, that we have turned sod at this place numerous times already. I know we've had at least two other occasions where both ladies and lads have been interviewed out there while wearing our jumpers.

View attachment 1130029
You mean, that photo is not from today?😕

Wasn't there talk a couple of weeks ago about Springfield being upgraded if Brisbane were to get the Olympics which is looking likely, I wonder with The Gabba to be out of action for a couple of years if it could be upgraded to a standard that would be acceptable to host AFL games during that time.

It would have to be capable of accommodating at least 20,000 you would think to cater for 11 & 3 game memberships... temporary grandstand/seating?

Wasn't there talk a couple of weeks ago about Springfield being upgraded if Brisbane were to get the Olympics which is looking likely, I wonder with The Gabba to be out of action for a couple of years if it could be upgraded to a standard that would be acceptable to host AFL games during that time.

It would have to be capable of accommodating at least 20,000 you would think to cater for 11 & 3 game memberships... temporary grandstand/seating?

If Brisbane gets the Olympics it will hosted the pentathlon the grounds capacity would have to be increased from 10,00 to 20,000. They said on the roar deal the state government wants them to play games in regional QLD when they can’t use The Gabba. I think they’ll end up playing at Springfield Metricon and around QLD.

Metricon Stadium for the Commonwealth Games had temporary grandstands maybe they will do that for Springfield.

Last edited:
If Brisbane gets the Olympics it will hosted the pentathlon they said on the roar deal the state government wants them to play games in regional QLD when they can’t use The Gabba.
2 years of home games in regional Queensland wouldn't put me off of keeping my membership as I'd make a weekend out of it and do some road trips but it would put a lot of members offside and tempt them to cancel their membership IMO.

If I was to have a guess I think we'll likely move most of our home games to Metricon.

2 years of home games in regional Queensland wouldn't put me off of keeping my membership as I'd make a weekend out of it and do some road trips but it would put a lot of members offside and tempt them to cancel their membership IMO.

If I was to have a guess I think we'll likely move most of our home games to Metricon.
Nooooo not injury stadium

yeh but come on. 1 shovel compared to 8? It definitely required re-do.

its all good to me, let the polies whore themselves to the camera as long as we get their money and support. it is a shame though there weren't any representative of the female lions (i could be mistaken, I recognize none of those people in the photo except harris and dayne :p)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharni Webb is in the photo. The majority of the team is actually on a footy trip.

yeh but come on. 1 shovel compared to 8? It definitely required re-do.

its all good to me, let the polies whore themselves to the camera as long as we get their money and support. it is a shame though there weren't any representative of the female lions (i could be mistaken, I recognize none of those people in the photo except harris and dayne :p)

Below photo from today 3.10pm
No wonder they had to take the media shot so close to the rail Station

View attachment 1130067
Someone should start a rumour and 'leak' it to Essendon that this was how we got so good at playing wet weather footy.

There's something I find really distasteful about politicians play-acting at construction work (and all blue-collar work really) just to shove their ugly mugs in the media yet again. Oh well, guess it's what has to be done to get the money.

If Brisbane gets the Olympics it will hosted the pentathlon the grounds capacity would have to be increased from 10,00 to 20,000. They said on the roar deal the state government wants them to play games in regional QLD when they can’t use The Gabba. I think they’ll end up playing at Springfield Metricon and around QLD.

Metricon Stadium for the Commonwealth Games had temporary grandstands maybe they will do that for Springfield.
I'd hope that we can play at Springfield during the years the Gabba is being knocked down and rebuilt, because going to Metricon for more than a year would be very annoying. The Olympics year itself will be an issue if Springfield is being used then too. I can put up with Metricon for that season, at least.

No issues with playing in regional cities, as long as the government stump up enough cash for the facilities to be good enough. Currently all the decent ovals are in Suns academy territory (Cairns, Townsville, Mackay), so perhaps this is an opportunity to get more investment in our academy areas. I'd be fine with taking a game or two each season to the Sunshine Coast or Toowoomba or Bundaberg if there was an AFL standard oval there.

There's something I find really distasteful about politicians play-acting at construction work (and all blue-collar work really) just to shove their ugly mugs in the media yet again. Oh well, guess it's what has to be done to get the money.

I'd hope that we can play at Springfield during the years the Gabba is being knocked down and rebuilt, because going to Metricon for more than a year would be very annoying. The Olympics year itself will be an issue if Springfield is being used then too. I can put up with Metricon for that season, at least.

No issues with playing in regional cities, as long as the government stump up enough cash for the facilities to be good enough. Currently all the decent ovals are in Suns academy territory (Cairns, Townsville, Mackay), so perhaps this is an opportunity to get more investment in our academy areas. I'd be fine with taking a game or two each season to the Sunshine Coast or Toowoomba or Bundaberg if there was an AFL standard oval there.
Anybody would think it was their money and not the taxpayers.

No need to cancel a membership. Just change your membership to a non game attending membership.

The stadium will also be used for AFLQ community programs, NEAFL and representative matches.

Should we tell them?

That was part of our pitch to the government. Listen, we will use it for alllll of our NEAFL matches.

1621243781058.png

The initial announcement sucked considering we're a brisbane based team, and springfield is pretty far off. But the opportunity of having a redeveloped Gabba rivarling Optus stadium has quashed that for me and now (if things go well) we will have two state of the art facilities/stadiums to work with. I also don't care about playing in northern queensland until the Gabba is redeveloped as well considering it gives us a chance to grow our fanbase up their and the endgame is huge for the club.

The initial announcement sucked considering we're a brisbane based team, and springfield is pretty far off. But the opportunity of having a redeveloped Gabba rivarling Optus stadium has quashed that for me and now (if things go well) we will have two state of the art facilities/stadiums to work with. I also don't care about playing in northern queensland until the Gabba is redeveloped as well considering it gives us a chance to grow our fanbase up their and the endgame is huge for the club.
North Queensland is the Suns zone. We should go West young man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back