Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Been checking the progress daily on the time lapse camera.

Doing some what appears to be cutting around the oval for level , drainage.
Few service pipes going in over the last two weeks just in front of the camera , around the road, also the large block rock retaining walls have been built.
It would be good to get the plans on it , so you could piece the puzzle together. Plenty of work on the creek side(right side of oval), going on as well.
Camera not on today.
Might take drive out there in a month or two.
This page has a has some of the plans on it a couple of years old and final renders have some slight changes but the layout should give you a bit of insight into site layout.

Image to add to your comments

View attachment 1207529
This page has a has some of the plans on it a couple of years old and final renders have some slight changes but the layout should give you a bit of insight into site layout.
Thanks bear,
I'll have a look.

But what about the spider? :(
Bird nourishment. RIP.
Woods Walks and Wildlife: Warblers and Waxwings and Wasps ...

Link to plans. (It might take a minute to open)
Much appreciated, It gives a bit of light on the construction , easier to piece things together.
I thought the grandstand was south of the oval but that is the western side, good shade in the arvo. As I said earlier the construction right of screen on the time lapse cam.
So the field runs approx. north south.
Again ,Thanks for the link.

The August update email from the chairman says it could be two maybe three years the club can’t play at The Gabba. Also says the club is already planning on where they will play when the redevelopment of the Gabba is happening. Chairman said the men could play games at Springfield.

The August update email from the chairman says it could be two maybe three years the club can’t play at The Gabba. Also says the club is already planning on where they will play when the redevelopment of the Gabba is happening. Chairman said the men could play games at Springfield.

2-3 yrs seems like a long time without the Gabba. Please no playing at sth Pine. I'm not keen on Burpengary either since it takes an age to get there but prefer there to the aforementioned sth pine, which is a terrible ground. The neighbouring pub isn't too shabby though.

2-3 yrs seems like a long time without the Gabba. Please no playing at sth Pine. I'm not keen on Burpengary either since it takes an age to get there but prefer there to the aforementioned sth pine, which is a terrible ground. The neighbouring pub isn't too shabby though.
Do you really think they would play actual AFL premiership games at South Pine?

I doubt they play at South Pine or Burpengary
Springfield would be an option if they can bump up seating capacity
Gabba won't come down till Cross River Rail opening date announced. So likely 2024/5
Lions & AFL have a bit of time for some lobbing for more grandstands be it some permanent or temporary
We can only hope
Below from the Cross River Road site
"Major construction works on Cross River Rail are due to be completed in 2024, ahead of extensive safety testing and commissioning, with services expected to commence in 2025."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt they play at South Pine or Burpengary
Springfield would be an option if they can bump up seating capacity
Gabba won't come down till Cross River Rail opening date announced. So likely 2024/5
Lions & AFL have a bit of time for some lobbing for more grandstands be it some permanent or temporary
We can only hope
Below from the Cross River Road site
"Major construction works on Cross River Rail are due to be completed in 2024, ahead of extensive safety testing and commissioning, with services expected to commence in 2025."
Personally, I’d rather them play at Burpengary than Springfield, because I’m closer to Burpengary, and Springfield takes an age to get there.

I may have exaggerated somewhat.

Playing at Springfield would be pretty good financially for us I imagine.
I would imagine there might be a chance that the smaller drawing teams we maybe able to play at Springfield but the larger drawing ones unfortunately may end up at Metricon 🤮.
Which may see crowds of a similar size due to the shithouse venue.
If they could up the capacity to 20k then just hold all games at Springfield I say.
Except maybe finals?

Any chance the Lions could shift their home games to the Exhibition Ground while the Gabba is being redeveloped? Oval field, reasonable capacity, central location, access to high capacity rail services once Cross River Rail opens and opportunity for the ground to be upgraded given its status as a future Olympics venue. Seems like the logical choice to me - what am I missing?

Any chance the Lions could shift their home games to the Exhibition Ground while the Gabba is being redeveloped? Oval field, reasonable capacity, central location, access to high capacity rail services once Cross River Rail opens and opportunity for the ground to be upgraded given its status as a future Olympics venue. Seems like the logical choice to me - what am I missing?
It would need substantial upgrades, no facilities for elite sport. And the current ground is too small.

Here's the relevant passage from Andrew Wellington's email >

Olympics and Springfield

On one level it was tremendously exciting to hear that Brisbane has been awarded the right to host the 2032 Olympic Games and the Gabba will be the centrepiece of those games.

While the redevelopment of the Gabba will provide a great legacy for it’s tenants and patrons post the Olympics, we are likely to experience significant disruption leading up to and during the Games. At this point we estimate the construction phase could leave us without access to the Gabba for two to three years, probably some time prior to 2030. Our access is also likely to be severely limited in 2032 itself.

We have started planning for those periods of disruption. In considering alternative venues for our home games there will be a range of criteria, including financial impact, but maintaining connection with our members and fan base will also be an important one.

Our development at Brighton Homes Arena, Springfield, is progressing well. You can see progress at lions.com.au. We expect the development will be complete by the end of September 2022.

Our AFLW team will finally have a permanent home for their home games. During the Gabba redevelopment period it may also be possible to play some of our men's games there.

Jake Anson Lions GM of Infrastructure on the Roar Deal today... Springfield update + Dayne Zorko >

Jake Anson Lions GM of Infrastructure on the Roar Deal today... Springfield update + Dayne Zorko >

Very good incite as to what is happening and planned at Springfield
Starts at the 34 minute mark and runs for 16 minutes
Even Bigfooty gets a mention
On schedule to finish Sep 2022
10k seating but have Council approval to 25K
Suggest the modeling for 20K would accommodate small puling crowds like GWS, Eagles, Dockers
A little RNA talk along with mentioning a Murray Bird (umpire) book on history of AFL in Queensland
I actually have this book: Title is "More Of The Kangaroo - 150 years of Australian Football in Queensland" By Murray Bird & Greg Parker
Well put together book that weighs a tonne. Glossy 1095 page book with lots of photos from each era

Very good incite as to what is happening and planned at Springfield
Starts at the 34 minute mark and runs for 16 minutes
Even Bigfooty gets a mention
On schedule to finish Sep 2022
10k seating but have Council approval to 25K
Suggest the modeling for 20K would accommodate small puling crowds like GWS, Eagles, Dockers
A little RNA talk along with mentioning a Murray Bird (umpire) book on history of AFL in Queensland
I actually have this book: Title is "More Of The Kangaroo - 150 years of Australian Football in Queensland" By Murray Bird & Greg Parker
Well put together book that weighs a tonne. Glossy 1095 page book with lots of photos from each era
I came on to mention that, either Dom or Jake is definitely a poster on here IMO.

Big Footy was mentioned re somebody bringing up South Pine Sports complex as a venue while Gabba redevelopment was happening + Dom said social media(BF?) was talking about Connor McFadyen as a left field replacement for McStay.

I came on to mention that, either Dom or Jake is definitely a poster on here IMO.

Big Footy was mentioned re somebody bringing up South Pine Sports complex as a venue while Gabba redevelopment was happening + Dom said social media(BF?) was talking about Connor McFadyen as a left field replacement for McStay.
Hmm , who could it be?. I reckon your right.
I think I know
;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back