Bring back the Bugle

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
OK - it’s time.

i‘m old enough to remember those magic days at Glenferrie when, amongst the cheer squad in the stand, we had a bugler and a bugle. At various times during the game he would blow his bugle which would cause an eruption (no sexual connotation intended) with the cheer squad, in response, launching into a chant which was echoed through the ground.

It‘s time for us to trade-mark that bugle - bring it to the MCG !!

Imagine if there’re 40,000 Hawk supporters at the G and the bugle sounds a war cry from the Shane Warne Stand!
Causing a chant around the ground. We need to galvanise our supporters, especially now, and especially our junior members.

Other clubs have their “trade-marked” call signs. The Tigers have the beating drums and the Tiger roar. Essendon has the dreadful bomber sound.
The Bullies have the barking bulldog.

Even Geelong has something - the shrieking, shrill, female, screamer announcer on Sunday afternoon who breached the peace by waking up every baby within a 2 kilometre radius and who shattered windows as far as Abbotsford.

Can we please find a bugler or trumpeter within our 80,000 supporters?
Quite literally, it could transform - and energise - our supporters at the G.

Last edited:
OK - it’s time.

i‘m old enough to remember those magic days at Glenferrie when, amongst the cheer squad in the stand, we had a bugler and a bugle. At various times during the game he would blow his bugle which would cause an eruption (no sexual connotation intended) with the cheer squad, in response, launching into a chant which was echoed through the ground.

Imagine if there’re 40,000 Hawk supporters at the G and the bugle sounds a war cry from the Shane Warne Stand!
Causing a chant around the ground. We need to galvanise our supporters, especially now, and especially our junior members.

Other clubs have their “trade-marked” call signs. The Tigers have the beating drums and the Tiger roar. Essendon has the dreadful bomber sound.

Even Geelong has something - the shrieking, shrill, female, screamer announcer on Sunday afternoon who breached the peace by waking up every baby within a 2 kilometre radius and who shattered windows as far as Abbotsford.

I was a music major in college. Fly me in!

OK - it’s time.

Agree.

Wonderful Hawks fan, the late Alf Milne, and his famous bugle and a photo of him blowing it have been on display in the Hawks Museum. When I was little in the early 1960s I lived in Hawthorn and you could hear Alf's bugling at Glenferrie Oval for at least a km away. Bring it back!View attachment 1661275
Thanks for posting the Museum Photo Bill.
I am going to the Museum this week and will have a further viewing of the above.

Daisy Pearce doesn't like this post.

Wonderful Hawks fan, the late Alf Milne, and his famous bugle and a photo of him blowing it have been on display in the Hawks Museum. When I was little in the early 1960s I lived in Hawthorn and you could hear Alf's bugling at Glenferrie Oval for at least a km away. Bring it back!View attachment 1661275
Wonderful post, thank you Bill.
I remember that photo - it had been in one of the papers at that time.

Can we please find a bugler?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to unleash the Hawthorn bagpipers.
Pipe Band Bagpipes GIF by The College of Wooster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back