Toast Welcome back, new President, Andy Gowers!

Remove this Banner Ad

fridge = chocolate agreed

I wonder what Andy's thoughts are on vegemite - I am a fridge person with that as well

Youre Wrong The West Wing GIF

Can somebody in the know please provide the details around Andy Gowers leaving Hawthorn as a player for Brisbane back in the 90's. Was it a falling out between him and the club, was he moved on, or did he choose to leave? ....

Can somebody in the know please provide the details around Andy Gowers leaving Hawthorn as a player for Brisbane back in the 90's. Was it a falling out between him and the club, was he moved on, or did he choose to leave? ....
He spoke about this on the Hawks Insiders pod.

He said he didn’t want to leave Hawthorn but understood that the club were looking to move him on. He then decided he wanted to go to Brisbane if he had to go.

He said that for a long time he was hurt over how he was pushed out, but it was Ian Dicker who was president at the time who reached out to him and asked him how he felt about Hawthorn, subsequently offering him the opportunity to rejoin the fold.

He said he didn’t want to leave Hawthorn but understood that the club were looking to move him on. He then decided he wanted to go to Brisbane if he had to go.

He said that for a long time he was hurt over how he was pushed out, but it was Ian Dicker who was president at the time who reached out to him and asked him how he felt about Hawthorn, subsequently offering him the opportunity to rejoin the fold.
I can only imagine how much s**t we'd be in without the sage leadership of Dicker. He's a bloody legend

Sad to hear.

I saw him at Lions training a couple of times in Brisbane. He used to get a lot of encouragement from the coaches during match sim but didn't seem to crack many games. I always felt he wasn't the same player up there ... Now it makes sense.

Wish him well back at the nest ....

I thought Gowers handled that very well considering the constant hooks that Kane tried to get him to bite on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four to Five years to play finals? Did i hear that correctly ?
Seems a bit of a slap! I'm realsitically thinking 25/26 EIP.

Gowers didn't say that. Cornes did.
But honestly, its only one more year than what you have suggested.
I think 25 is reasonable for finals, meaning the current group has 3 full seasons together to develop further and finish in the 6-8 bracket.

Gowers was just avoiding the trash media attempt of getting a sound bite to throw back in his face if things don't eventuate. Internally they will no doubt have high expectations and goals and that's all that matters.

Made my ears prick up too.

My immediate thought(and I’ve clarified this since)was that Lewis, Moore, CJ, Reeves, Scrim, Nash, Meek, Morrison and Worpel all need to be 28-29yrs old before we play finals in this scenario, with Newk, Finn, Day, DGB, Stephens and Kosi all needing to be 25-26. I’m sorry Kane, but that’s just straight bullshit. 😂

If our development tracks in the right direction we should be fighting with others for a final spot by 2025.

If we are discussing Gowers interview he wa singing from the same sheet as Sam Mitchell

They may have been fishing for Gowers not supporting Sam for the Journey. Was solid

Healey suggested 5 years asking if Sam still gets support.

Gowers didn't say that. Cornes did.
But honestly, its only one more year than what you have suggested.
I think 25 is reasonable for finals, meaning the current group has 3 full seasons together to develop further and finish in the 6-8 bracket.
I’m can’t be bothered listening again but I don’t recall either of them saying it.

I do remember Healy asking the question & being his usual ‘dick ‘ about it.
That bloke is a fcukwit

I’m can’t be bothered listening again but I don’t recall either of them saying it.

I do remember Healy asking the question & being his usual ‘dick ‘ about it.
That bloke is a fcukwit
Thought i have heard him be positive about Hawthorn in a couple of games over the last year. 1st time in 15 years Ive heard him say something good without being through gritted teeth

These guys are straight out delusional (Healy, Cornes) if they think the list is that bad it will take 5 years just to play finals. Didn't realise we just lost Dustin Martin and Petracca over the off season plus Max Gawn as the Ruck/Captain. Why go get Amon if he won't even be there when we next win a flag according to them?. Just nonsense talk which I'm glad Gowers didn't take the bait with. Cornes needs to park his obsession with us and focus on his mates at Alberton. There's way more pressure on them to achieve something the next year or 2 than what we do. Trying to deflect as usual.

These guys are straight out delusional (Healy, Cornes) if they think the list is that bad it will take 5 years just to play finals. Didn't realise we just lost Dustin Martin and Petracca over the off season plus Max Gawn as the Ruck/Captain. Why go get Amon if he won't even be there when we next win a flag according to them?. Just nonsense talk which I'm glad Gowers didn't take the bait with. Cornes needs to park his obsession with us and focus on his mates at Alberton. There's way more pressure on them to achieve something the next year or 2 than what we do. Trying to deflect as usual.
Hes going hard at West Coast too.

Just a bully picking on easy targets.

I know it's his shtick but it provides nothing of value. Does my head in but it's just the way 'journalism' is these days.

s**t at least Healy asked some questions with a measure of respect. Like him or not he is far more professional

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

This is a good read.

Who knew that we can really thank the Batmobile for the change at the top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back