List Mgmt. Buckley "Mix up with Mayne recruitment".

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-01/mix-up-with-mayne-recruitment-concedes-buckley

COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley has revealed there "were a few things mixed up" with the recruitment of Chris Mayne on a lucrative four-year deal from Fremantle.

The 28-year-old has struggled for form in his first season at the Magpies, with the forward spending most of the year in the VFL after kicking just two goals in three senior games - with his last coming in round three.

Speaking on Melbourne radio station SEN on Friday, Buckley said a communication breakdown with suspended director of football Graeme Allan didn't allow for the smoothest recruitment of Mayne.

Allan, who took over from Neil Balme at the end of the 2016 season, is currently serving a one-year suspension for his role in helping Greater Western Sydney player Lachie Whitfield avoid a drug test in his time at the Giants.

With the former Docker still having three seasons to run on his contract, Buckley concedes he and his list management team – headed by Derek Hine – have some decisions to make.

"There were a few things mixed up with (Mayne's recruitment)," Buckley said.

"The director of football was flipping around, and there were a few things in there that weren't ideal.

"It's been a tough year for 'Mayney', and we've got some decisions to make going forward on that.

"The hasn't been a great result for the first 12 months.

"'Mayney' is currently playing VFL football, and has been first-class with his attitude and his commitment to the club and the team, as we knew he would.

"But (his form) at AFL level hasn't been at we or he thought it was going to be."

While Buckley said a senior coach is too busy to be keeping a close eye on talent available at an upcoming draft, he added he has a much better idea of established AFL players who the club can attract through free agency or a trade.

"If you trade for a player or get a player through free agency, they're not free because they (take salary cap space), it takes a piece of the pie you can't go and allocate elsewhere," Buckley said.

"That's a full-time role, and Derek's done that for a long time, he's had great success.

"The senior coach doesn't have time to work out those numbers.

"I've always had the belief if you're a senior coach, on exposed form (of an established player), you always have a say in than the national draft, because you just don't have time to watch those guys."

Interesting reading.

Perhaps people that reckon Gubby wasn't responsible can now put a sock in it? If he ends up back at the club again after our worst trade & free agency period that I can ever remember, then we really are a rabble.

I don't like the fact we even looked at him at all & the coach was well & truly aware & approved recruiting Mayne.

"I've always had the belief if you're a senior coach, on exposed form (of an established player), you always have a say"

Sometimes s**t calls are made, in this case Gubby left a steaming dump for us to clean up.

I'm sure both parties will reach an agreement.
Mayne is a very reasonable person and won't hold us over a barrell to play another 3 years in the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to the interview and the article is up there with Kim Jong Ed in terms of spin!

Buckley was referring to the role "flipping around" not Gubby. Also with the admission that he's a member of the list management team he had a say in Mayne's recruitment.

Overall it's on Gubby for the main part (as anyone with half a brain knows), however the other 5 members of our list management team that were too spineless to overrule it share part of the blame.

If we were an airline we would have a whole series of Air Crash Investigations just to ourselves by now.

I would like to know what "the mix up" is, is it money? Is it length of contract or the whole thing?
Not that I'm concerned but imagine what's going through maynes head, his coach and all the media are pubically stating he's a f**k up. But in saying that he can't sook to much with what he's being paid!

Gone how?

Best we could do is attempt to revise his contract and give him a 600k pay day to retire.
Paid out. Off the list. It would be hard to keep him now the coach has basically said his recruitment was a stuff up I would've thought. I'd imagine he would be told he won't be playing seniors.. could he please retire with a nice payout.

I too would like to make a 2 million dollar booboo and get a 2 year extension after blaming it on my cat.

From that information it sounds like the Mayne deal was Gubby's call not Buckley's. Buckley might have been okay with getting Mayne but not agreed with the contract length and cost.

We have lost sight of what competent looks like.

We abhor proper systems and processes because that is the culture of our president.

This is the Eddie tax. We are in his image good and bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back