News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

No real surprise except for the timing. The way he handled the departures of Treloar and Stephenson in 2020 made me think he was a big part of the problem. Once Eddie left it was only a matter of time.

Football is a cruel industry

In general I've had a lot of time for Buckley, although some of the Lumumba stuff did give me some pause.

Onfield-wise, however, his record is pretty undeniably underwhelming. They got worse every single season from 2012 to 2017. Then obviously came out of nowhere to make a grand final in 2018, and then declined in 2019, declined further in 2020 and then fell off the cliff this year and it's hard to imagine them contending for the next 2-3 years.

He won't be lost to the game, not a chance; he'll be around again in some capacity. I'd be tipping media, from memory he was pretty smooth in his brief foray into that around 2008.

Ripple effect will be interesting.

Pies go after Mitchell to force Hawks hand and get Clarkson into the market?

He won't be lost to the game, not a chance; he'll be around again in some capacity. I'd be tipping media, from memory he was pretty smooth in his brief foray into that around 2008.
Eddies already got a job lined up for him in the Media. Bet he's on the panel at Footy Classified next week and calling the game on FoxFooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're just proving my point. I'm not offended by anything. All I'm doing is observing the way our society is dictating the job security of the whole league and hanging sh*t on people in it as much as they can.
On the contrary, you're proving his. Looking to blame anyone and everything, when the simple fact is, he's coached them for 10 years and largely under-achieved. He was lucky to keep his job midway through the decade and only did because Eddie adored him. Came back and made a grand final, but the wheels have fallen off. this is a football decision and nothing else.

I actually like Bucks the coach way more than Bucks the player, don't think he's a bad coach and he may get another chance. But there's not a lot of evidence he's a great coach either, so if he doesn't, well so be it.

And in year 6, after 'improving every year' - Richmond under Hardwick finished in a lower position than Collingwood every did under Buckley, despite the Pies 'going backward every year'...

Your logic is illogical.
Not true, they finished 13th which is where Collingwood finished in 2017 in his 6th season in charge

Funnily enough Buckley regressed every year (6 years up to that point) after taking over the premier list in the league whereas Hardwick took over the worst.

Apples and oranges

I mean its all trivial anyway, if Buckley stayed in charge for the rest of the year he wouldn't have got Collingwood up to 13th this year anyway

On the contrary, you're proving his. Looking to blame anyone and everything, when the simple fact is, he's coached them for 10 years and largely under-achieved. He was lucky to keep his job midway through the decade and only did because Eddie adored him. Came back and made a grand final, but the wheels have fallen off. this is a football decision and nothing else.

I actually like Bucks the coach way more than Bucks the player, don't think he's a bad coach and he may get another chance. But there's not a lot of evidence he's a great coach either, so if he doesn't, well so be it.
I'd argue he's overachieved. That grand final squad wasn't that great. You have just proven you're the one who's picking him apart and passing judgement. Not me.

Damien Hardwick.

Oh and you forgot the part about making a grand final. And you also forgot the part that only 1 team can win it in a given year. So with that logic most coaches would be sacked.
Richmond improved every season from 2010 to 2013, bobbled thereabouts without truly threatening in 2014-15, had a shocker in 2016 but then have been the best side in the game since.

Not comparable to Bucks. Hardwick's trajectory was more similar to Bomber Thompson's first seven years at Geelong.

Micky took over the Pies as wooden Spooner's and took them to new heights 5 GFs 1 win 1 draw 3 losses.

Bucks took over a team that had won drawn and lost a GF in its previous 2 seasons and couldn't get it done.

Should never have left the Bears after one season = KARMA.

Wikipedia already has him as Carlton coach 😀

Buckley was only a few points away from having a premiership in 7 years. Give him a bit of respect for it. Had Sheed not kicked that goal he'd be a premiership coach. With that bit of luck would you all of a sudden have respect for him? He's be the exact same bloke and coach with or without the accolade. It's not the be all and end all.
So what is your point exactly?

No coach should ever be sacked? winning premiership doesn't define success as an elite sporting coach?

If he had of won the premiership he would have been given the time to rebuild the list but he didn't and therefore didn't earn the right to rebuild again. It's the normal life cycle of a coach, I don't see why you have gotten you knickers in a knot over it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back