Home & Garden Buying a home.

Remove this Banner Ad

took me 7 years of working full time to get to the point where I could buy a unit

Are you me?

I was not able to move out of home until my 30s, and even then the house I have is not exactly the dream 4 x 2 on a quarter acre block.

I feel sorry for those currently struggling to save enough to buy their first house. Sydney and Melbourne in particular look insane with their prices.

Massive respect for anyone who buys their first place with no help these days, especially in a major city. It's a huge achievement.

Is Perth a major city? lulz

What's the grant, like $10k? Is it really worth mucking around for?

It might be different between states, but in Victoria the first home owners grant has largely been replaced by stamp duty being eliminated for first home buyers. The $10k still exists, but only if the property hasn’t been lived in before (off the plan).

Agreed on don’t go doing anything dodgy, with MyGov and all the government agencies sharing that data, there is bound to be a slip up somewhere and it just isn’t worth it.

I feel sorry for those currently struggling to save enough to buy their first house. Sydney and Melbourne in particular look insane with their prices.
I don’t know how anyone can get ahead of the game. We bought our place two and a half years ago, stretched ourselves to do it, and the virtually identical place two doors down just sold for almost 70% more than we paid.

There will be a correction at some point but it’s hard to imagine it will be that big

The market is just mad, unsustainable. I don’t know what the end game for all this is.

I don’t know how anyone can get ahead of the game. We bought our place two and a half years ago, stretched ourselves to do it, and the virtually identical place two doors down just sold for almost 70% more than we paid.

There will be a correction at some point but it’s hard to imagine it will be that big

The market is just mad, unsustainable. I don’t know what the end game for all this is.
When you compare Australian prices to OS you realise even more how mad it is here

you can buy Prince Charles old place for 9 mill that would be at least double or triple that if it was in Australia

Brimpstead Estate boasts a gorgeous pink granite Edwardian family home with six bedrooms, six bathrooms and seven living areas.
The property also features two additional three-bedroom cottages, established, manicured grounds, and a six-car garage

We bought 12 months ago, growth in our area has been 22% (more in certain pockets).

For being here for 12 months (not doing a single thing) weve made nearly $150k.

Its ******* insane and whilst it seems cool, its not like it helps cause just about everywhere else we might want to upgrade too is still out of our price range. Shudder to think what it will be like for my 4 month old when he wants to buy his own place in 20ish years. No chance without lots of help from mum and dad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We bought 12 months ago, growth in our area has been 22% (more in certain pockets).

Its ******* insane and whilst it seems cool, its not like it helps cause just about everywhere else we might want to upgrade too is still out of our price range. Shudder to think what it will be like for my 4 month old when he wants to buy his own place in 20ish years. No chance without lots of help from mum and dad.
yeah our place almost doubled in value in under 7 years, it's insane

I can't believe that there wont be a correction at some stage soon but then again I've thought this for probably ten years.

The smugness of real estate agents annoys me more than it should if I'm honest.

Im looking for my last place.....so it has to be perfect and they just keep going up by hundreds.
Ive narrowed it down to location A,B,C

Luckily my current place is probably doing the same,the timing will be important.

Plan B is
I might end up selling here and going OS for a year and see if it cools down after an interest rate hike

I can't believe that there wont be a correction at some stage soon but then again I've thought this for probably ten years.

The smugness of real estate agents annoys me more than it should if I'm honest.
Probably hasn't ever been a better time to be a real estate agent.

Taking commission on overpriced properties that get sold within the week or two of listing.

Probably hasn't ever been a better time to be a real estate agent.

Taking commission on overpriced properties that get sold within the week or two of listing.
Absolutely, they'd be loving it. But a lot of them act like they're 100% responsible for it.

A lot of people will be waiting until their parents pass away before they can own a home I reckon. If your parents never owned their own place I'd say it would be very unlikely that you would too.

Absolutely, they'd be loving it. But a lot of them act like they're 100% responsible for it.

A lot of people will be waiting until their parents pass away before they can own a home I reckon. If your parents never owned their own place I'd say it would be very unlikely that you would too.
Hard to argue whether they provide any value to society either really - they work in an industry that's purposefully designed to take money out of the real economy.

"Helping people find their forever homes". Yeah, right.

Hard to argue whether they provide any value to society either really - they work in an industry that's purposefully designed to take money out of the real economy.

"Helping people find their forever homes". Yeah, right.
Pretty easy money when 99% of the work is done online

I reckon I've probably 'made' around the same (20-25%) in the last year having bought two years ago.

When I bought I was hoping to make a little bit in the short term compared to the market (bought in a bit of a dip, particular property was on the market for ages and sold below previous sale price etc.) but we're talking maybe a couple of % to cover changeover costs. COVID or no COVID I never would have thought I could do nothing and make 20%+ in the space of a year.

It's not sustainable, but it's a zero sum game anyway. Good time to own investment properties or be downsizing boomer, but then when isn't?

Is there an easier job in the world? Just rock up and rake in the commission.

Our agent made 2% on out sale. He was pretty good though and made contact a couple of times a week. I reckon under lockdown it was a pretty sweet job, places were selling themselves.

At 2% commission i surprised how much he wanted to try and get us an extra $5k or $10k when he is only making an extra $100 or $200. But then again, we will give him a good review so that would be the reason.

Our agent made 2% on out sale. He was pretty good though and made contact a couple of times a week. I reckon under lockdown it was a pretty sweet job, places were selling themselves.

At 2% commission i surprised how much he wanted to try and get us an extra $5k or $10k when he is only making an extra $100 or $200. But then again, we will give him a good review so that would be the reason.
I know a few real estate agents.

They fit nearly all the sterotypes (sleazy, fast talking, wanky, showy) but they are also some of the hardest working people i know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back