Play Nice Bye Bye Brad [v4.0] - IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 3some with me, Jen and a tin of strawberry quick is more likely.

Jen?

DU3G339sjSSr95SpVcw0Q5AyW9N4I84AKnFCTB9j4-yYjLS_E9B83ezH0NxF9eHlgRJEyg=w270-h229-nc

NTTAWWT of course

Yes. What has that got to do with this discussion?

Are you saying that the only reason they have gone through decades without a premiership is because they've changed coaches?

1. That's not true.

2. Even if it was, it has no relevance.

going through a number of coaches doesn't guarantee success. it's very relevant to the argument you're trying to put forward - you're argument is flawed because you're saying scott should be sacked when there is no evidence that sacking coaches provides any kind of success. if anything you only have to look at last year to see that a club that makes a few slight changes around the head coach can provide very instant and sustained success.

We climbed 6 spots on the ladder and you want to throw your toys out of the cot. Enter archers elevens....

While you were throwing your tantrum I enjoyed this year. Lots of players had break out years and we had a lot of great wins. Something to build on.

I find your sooking amusing.
Hawthorn rose 8 spots.

I enjoyed the season up until the bye, we were playing good pressure football. Then the complacent second half came along where coach and players thought they'd done enough...

Always something to build on with the Wilds Bills of the world.

What about building on a first half of a season for once? A lot of great wins, followed by losses to *(Scott's gameplan lol), western(players and coach asleep at the wheel 2nd half. Who would of thought?) and Sydney(led by 7 with 3.30 to go lol) and to a lesser extent Adelaide over there(always a bridge to far for Scott's)

Always next year hey Wilds Bills?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
going through a number of coaches doesn't guarantee success. it's very relevant to the argument you're trying to put forward - you're argument is flawed because you're saying scott should be sacked when there is no evidence that sacking coaches provides any kind of success. if anything you only have to look at last year to see that a club that makes a few slight changes around the head coach can provide very instant and sustained success.
There's also no evidence to suggest that keeping Scott will lead to success. Remember, there's only two coaches in the history of the VFL/AFL that have coached for longer and not made a GF, and none in the modern era that have coached for as long without finishing top 4 in the H&A season. Now, it would be difficult to determine, but there might be coaches who had coached the same length of time as Brad without making a GF and then made one later, but they would be anomalies. That, combined with his record to date, suggests it's unlikely moving forward that he's good enough to take us to a top 4 H&A finish, thus a home prelim, and a GF appearance and premiership.

And no one's suggesting that we should "go through a number of coaches," just that Brad has been here for 9 years now and has only a couple of Prelim finals appearances, as enjoyable as they were, to show for it, and asking the question of whether he is the person to lead us to the promised land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick went from 13th to a flag or something similar. The change at his club came with the return of Neil Balme. Buckley - who still hasn't done a whole lot - has had massive clean outs of the assistant coaching staff over the last 2 seasons. So of those two teams the one that won a flag actually changed the head of the football department or something similar.

And Balme has a record of reasonable a high level of success. Every team he has worked with since he became an administrater 20 years ago has made a GF while he has been working with them. Two of those teams have won flags, one of them won 3 flags (Rich and Cats). The other team won a flag while he was elsewhere under a coach he appointed (Pies). He has been football manager for 4 flags from 7 GFs in 20 years. The three clubs he has administered have won 5 flags from 9 GF appearances over the time he has been an administrator.

Its not as simple as saying "Sack the coach he's the one making it all happen/go wrong."

I’ve been saying this for a while

Brad needs a total clean out around him like the pies and tigers did

There's also no evidence to suggest that keeping Scott will lead to success. Remember, there's only two coaches in the history of the VFL/AFL that have coached for longer and not made a GF

ok, so why not look at the REASONS and analyse the whole context of the situation instead of a uni variant analysis - we had what's regarded as one of the worst lists in the league, so being a bee's d!ck away from a GF in 2015 is a pretty good effort i'd say. i doubt any coach could've won a premiership with the list we had - we were all hoping to just snag one, but it was never going to be sustained success with the old and average list we had.

and none in the modern era that have coached for as long without finishing top 4 in the H&A season. Now, it would be difficult to determine, but there might be coaches who had coached the same length of time as Brad without making a GF and then made one later, but they would be anomalies. That, combined with his record to date, suggests it's unlikely moving forward that he's good enough to take us to a top 4 H&A finish, thus a home prelim, and a GF appearance and premiership.

And no one's suggesting that we should "go through a number of coaches," just that Brad has been here for 9 years now and has only a couple of Prelim finals appearances, as enjoyable as they were, to show for it, and asking the question of whether he is the person to lead us to the promised land.

we finished in the top 4 for two years in a row - not finishing in the top 4 in the H&A season only shows the lack of depth we had for so long - certain players would go down and we'd have no chance of competing, 2016 is a perfect example.

the best 25-30 players in north have never been a premiership quality team for the last 9 years.

Maybe coaches like simpson or clarkson could've taken north to a premiership - i can't see any other options out there that are a better alternative to scott.

apples-oranges.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

We both have upload_2018-9-23_10-20-26.jpeg caps don't we? We both enter the draft with hours spent studying the youngsters form lines and then surely both of us all call every single KPD/HBFer we can get our hands on? While ignoring anyone with pace and ability to break lines or deliver the ball well by hand or foot.

We only have ourselves to blame for the current list issues.
We also will not trade away a player regardless of how many others we have that could play a similar role.

We both have View attachment 562660 caps don't we? We both enter the draft with hours spent studying the youngsters form lines and then surely both of us all call every single KPD/HBFer we can get our hands on? While ignoring anyone with pace and ability to break lines or deliver the ball well by hand or foot.

We only have ourselves to blame for the current list issues.
We also will not trade away a player regardless of how many others we have that could play a similar role.
But he was right. One coach is an easy to eat, sweet apple, the other is a hard to peel sour orange!

Surely the success of Thompson, Hardwick and now Buckley shows that sacking a coach because he hasn’t achieved a flag in x years or because others achieved a flag quicker, is flawed.

Were these guys bad coaches who got better with time (as most talented people do) or were they always great coaches who just needed some luck?

Surely the success of Thompson, Hardwick and now Buckley shows that sacking a coach because he hasn’t achieved a flag in x years or because others achieved a flag quicker, is flawed.

Were these guys bad coaches who got better with time (as most talented people do) or were they always great coaches who just needed some luck?
That's not to say some guys just don't have what it takes to succeed though. Scott has been coach for 9 years. At this point Thompson was coaching his second Grand Final in which his team were favourites to go back-to-back. Hardwick famously started at the same time and is now a premiership coach. For all his failings, Buckley is coaching in a Grand Final this week in his 7th season. Scott has finished higher than 8th once (6th in 2014).

Personally, I don't think Scott is a bad coach. The reasons why some teams succeed and others don't goes far deeper than who coaches the side. What I would say however is that if we're still not a genuine contender by the end of his current contract it's probably time to get someone new in - you have to have at least some amount of results based accountability in a professional sporting environment.

apples-oranges.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
One coach consistently gets the best out of his list, the other doesnt.

One coach has made the regular season top 4 twice and taken his team to grand finals both times.

One coach drops players for non performance, the other backs his players in to the detriment of the team.

One coach walks the walk while the other talks the talk...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's not to say some guys just don't have what it takes to succeed though. Scott has been coach for 9 years. At this point Thompson was coaching his second Grand Final in which his team were favourites to go back-to-back. Hardwick famously started at the same time and is now a premiership coach. For all his failings, Buckley is coaching in a Grand Final this week in his 7th season. Scott has finished higher than 8th once (6th in 2014).

Personally, I don't think Scott is a bad coach. The reasons why some teams succeed and others don't goes far deeper than who coaches the side. What I would say however is that if we're still not a genuine contender by the end of his current contract it's probably time to get someone new in - you have to have at least some amount of results based accountability in a professional sporting environment.

I agree. The point is that people could have (and did) point to Hardwick’s time without a GF as a reason to sack him. No coach has gone this long, why are we persisting, etc, etc. Then he won one. Same boat for Buckley, now in a GF.

The history with football supporters has been impatience on results. And results alone have driven decisions, more so at some clubs than others (more often than not to their long term detriment).

I think Scott is as good as Buckley and Hardwick. Of course failings shouldn’t be scrutinised or at some point we will make the decision that a new voice is needed.

Things might not go his way in terms of a flag, but he has been very good for our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back