Recommitted Cameron Rayner [re-signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Not much talk about Rayner, given he's a former #1 draft pick. Couldn't find a thread in this sub-forum either.

Had a poor showing in a winning final last night, and still drifts in and out of games, but has definitely improved a bunch this year on his very poor second year in 2019 even if raw stats don't really show a huge change.

What do people see happening with him in the future? Will he stay in Brisbane? Return home to Victoria? Will he eventually make that leap (similar to Christian Petracca) into being a powerful full-time mid?

Has definitely improved a lot this year and having a lot more impact during games even if the stats sheet doesn't indicate so (allowing for the different match lengths, statistically more similar to his first season). Only had the five disposals last night, but one was a goal and two were goal assists. Had the most pressure acts of our forwards too. Next step will be getting his hands on the ball more and consistency.

Not sure he'll ever have the tank to be a full time midfielder, but I think he can became a good forward that can play 20% of the game through the midfield.

Seems to enjoy being up in Brisbane, so I hope we can keep him long term. Think he has a partner up here currently which is a good start.

Not much talk about Rayner, given he's a former #1 draft pick. Couldn't find a thread in this sub-forum either.

Had a poor showing in a winning final last night, and still drifts in and out of games, but has definitely improved a bunch this year on his very poor second year in 2019 even if raw stats don't really show a huge change.

What do people see happening with him in the future? Will he stay in Brisbane? Return home to Victoria? Will he eventually make that leap (similar to Christian Petracca) into being a powerful full-time mid?

Doubt he would leave, given that Brisbane look to be well set up to be a strong team going forward and Fagan seems to be taking a longer term approach than many coaches do.

He has improved, and he has talent but he is lucky that the rest of the team has come on and gelled. His output for a number 1 draft pick is underwhelming to say the least.

Has definitely improved a lot this year and having a lot more impact during games even if the stats sheet doesn't indicate so (allowing for the different match lengths, statistically more similar to his first season). Only had the five disposals last night, but one was a goal and two were goal assists. Had the most pressure acts of our forwards too. Next step will be getting his hands on the ball more and consistency.

Not sure he'll ever have the tank to be a full time midfielder, but I think he can became a good forward that can play 20% of the game through the midfield.

Seems to enjoy being up in Brisbane, so I hope we can keep him long term. Think he has a partner up here currently which is a good start.
Watching Rayner live is very different to Rayner on the TV. He does a lot of stuff off the ball too.
He was decent last night. Had a lot of good moments. Would have had another shot for goal if he didn't slip over when Charlie popped a kick into the pocket for him in a dead ball situation.

Thought he was the best player on the ground from my behind the goal vantage point in the Q-clash toward the end of the year.

I mean, I'd much rather Zac Bailey than Cam Rayner in my team but, still think he does a lot of good things too.

Watching Rayner live is very different to Rayner on the TV. He does a lot of stuff off the ball too.
He was decent last night. Had a lot of good moments. Would have had another shot for goal if he didn't slip over when Charlie popped a kick into the pocket for him in a dead ball situation.

Thought he was the best player on the ground from my behind the goal vantage point in the Q-clash toward the end of the year.

I mean, I'd much rather Zac Bailey than Cam Rayner in my team but, still think he does a lot of good things too.

He does good things but Berry and McCluggage were drafted in the first round the year before, and they are far far better footballers than Rayner atm.

We haven’t even gone through 2020 yet.

We haven’t even gone through 2020 yet.

There's numerous threads in this sub-forum for guys who aren't out of contract until the end of 2022.

Seems fair enough to discuss a former #1 pick whose is out of contract in 12 months. I was surprised that he wasn't being discussed already.

Boy does this guy go under the radar. Talk about escaping scrutiny.

Petracca was regularly admonished with almost twice the output (other than goals) in his first 3 years. And he wasn't even a pick one !

Benefit of being out of the AFL media bubble I guess. Rayner doesn't have the hype or expectation that Petracca had.

In 2017, I remember the hype around Petracca was huge with comparisons being made to Dusty and Gray at the time. I think the admonishment that Petracca copped over the subsequent two seasons was hugely in part because he wasn't meeting the ridiculous expectations that was placed on him by the media. I don't think Rayner has the same expectations of him (not many players do).

I'm glad it looks like it's clicked for Petracca because he's been one of the best players to watch this season.

Benefit of being out of the AFL media bubble I guess. Rayner doesn't have the hype or expectation that Petracca had.

In 2017, I remember the hype around Petracca was huge with comparisons being made to Dusty and Gray at the time. I think the admonishment that Petracca copped over the subsequent two seasons was hugely in part because he wasn't meeting the ridiculous expectations that was placed on him by the media. I don't think Rayner has the same expectations of him (not many players do).

I'm glad it looks like it's clicked for Petracca because he's been one of the best players to watch this season.
Last year on this site posters were saying that Petracca was ''overrated'', I thought the opposite such was the overblown criticism in a year he finished top 5 in our B&F.

I remember when Rayner was first drafted he was asked who he played like. I think the questioner referenced Martin, but it was Petracca that came out of Rayner's mouth.

It's all about the tank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of players who actually are reportedly wanting out.

So you have anything to say he does?

Are we not allowed to discuss a player, and his potential prospects of staying or going, without some bulls**t "mail" or "inside word" or "whispers" or regurgitation of media speculation?

Again, I'm surprised that the status of a former #1 pick, who is playing for a club outside of his home state, isn't already an ongoing discussion here, regardless of whether he's on the media's radar.

Rayner got quite a bit of scrutiny last year from both fans and some in the media. He was lucky to hold his spot for all games.

He’s still a moments player more than a full game contributor, but the moments can be big. Turned the game for us with 2 goals against the giants in the third quarter, was our best in our poor performance against Geelong, and was excellent in the second quarter against the pies. Also kicked 3 (should have been 4) in the qclash. As others have pointed out had a direct hand in 3 of our 10 goals last night.

I’ve been pretty happy with his year to be honest, we don’t need him to be a gun midfielder yet and maybe he never will be but he’s an x-factor up forward.

Recently was interviewed in the club podcast and indicated he is very keen to stay and will look at an extension at the end of the year so can’t see him moving anywhere.

I think other clubs will probably come harder for Bailey and Starcevich who also need to be extended.

Are we not allowed to discuss a player, and his potential prospects of staying or going, without some bulls**t "mail" or "inside word" or "whispers" or regurgitation of media speculation?

Again, I'm surprised that the status of a former #1 pick, who is playing for a club outside of his home state, isn't already an ongoing discussion here, regardless of whether he's on the media's radar.

You are a year late on Rayner compared to our board. Was a big whipping boy last year.

I don't get melbourne fans comparing him to Petracca. Patrecca looked like Gary Albert snr with his ability to tear games apart as a junior.

Rather is underwhelming but there is something there. Has a bit of campaigner in him. Stacked with talent and a point of difference in the forward line for brisbane.

I don't get melbourne fans comparing him to Petracca. Patrecca looked like Gary Albert snr with his ability to tear games apart as a junior.

Rather is underwhelming but there is something there. Has a bit of campaigner in him. Stacked with talent and a point of difference in the forward line for brisbane.
Rayner compared himself to Petracca in an interview straight after he was drafted.

You do know Rayner was pick one ?

As for others making the comparison...

AFL Draft Central:

''Along with his penetrating kick, he has the strength to fend off opponents and push forward in a similar way to Dustin Martin. However he is more suited to comparisons with Christian Petracca and Robbie Gray given his forward-leaning nature...''

Herald Sun 24/11/17

''And, depending who you talk to, he has been likened to established guns such as Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin, Christian Petracca and Robbie Gray.''

Foxsports 23/11/17

''A mix of some of the league’s dangerous and best forward-of-centre players, recruiters see elements of Christian Petracca, Robbie Gray and Tom Rockliff in the 187cm prospect.''

Cal Twomey AFL.COM.AU 24/10/17

''You've probably heard the Dustin Martin comparisons by now, and there are certainly some similarities in the way they pair plays. Rayner has the big legs and strong fend-off that gets him out of trouble. But Melbourne's Christian Petracca is probably a fairer comparison at this stage. There were some doubts on Petracca's aerobic capacity early days and he has started his career more as a half-forward, which seems likely for Rayner.''

Rayner compared himself to Petracca in an interview straight after he was drafted.

You do know Rayner was pick one ?

As for others making the comparison...

AFL Draft Central:

''Along with his penetrating kick, he has the strength to fend off opponents and push forward in a similar way to Dustin Martin. However he is more suited to comparisons with Christian Petracca and Robbie Gray given his forward-leaning nature...''

Herald Sun 24/11/17

''And, depending who you talk to, he has been likened to established guns such as Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin, Christian Petracca and Robbie Gray.''

Foxsports 23/11/17

''A mix of some of the league’s dangerous and best forward-of-centre players, recruiters see elements of Christian Petracca, Robbie Gray and Tom Rockliff in the 187cm prospect.''

Cal Twomey AFL.COM.AU 24/10/17

''You've probably heard the Dustin Martin comparisons by now, and there are certainly some similarities in the way they pair plays. Rayner has the big legs and strong fend-off that gets him out of trouble. But Melbourne's Christian Petracca is probably a fairer comparison at this stage. There were some doubts on Petracca's aerobic capacity early days and he has started his career more as a half-forward, which seems likely for Rayner.''
Valuable lesson, comparisons are dumb

He is very average. Would not go top 5 in a re draft

3 seasons in now and still can’t spend more than 5 minutes in the midfield

Don't think the plan was for him to ever become a full time midfielder. Conole said at the draft that he would become (ideally) a forward that can roll through the midfield.

I agree that he wouldn't go top 5 in a re-draft but he's not the only one, I'd still take him far ahead of Dow. At least it's worked out better than that guy Schache we took at pick 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back