Can’t justify a new thread - still want to post it though, (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it in 2022 that we needed to win a premiership in the next 2 years because our list was old and not a lot coming through.
So tick off the first part, great win in 2023. Honestly I can’t see it happening again this season. I’m seeing a fall this season not out of the 8 but a fall. Age and our lack of talented kids is going to bite us. Eyre Dean and Moore will be a good defence eventually but as usual there’s nothing up forward. Billy looks shot, Checkers great but his body must be in terrible shape. Reef is not a key forward as much as some want him to be. AJ is a 3rd tall at best. Who’s next in the VFL going forward?

We got our flag, it’s not going to be back 2 back or a dynasty. Now is the time to see if Finn, Reef, Allen, Ryan etc have it. What are we doing with Begg and Steene both are too small for AFL rucks and don’t seem to play anywhere else.

I’m not being negative just assessing the club as I see it. That’s how I’ve always done it, from being one of the first to call for Bucks to leave and being accused of not being a true supporter to saying Cox should be first ruck not a forward ruck.

We are on the way down the other side of the hill but let’s take out as many of the other smug clubs as possible, Blues in particular.

I said it in 2022 that we needed to win a premiership in the next 2 years because our list was old and not a lot coming through.
So tick off the first part, great win in 2023. Honestly I can’t see it happening again this season. I’m seeing a fall this season not out of the 8 but a fall. Age and our lack of talented kids is going to bite us. Eyre Dean and Moore will be a good defence eventually but as usual there’s nothing up forward. Billy looks shot, Checkers great but his body must be in terrible shape. Reef is not a key forward as much as some want him to be. AJ is a 3rd tall at best. Who’s next in the VFL going forward?

We got our flag, it’s not going to be back 2 back or a dynasty. Now is the time to see if Finn, Reef, Allen, Ryan etc have it. What are we doing with Begg and Steene both are too small for AFL rucks and don’t seem to play anywhere else.

I’m not being negative just assessing the club as I see it. That’s how I’ve always done it, from being one of the first to call for Bucks to leave and being accused of not being a true supporter to saying Cox should be first ruck not a forward ruck.

We are on the way down the other side of the hill but let’s take out as many of the other smug clubs as possible, Blues in particular.
I feel the same as you. If thw blues don't win it this year I'd be very happy with that outcome.

Not 100%, but definitely a factor.

The "knock" on Henry was always his second efforts and defensive pressure. Sound familiar?

The selectors gave AJ a lot more leash than Henry received in 22.

Henry was always a better option to invest time in because he consistently takes marks and kicks goals. He's 5 years younger too.
Can’t agree on Ollie - he’s 6cm smaller than AJ. He doesn’t have the size for a KPF.
AJ’s best is better than Ollie.

So at their best I’m taking AJ. He needs to get back to the form against Melb in RD 22? in 2022, where he was awesome.

I know AJ is testing our patience - but I remain hopeful.

Can’t agree on Ollie - he’s 6cm smaller than AJ. He doesn’t have the size for a KPF.

So at their best I’m taking AJ. He needs to get back to the form against Melb in RD 22? in 2022, where he was awesome.

Sorry, but Ollie's best is better than AJ's, and he has the consistency of games at a young age to prove it. AJ produces once in a while against weak opposition or when the rest of the team is so hot he can't help but benefit from its dominance. Ollie won't spend the year playing reserves, but I reckon AJ will. AJ is what he is, not what we want him to be. Our only other genuine hope for the position is doing what he does best - spending weeks on the sidelines injured.

Despite the 6cm difference, Ollie averages more goals, marks and I50 tackles than AJ.

His career highs of 5 goals and 9 marks are also superior to AJ's 4 goals and 6 marks.

Did I mention Ollie is 5 years younger? AJ turns 27 in June ......

Last edited:
Johnson's best is simply not better than Henry's, take the rose-tinted glasses off! Henry is a kid coming off a 40+ goal season. They have similar weaknesses, but Henry's application in leading and hitting packs is much better.

AJ dreams of having a season like Henry did at 21 years old.
Ollie is not growing 6cm to approach KPF size. That’s a fact.
I wouldn’t be making my comments if he was the same size as AJ.
AJ is more than capable of a 40 goal season, if he gets his head straight.
Ollie leaving and spitting the dummy after 2 seasons is not the psychological or resilience profile I want at my club.

Ollie is not growing 6cm to approach KPF size. That’s a fact.
I wouldn’t be making my comments if he was the same size as AJ.
AJ is more than capable of a 40 goal season, if he gets his head straight.
Ollie leaving and spitting the dummy after 2 seasons is not the psychological or resilience profile I want at my club.
None of which supports AJ having a higher peak than Henry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on the context and how it is said. I can envisage circumstances in which it could be deemed offensive.
Referencing someone's colour is either acceptable or it isn't. The colour of the person making the statement and the colour of the person to which the statement is directed should be irrelevant. Having said that, it's a sad world when referencing someone's colour is a crime worthy of a conviction. Poor form maybe, but a criminal offence!?

Johnson's best is simply not better than Henry's, take the rose-tinted glasses off! Henry is a kid coming off a 40+ goal season. They have similar weaknesses, but Henry's application in leading and hitting packs is much better.

AJ dreams of having a season like Henry did at 21 years old.
Some people have a hard time accepting that an opposition player is superior to what we have. Especially if it’s one of our former players.

Some people have a hard time accepting that an opposition player is superior to what we have. Especially if it’s one of our former players.
Not really given we are talking KPF.
AJ is a far bigger body - and size is important for such a position.
No way Henry can be spoken of as a McStay replacement.
If you want to talk about comparing them as HF’s, then that’s a different discussion.

Not really given we are talking KPF.
AJ is a far bigger body - and size is important for such a position.
No way Henry can be spoken of as a McStay replacement.
If you want to talk about comparing them as HF’s, then that’s a different discussion.
Henry would have done a better job as the third tall against GWS than Johnson did

Literally played the role swapping with AJ before we recruited McStay.
Couldn’t care less about AJ’s size if he doesn’t use it to his advantage, which he doesn’t, so it means nothing.
You’ve answered your own question.
If Ollie was the answer McStay would not have been recruited.
Size means everything as a KPF. Let’s not kid ourselves.
AJ can make it with his body, Ollie can’t.
Ollie will be played as a HF and wing, as Geel have shown.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back