Can we beat the Hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the game will depend on forward delivery as both sides have pretty lethal forward lines. So this will come down to the centre clearances, we gained some confidence last week but the Hawks have a good midfield with Bateman, Hodge, Mitchell, Crawford.

We will have to be on our game to beat them, but if we stand up in the midfield, I think we have the forwards to make an impression on the scoreboard.

I believe we will surprise the Hawks and be a few goals up at quarter time, that's my prediction. Then I expect a tight tussle and a 15 point victory - that's my optimistic pick :thumbsu::D:thumbsu:

According to the majority of commentators, after watching the Ess game on Friday, they now say that the Pies are THE 2nd best team in the comp, and the only team that can beat Geelong. So, really you dont go in as underdogs, well at least not according to them..
Let's hope it's just a great game of footy all round, and may the best team win!:)
Ask the bookiers, Hawks $1.40, Pies $2.70. Will be like last years game, very close.
In our favour: Love the G
Rocca
Brown
Heath Shaw
We finally have a ruck division
Against: Hawks are confident
Have a fwd line on fire
Midfield is reliable
This is even, despite the bookies, a lot has changed in both sides since last years game at The Dome. Really believe the G will suit and may be the difference. Especially if Fraser and Wood really get going, they may just be able to negate the advantage Hawks centres probably enjoy over our lot.

Of course collingwood can win, they are great at shutting down teams run and allowing the game to be played on their terms. I think the game should be a cracker. A lot of people think that if they can hold buddy they win and as a result they overlook the hawks biggest strength which is their midfield depth. You simply can't tag all of them, there is Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Crawford, Bateman and Young. Then players like Osborne and Rioli also roate throught that area as well. If you are win you will need to break even in that part of the ground. It will be interesting to see how you combat the zone and move the ball from defence, as this has been the areas that teams have stuggled against us.

I also wouldn't expect Medhurst to have the same impact as he will most likely be matched up by Campbell Brown who would be the best match up for him in the competition. Expect the underrated birchall to get Thomas, Ladson on Davis, Guerra on Didak, Gillam on Cloke and Croad on Rocca. If Didak plays more in the middle then Sewell or even Ladson might pick him up. Either way I think we match up well.

I expect the hawks to win if we play close to our potential as we have pretty much a full list available, but the pies are a chance.

How big do you guys think the crowd will be?
60,000?

Hawks are listed as $1.40 favourites going into the game. I think that's a bit skinny, but they are deserving favourites regardless.

The Hawks have massive preasure on them to beat us, just as Geelong did last year in the finals. We just have to show up and play OUR game and the result will come, the Hawks on the other hand will be watching the scoreboard worrying about what will be said if they loose.

We should and can win, a few T Shaw like mind games would help this week I feel.

Collingwood can definitely beat the Hawks.... I think Hawthorn have a slightly better Forward line but both are extremely potent, I think Collingwood have a better/bigger defence, and I think Hawthorn have too much depth in the midfield; so this game could go either way!

Im just praying that the rain holds out and we (60,000+ hopefully) get to see these 2 great sides go at it in perfect conditions for football. I want to see the likes of Buddy, Rioli, Thomas and Didak showing of their amazing skills instead of sliding around on a wet surface.

good luck Pies, may the best side win....God it's good to see the Victorian sides dominating again the way it should be :D

Hard to pin a match on one player for the pies but assuming everybody you'd expect is going to play the one man we NEED to be in....well the 2 guys.

1. Burns....2.Rocca

Rocca should play, if burns doesn't we are going to be hurt a lot. His clearances are sooo valuable.

The Hawks have massive preasure on them to beat us, just as Geelong did last year in the finals. We just have to show up and play OUR game and the result will come, the Hawks on the other hand will be watching the scoreboard worrying about what will be said if they loose.

We should and can win, a few T Shaw like mind games would help this week I feel.
I disagree i think the pressure is on you. Even if we lose we are 6-1 going into the break if you lose you will be 3-4 and still won't have beaten anyone of any note. I know which record i would rather have.

I disagree i think the pressure is on you. Even if we lose we are 6-1 going into the break if you lose you will be 3-4 and still won't have beaten anyone of any note. I know which record i would rather have.
Yep, no pressure. You keep telling yourself that. And then go and post excuses like this that show that the supporters are nervous. No pressure, no pressure.

Ask the bookiers, Hawks $1.40, Pies $2.70. Will be like last years game, very close.

That's ridiculous. If you can get $2.70, you should take it.

This game is much closer to a 50/50 than those odds suggest. Pies are coming off a training drill with an 8 day break against a side with a 5.5 day break that has travelled interstate 3 times already.

Given the even nature of the competition, that anomoly could easily see the Pies finishing right over the top of the Hawks.

Hawks are soft, mind games are fun. Heater and Racer have the yap yap genes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the risk of being too cocky after last week's winning prediction :p

I say we will win by a minimum of 40 points.

Bookmark it.

Bring it back up after the match.

And as always, thank me.

I strongly disagree.

I have a feeling that we're going to be comfortably beaten, but we'll play pretty well. It will be the first time this year that I'll walk away thinking we should've lost if that happens. IF Rocca plays AND fires, we are a massive chance. If he does play and does nothing, we will get smashed. If he doesn't play, we're a small chance. Their midfield will smash ours, and Franklin will kick about 7 IMO. Rioli will also carve us up.

On our side, Didak should have another big one, and I think Leon will too. We should be able to handle Roughead and Williams, but who knows. I also think we should really dominate in the ruck, and may have the edge in clearances (but not in the midfield in general play). Clokey should have a big one, but will play up the ground if Rocca is back.

I predict a 20 point win to the Hawks, which may flatter us a little. But I really, really hope we smash them. :)

Whatever pal. You lose this week and you might struggle to make the finals. Definately more pressure on you than us.

I think the Pies know this exactly and will react accordingly. The fact the Hawks are seemingly "cruising" could be a little chink in the "mental armour" we can exploit. Geelong so very nearly let overconfidence lose them a game last week.

It is fine to be confident in your teams ability but as they say "one swallow does not a summer make" or in Hawthorns case "one short run of success does not a tradition make". Nothing to say you can't lose the next 16 games and become the new "St Kilda" of the competition.
It will take a fair bit more success to earn the right to be arrogant and by then you won't need to be.

I think people might be confusing the "can't" with "didn't". We can beat carlton, but we didn't. We can beat Hawthorn and it remains to be seen whether we will or not.

I think people might be confusing the "can't" with "didn't". We can beat carlton, but we didn't. We can beat Hawthorn and it remains to be seen whether we will or not.

I have to say though that I think anyone with a moniker like Casper Wiggins is definitely a can't...:D:D:D

Typical opinion from a Hawks supporter this year. Isn't it incredible how they've crawled out of the woodwork and think they'll smash everyone each week, except Geelong. Expecting to be 21 and 1 at the end of the year are we mate?
You beat us by less than 3 goals at the Dome (a venue where we are shit) last year, and all you've got extra this year is Rioli, whilst you are minus Boyle who played well against us last year. We're ready to go and you better be ready for us because if your players have the same attitude you do we'll roll you over by a considerable margin.

Typical opinion from a Hawks supporter this year. Isn't it incredible how they've crawled out of the woodwork and think they'll smash everyone each week, except Geelong. Expecting to be 21 and 1 at the end of the year are we mate?
You beat us by less than 3 goals at the Dome (a venue where we are shit) last year, and all you've got extra this year is Rioli, whilst you are minus Boyle who played well against us last year. We're ready to go and you better be ready for us because if your players have the same attitude you do we'll roll you over by a considerable margin.

Not typical at all. Certain BF posters love to niggle. Look at the thread started by the Pies supporter stating that you'll kill us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back