Welcome to East Germany Carlton and Collingwood - who finishes higher in 2023? Collingwood Ofcourse

Who finishes higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty good assessment of what we've seen this year, and it displays that Fly's game is not necessarily personnel reliant. The weakness for the Pies has been contest / clearance game - they've relied on closing space after the fact, a strength against most sides including the blose.

The absence of Tay and Grundy has meant we've had to resort to using Degs for clearances, he did well in this area, particularly in finals but it's not his one wood. This is where the acquisition of Mitchell comes in, this allows our outside players to play outside game (hopefully)

Carlton have the beasts for both inside and outside game, very good at the contest with guys like Cripps, Kennedy, Cera etc.

Just need to sharpen their attack game on the ball win IMO.

If I could summarize, I'd say the Pies game is further ahead in trajectory and there's more upside to the blose. That's not to say that the Pies game is a finished product that won't improve - they've traded in to improve the plan. The result we don't know yet.

The blose just need to chip off the rough edges of their game, they've got the talent on the park already (with depth)
Mitchell will be a good inclusion for Collingwood - no doubt.

Carlton's starting 22 in 23 will have close to six finals quality players back in the side and hopefully staying on the park for the whole year.

I fully expect Carlton to blow quite a few teams off the park next year an my personal litmus test of true progress is a Carlton beating teams by 6+ goals.

That is it for me on this topic - I am now fully concentrating on finding my next motorbike.

Half of Collingwood's team will retire in the next couple of years. I don't think they're going to be making finals let alone the GF.
This is the major query for me when it comes to the Pies. If they don't win a flag in the next 2 or 3 years can they fill the holes left by the 9 or so 28+ year olds that they rely heavilly on at the moment (i.e. Howe, Elliot, Mihocek, Pendles, Sidebottom, WHE, Cox, Crisp, Mitchell). Pretty much all bar WHE and Cox would be in the Pies' top 12-15 or so players imo.

I should note if the Pies end up winning a peemiership in the next couple of years its a moot point. But to give the Pies the best chance of sustained success I would assume heavy investment in the recruitment of 24-27 year olds in the coming years will be key. Essentially allowing for a seamless transition of the Pies' current older players out of the team without disrupting performance significantly.

Last edited:
This is the major query for me when it comes to the Pies. If they don't win a flag in the next 2 or 3 years can they fill the holes left by the 10 or so 28+ year olds that they rely heavilly on at the moment (i.e. Howe, Elliot, Mihocek, Pendles, Sidebottom, WHE, Cox, Crisp, Mitchell). Pretty much all bar WHE and Cox would be in your top 12-15 or so players imo.

I should note if you end up winning a peemiership in the next couple of years its a moot point. But to give yourselves the best chance of sustained success I would assume heavy investment in the recruitment of 24-27 year olds in the coming years will be key. Essentially allowing for a seamless transition of your current older players out of the team without disrupting performance significantly.
Please stop referring to Collingwood as 'you' to me. It is honestly the most disgusting thing anyone has ever said to me.

Mitchell will be a good inclusion for Collingwood - no doubt.

Carlton's starting 22 in 23 will have close to six finals quality players back in the side and hopefully staying on the park for the whole year.

I fully expect Carlton to blow quite a few teams off the park next year an my personal litmus test of true progress is a Carlton beating teams by 6+ goals.

That is it for me on this topic - I am now fully concentrating on finding my next motorbike.
Yeah have to agree, when not if they sharpen their attack game, they'll be hard to beat.

This is the major query for me when it comes to the Pies. If they don't win a flag in the next 2 or 3 years can they fill the holes left by the 9 or so 28+ year olds that they rely heavilly on at the moment (i.e. Howe, Elliot, Mihocek, Pendles, Sidebottom, WHE, Cox, Crisp, Mitchell, ). Pretty much all bar WHE and Cox would be in the Pies' top 12-15 or so players imo.

I should note if the Pies end up winning a peemiership in the next couple of years its a moot point. But to give the Pies the best chance of sustained success I would assume heavy investment in the recruitment of 24-27 year olds in the coming years will be key. Essentially allowing for a seamless transition of the Pies' current older players out of the team without disrupting performance significantly.

This is our problem, our age demographic. Our sweet spot age 23-28 yo lacks depth - our window is very very narrow - 2 years at best and considering the competition around us, including the blose we're really up against it. :(

This is our problem, our age demographic. Our sweet spot age 23-28 yo lacks depth - our window is very very narrow - 2 years at best and considering the competition around us, including the blose we're really up against it. :(

You can address that area quickly, as you did with your trading this year. Although, continuity plays a big role

Like I said in my post the issue can be avoided with targeted recruitment of players in that agree group in the next 2-3 years.

You can address that area quickly, as you did with your trading this year. Although, continuity plays a big role
True, but certainly not an ideal position. We really put ourselves on the backfoot with our backloading of contracts that led to the firesale of 2020.

Yeah we could trade in but it all depends how full / empty the well is. We tried for Lynch / Cameron and that backfired, we've got McStay and with no disrespect he's not either of those.

Again, we're gonna be system reliant, but at the end of the day we're nowhere the talent level of the other contenders. All at the hands of the previous admin and FD.

And yeas continuity is yet another problem as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems Pendlebury sees the writing on the walls and is trying to not let how terrible Collingwood will be in the next couple of years taint his captaincy records.

9 seasons & 206 games as captain.. not half bad mate.. a great feat mate.. if Cripps managers to equal or surpass that effort.... I'll wear a fragrance of your choosing for a whole yr mate.

Best to go with Maynard imo. Moore can barely look after his own man, let alone 22 of his teammates on gameday 😉

The beauty of Moore.. always looking to outclass and outmaneuver his opponent and get involved in the action with Naics Maynard Crisp Quaynor etc. You might snag a few on him.. big deal.. he's not there just to sit on Haz and Charles and that's it.

The beauty of Moore.. always looking to outclass and outmaneuver his opponent and get involved in the action with Naics Maynard Crisp Quaynor etc. You might snag a few on him.. big deal.. he's not there just to sit on Haz and Charles and that's it.
I was just having a laugh but in all honestly think Maynard would make the better captain. Effort and intensity personified - exactly what makes a good captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back