News Carlton and Gold Coast to get special access to state league players

Remove this Banner Ad

so a state league player passed over previously is going to be worth a draft pick between 15-20 (I like McAdam and he has x factor..BUT he is untried at AFL level and no draft scribe has him anywhere near the top 15 in their lists as far as I can see). Maybe it might look like McAdam and Carltons 2019 1st for McGovern and pick 19...but in no way would it become a straight swap of the Mc's
lol Mcgovern must be an absolute gun match winner in your eyes ...as if he is worth half that

Ridiculous that Carlton get assistance. They already have a team full of first round picks, and Docherty coming back. They traded/pushed out senior players like Gibbs, Touhey and Henderson. Now all the hard work, time and money spent by recruiting staff of other clubs has gone to waste.

Fair enough for GC though, they have just become a feeder club.

Just be thankful he didn't play every match this year otherwise they'd have him going for pick 1. There will be some angry crow fans when they get a 2nd round pick for him.
Surely they play hardball Lever-style for McGovern until they get what they want for a player that's contracted for 2 years.

Last edited:
Ridiculous that Carlton get assistance. They already have a team full of first round picks, and Docherty coming back. They traded/pushed out senior players like Gibbs, Touhey and Henderson. Now all the hard work, time and money spent by recruiting staff of other clubs has gone to waste.

Why is it ridiculous? Because you don't like Carlton?

What would be ridiculous, is for the AFL to have decided to hand assistance to the team that finished 17th but not the team that finished bottom.

The ability to trade the state league players is the 'priority pick' in disguise.

As I've said in the McGovern thread the Blues will get first choice, will take Shane McAdam and trade him back to South Australia for a value equivalent of 15-20 and quite likely in the McGovern trade.

GC might get two choices and should be able to find 2 players of 2nd round value.

Been told almost exactly the same thing. McAdam + 2nd rounder for McGovern apparently.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-03/suns-set-to-nab-vfl-star-under-new-rule

GOLD Coast is set to announce the signing of VFL forward Josh Corbett as soon as Wednesday under special AFL dispensation rules afforded to the two bottom teams.

The 22-year-old was named the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medallist following a standout season, with the award presented to the most promising young talent in the VFL competition.​

Past winners of the award include Bayley Fritsch (2017), Luke Ryan (2016), Adam Marcon (2015), Nic Newman (2014) and Kane Lambert (2013).
Pretty good pedigree in that award

Why is it ridiculous? Because you don't like Carlton?

What would be ridiculous, is for the AFL to have decided to hand assistance to the team that finished 17th but not the team that finished bottom.

It’s ridiculous that this was brought in close to the end of the year.

State league scouts who worked tireless hours are going to get zero reward when the players they scouted are taken away before even being given a chance to select them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

State league scouts who worked tireless hours are going to get zero reward when the players they scouted are taken away before even being given a chance to select them

Or they can tell the club who to target from the state leagues, and then trade with Carlton or the Suns to gain access to these players.

I am sure that you had no problem when your side had priority access to state league players after your doping sanction were applied to your players, some of which you have retained since .....

Yes, but what about Scouts who work tirelessly on say a 1st round pick for their club ....and then that club trades that pick out

Seems to me there's no difference ?

But that happens every year, even with players that are drafted in the main draft.

talent scouts from each club have their eyes set on players that end up getting drafted elsewhere. happens all the time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, but what about Scouts who work tirelessly on say a 1st round pick for their club ....and then that club trades that pick out

Seems to me there's no difference ?

I think you’re missing my point. Why would a club now pay overs for a kid like Josh Corbett who would have been available at a later pick? He’d be available around the third round but GCS will hold out for a second.

More to my point, a club like Essendon could have been watching him all year but have had there access to him cut by half through the AFL making up rules on the run.

I think you’re missing my point. Why would a club now pay overs for a kid like Josh Corbett who would have been available at a later pick? He’d be available around the third round but GCS will hold out for a second.

More to my point, a club like Essendon could have been watching him all year but have had there access to him cut by half through the AFL making up rules on the run.
I have no doubt, the clubs won't change their player rankings, based on the fact Gold Coast or Carlton have taken them in the mature draft ....Gold Coast i gather will draft to hold, Carlton more likely to use as draft fodder ...so much for the AFL trying to assist Carlton short team

Carlton should get nothing....
We virtually did. Compare that to when Swans were s**t and made more finals in last two decades than any other club...

The priority draft picks were first introduced in the 1993 AFL Draft as a special assistance rule to aid teams that consistently perform poorly to obtain additional early draft selections.

Zone Selections

Brisbane Steven Lawrence
Sydney Stefan Carey
Sydney Damian Lang
Sydney Brad Seymour
Uncontracted Signings
Sydney Peter Caven
1993 national draft
Pick Player Recruited from Recruited by
1 (priority pick) Darren Gaspar South Fremantle Sydney
2 Nigel Lappin Chiltern Brisbane Bears
3 Justin Murphy Centrals Dragons Richmond
4 (priority pick) Glenn Gorman Geelong Falcons Sydney
5 Adam Heuskes Norwood Sydney
Priority pick 20 Sydney Wade Chapman
1994 pre-season draft
1 Priority pick Dermott Brereton Hawthorn Sydney Swans
6 Sydney Peter Filandia
21 Priority pick Sydney Derek Kickett Central District
22 Sydney Andrew Bomford North Shore (NSW)

1994 Zone Selections

# Club Player Games Goals Votes Honours
Brisbane Jason Akermanis
Fremantle Travis Edmonds
Fremantle John Hutton
Fremantle Todd Menegola
Fremantle Clinton Wolf
Sydney Leo Barry
Sydney Justin Crawford
Sydney Tim Scott

1994 national draft
# Club Player Original Club Age Height Weight Games Goals Votes Honours
Priority pick 1 Fremantle Jeff White
Priority pick 2 Sydney Anthony Rocca
Priority pick 3 Sydney Shannon Grant
1995 pre-season draft
Priority pick 1 Sydney Paul Roos

Sydney Swans played in 1996 grand final.

You do realise that the evidence you are utilising to support your position is from a time so long ago, that it was literally in a different millennium? You are talking about the prehistory of bigfooty.... did you have much trouble researching? i have heard that sifting through dusty papyrus scrolls by candle light, while running a abacus can be a challenging experience.

Carltons current situation is totally of Carltons own making. There are no mitigating circumstance. You guys have just failed to deliver. You have all the structural advantages of being a victorian club and strong membership base. You are not subject to the raiding, pillaging and start up issues that a club like the GCS have had to endure.

I agree with you that the Gold Coast were certainly entitled to help, amazing the difference in picks GWS were allocated coming in one year later in comparison to the Suns, they were set up to fail.

I think the best case of 'special assistance' in the case of Carlton would be something along the lines of the AFL ensuring Carlton had the right people both in the boardroom and the coaching department. That way it doesn't compromise the drafting of sixteen other clubs and would have more longevity then handing out draft picks.

No one is saying that mature agers are a guaranteed return....The compensation move on the AFL's behalf is merely an acknowledgement of their perceived increasing value by clubs, with the possibility for more flexibility so far as trading arrangements go.

This years crop looks fairly decent when you consider all of; Shane McAdam, Sam Collins, Mitch Grigg, Josh Corbett, Marlion Pickett, Matthew Parker, Thomas Jok, Jye Bolton, Callum Wilkie & Anthony Scott.....I can see at least 6 of those lads getting a gig.
What is this perceived increasing value by clubs? Isaac Smith and Lewis Jetta were both first round picks. AFL teams have been picking out state league players for years.

As someone who pays attention to the mature aged players, there are always players being talked up. I don't think this year is particularly extraordinary. Last year a number went in the 20's, which would have partially been because it was considered a weaker crop of U18 talent.

Or they can tell the club who to target from the state leagues, and then trade with Carlton or the Suns to gain access to these players.

I am sure that you had no problem when your side had priority access to state league players after your doping sanction were applied to your players, some of which you have retained since .....
Slightly different. Essendon was much more restricted in who they could access (and we couldn't access state league players), every club knew the situation early on so could watch them all year, and every club could make an offer to those players at the season's end. So if someone had rated a player, they could have made an offer and convinced that player too choose them, as they were treated as DFAs. Essendon had no priority over other clubs (although obviously some advantage as they'd been playing with us all year).

After all of that, the only two players who stayed were Dea and Kelly (for 1 year). Given the cost of Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge etc, I think its hard to argue we got more value than maybe the equivalent of a pick 50>80 for Kelly, I doubt anyone wanted Dea, and any club could have offered them contracts.

Whereas now the time spent watching these leagues will be a little bit wasted.

Yes, but what about Scouts who work tirelessly on say a 1st round pick for their
Slightly different. Essendon was much more restricted in who they could access (and we couldn't access state league players), every club knew the situation early on so could watch them all year, and every club could make an offer to those players at the season's end. So if someone had rated a player, they could have made an offer and convinced that player too choose them, as they were treated as DFAs. Essendon had no priority over other clubs (although obviously some advantage as they'd been playing with us all year).

After all of that, the only two players who stayed were Dea and Kelly (for 1 year). Given the cost of Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge etc, I think its hard to argue we got more value than maybe the equivalent of a pick 50>80 for Kelly, I doubt anyone wanted Dea, and any club could have offered them contracts.

Whereas now the time spent watching these leagues will be a little bit wasted.
Currently debating this very point on the D, T, FA board. The fact it was bought in so late means the countless hours spent on the five guys pre selected has been wasted throughout the year

Just from what i've seen today it looks like both GCS and Carlton are using their pre-selected state player picks as trade bait. Doesn't this go against the point of having these picks?

For instance a club like Adelaide who are dealing with Carlton on the McGovern pick tell Carlton to pre-selct a state player they want and on-trade them to themto fluff up the trade deal. Is this allowed? or even on-trading thei state pick in return for other picks?

Just from what i've seen today it looks like both GCS and Carlton are using their pre-selected state player picks as trade bait. Doesn't this go against the point of having these picks?

For instance a club like Adelaide who are dealing with Carlton on the McGovern pick tell Carlton to pre-selct a state player they want and on-trade them to themto fluff up the trade deal. Is this allowed? or even on-trading thei state pick in return for other picks?
Surely not how the AFL intended these picks to be used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back