List Mgmt. Carlton's 2018 Draft Thread (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair crack ...oh plz not another silvagni ..having one that can't play is bad enough ..rather hickmott if their dead set on bringing in a father and son

I don't understand your issue with Jack, he's a got good skills, a good decision maker and has a footy brain. I know he's not quick and need to work on his endurance and IMO if he can get his endurance right he'll end up being an inside mid in the mold of Sam Mitchell. His passion and hard work also makes me think he'll be a good footballer.

Ben IMO is the perfect tall to add to our list because of his flexible to play forward or back. If one of our tall fail to make it or gets traded than he can fill that spot.

The thing that alot of people don't get is the pressure on the silvagni boys and other father son of champions is so high because we expect from day one for them to be as good as there Dads best. SOS wasn't full back of the century in his first game he built in to it and grew as a footballer. From what I've seen from Jack and Ben is that they will not let down the Silvagni name. They will be Carlton champions.

Good cricketerer too.

Chuck in his 99 games for Port, rep games and he’s up near 500 senior games.

Could play alright.
Bradley I reckon is under rated by a lot of people in footy. Was a serious player.

Honestly Gill is full of s**t.

He craps on all year about how he wants to make it easier for bottom clubs to rise up the ladder.

Then all his actions/decisions do the complete opposite.

I feel like puking every time I hear him talk.
Its all just platitudes. Empty meaningless bubbles of speke.

Bradley I reckon is under rated by a lot of people in footy. Was a serious player.
anyone with any knowledge of what it takes to brutalize yourself through the pain barrier might think twice on calling him soft or a receiver

SOS was an immensely talented footballer. You could tell he had something special even as a teenager.
SOS had it....but didnt start out at fullback. Had to earn his stripes. I think Jack is also immensely talented. But its a new game now and it takes longer to rise to the top. In the old days a young bloke could become a star very quickly just by finding the footy on a Saturday. Today they have to be so much more than players. And lets be honest no matter what any of them do some will always find fault.

Try looking at it this way, the 12 players I listed, can you honestly make a strong case for them being a lock in 2020?
I tried that. I also tilted my head and squinted. Also tried sideways but phone just flipped to landscape mode...what are we looking for again?

I got distracted...oh, look, a shiny.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with this but if you look at our run it was pretty well the worst in the league. Easily the worst through first half of season and by then it was game over, a young list low on confidence.
We have rectified this by getting into club the expert on training and conditioning which by all reports, lacking in this area contributed to excessive injuries.
Next year is so much more promising and I think we will surprise many.
I wouldn't expect too much in Russell's first year, there will likely be a bump in fitness, but to be premiership ready it's going to take a few years.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time poster but I've been lurking around here for a long, long time. Anyway, have been reading all the talk about picks and their value - do we trade pick 1 and if so what is appropriate compensation.

Not an area that I have any expertise in but I thought I would do some analysis of how picks have fared in the past. Using data from draftguru I have graphed the median games played by each draft pick. I used median and not average as some outstanding successes will skew the results. Thought that the median being the 'centre' figure would provide a better indication of success. Results are very interesting, despite all the talk to the contrary, pick 1, overall is definitely the most successful in terms of average games played and the success in terms of games played rapidly falls away from there. Using a logarithmic trend line shows this very clearly.

I know that games played is not the be all and end all but is not a bad indication of a successful draft aquisition. See what you think of the result:

6q0a.jpg

SOS had it....but didnt start out at fullback. Had to earn his stripes. I think Jack is also immensely talented. But its a new game now and it takes longer to rise to the top. In the old days a young bloke could become a star very quickly just by finding the footy on a Saturday. Today they have to be so much more than players. And lets be honest no matter what any of them do some will always find fault.
people find fault with the most trivial things

you've actually got four periods in your ellipsis, b & b

First time poster but I've been lurking around here for a long, long time. Anyway, have been reading all the talk about picks and their value - do we trade pick 1 and if so what is appropriate compensation.

Not an area that I have any expertise in but I thought I would do some analysis of how picks have fared in the past. Using data from draftguru I have graphed the median games played by each draft pick. I used median and not average as some outstanding successes will skew the results. Thought that the median being the 'centre' figure would provide a better indication of success. Results are very interesting, despite all the talk to the contrary, pick 1, overall is definitely the most successful in terms of average games played and the success in terms of games played rapidly falls away from there. Using a logarithmic trend line shows this very clearly.

I know that games played is not the be all and end all but is not a bad indication of a successful draft aquisition. See what you think of the result:

6q0a.jpg

Exemplary work Geocoultard and welcome to the nuthouse :thumbsu:

6q0a.jpg
hell of a way to open your account, gc - not with a push through covers but a creaming smack over the long-on fence - great work :thumbsu:

Wow... sorry mate, but that's an abysmal post. :thumbsdown:

"Another Silvagni"? Seriously? I can only assume you're a youngster who never saw his dad play. I guess you can't help that.

Jack had a rising star nomination in 2017 saying he can play. If his 2018 season was underwhelming, he had plenty of mates in that department. It was a crap season for the club overall, so singling Jack out is really poor form.

A whole new season lies ahead. With the right support, Jack will be a fine player for us.
I fully agree with your post. Jack lacks pace but he has footy smarts. His first year was solid for a first year player especially in a s**t team. Yeah he had second year blues, pardon the pun.
They played him as a mid in the vfl and a bit in the afl as I see them using him as a roaming high half forward who can sneak deep and nab a goal or two a game.
With McKay, Curnow, McGovern and then Jack not getting us much attention - he will thrive.

Watching various highlights..its Jack that has the best pinpoint kicks into the forward line..he makes things happen..makes fantastic decisions and executes with precision...he spent a year in limbo really..all over the ground...broadening his scope and sphere of influence
really good take on his year :thumbsu:

6q0a.jpg
Big fan of the logarithmic trend line :thumbsu::D

Best first post i have seen in a while. Welcome aboard GeoCoulthard :thumbsu:

If there is to be a "dud" in the top 8, history numerology says it'll be pick 6. Pick 6s tend to average about half the games as the other top 8 picks.

View attachment 585431
https://www.draftguru.com.au

Just a strange anomaly of the draft. This where Allen Jackovich, Murray Vance, Damien Cupido, Ashley Sampi, Mitch Thorpe, and Beau Dowler have been selected.

SPS - where are you........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back