List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Or Maurice Rioli Jnr, Richmond have 3 spots open on there list my guess is they will use 17 & 36 in the draft and are planning on taking Rioli with there 1 remaining rookie spot, I think if we bid on Rioli at 31 which is very early they may not match whereas if we bid at 38 they would match as they have a lot of later picks. Just a theory

Yea fair point. I just assumed they would match anything but that may not be the case.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I thought I'd read somewhere that Ford had dropped in calculations. Don't recall why.

But then, you'd be more across this than I would.
Have heard similar rumours of him sliding, but I highly doubt would be into the 3rd round

See him in the 23-28 range
Endurance base is the concern, isn't it? Just like I was suggesting earlier this year when you brought up his name.

35-45 if it's below average for general/small forwards, 50+ if he was close to bringing up the rear in testing.

Given how excited we now are about players we can get with a pick in the 20s and 30s we were probably better off trading LOB for a second rounder

No, we're better off backing our kids and development programs in rather than throwing away a top 10 pick after a few years in the system.

Fans always get excited about prospects in the lead up to the draft, in no way does that mean they're better prospects than LOB.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
There's definitely going to be Vic players who slip through, but I'd be astounded if Ford got to our picks. Probably top 10 on talent, and teams are wary of another Robbie Gray situation unfolding.

If there's a player in this pool worth trading up for, based on our needs and potential upside, he is it.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
I just don't see a need for SPS in the backline any more, but we have a whole pre-season to find out what's likely to come about.

In an ideal world, I'd have Willo on one wing and SPS on another, with him rotating through a HFF giving someone like Gibbons (our very own 2 time JJ Liston Trophy winner) more time in the guts.

Even if both Willo and SPS play in the midfield, we'd still have Weiters, Jones, Plow, Marchbank, Kemp, Newman, Saad, Doc and Williams all capable defenders, so I don't think we really need Wehr. A KPD, small forward and maybe a 3rd would definitely be the way to go.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
How do you think our midfield will set-up next year?
Who do you see being the first use centre-square mids. 4-5 players?

Cripps - Setterfield - Williams - Walsh - ECurnow?

My 2021 fully fit midfield:

M - Willo, Cripps, SPS
Fol - Walsh, Williams
I/C - Setters, Curnow

(Gibbons to rotate with SPS through the wing/on-ball)

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Who said endurance is an issue?

Won't drift into the 3rd round
I was thinking in normal terms. This year, the second round might end after pick 40. Endurance has long been the concern for him, especially those looking to turn him into a midfielder.

This might be all academic though, as Geelong may target him before our pick... thanks Gold Coast.

According to Teague's presser this arvo, a KPD is our main target in the draft, followed by a small forward and possibly some talent through the midfield.

Wow...who would have guessed?

It may not pan out that way.......and somehow it seems just a little odd he'd divulge this info.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

It may not pan out that way.......and somehow it seems just a little odd he'd divulge this info.
He named a number of target positions, so it's not like he's revealing a certain player or type which we're into.

In terms of our needs being obvious yes, it is. However, not always what we can see from outside the 4 walls of the club, is what they have access to on the inside.

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Afl website Cals Phantom
CARLTON
Picks: 31, 38, 78, 101, 112, 120 (likely to use two selections)

Having landed Adam Saad in a busy Trade Period, the Blues won't start their draft night until the 30s. At that point they could look at South Australian mature-ager Jacob Wehr, with the Blues having an interest in the superb-kicking 22-year-old who featured in Woodville West Torrens' premiership this season. The club has also spent some time on Wehr's teammate James Rowe, a small forward who led the SANFL goalkicking this year. The Blues could place a bid on Swans Academy prospect Errol Gulden in the chance he gets that far, but won't be grabbing any of their available father-sons this season. Long-kicking midfielder Caleb Poulter would be a real contender if still on the board at 31.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner

At least his thinking was pretty much in line with most of us on here, which seems to be a constant theme under Teague whether this is a good thing or not is yet to be shown but it’s better than having a coach that is totally out of touch with reality and the thoughts of supporters, Malthouse.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
According to Teague's presser this arvo, a KPD is our main target in the draft, followed by a small forward and possibly some talent through the midfield.
Height wise there’s not much after Reid and Cox are gone with defenders most are only around the 193cm mark, now I’m well aware of defensive traits of body use, positioning and spoiling but I’m of the opinion that we need a modern size defender of around at least the 198cm plus size so I’m not too convinced we’re going to fill that position through the draft properly...

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Height wise there’s not much after Reid and Cox are gone with defenders most are only around the 193cm mark, now I’m well aware of defensive traits of body use, positioning and spoiling but I’m of the opinion that we need a modern size defender of around at least the 198cm plus size so I’m not too convinced we’re going to fill that position through the draft properly...
Draftees often keep growing though

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Afl website Cals Phantom
CARLTON
Picks: 31, 38, 78, 101, 112, 120 (likely to use two selections)

Having landed Adam Saad in a busy Trade Period, the Blues won't start their draft night until the 30s. At that point they could look at South Australian mature-ager Jacob Wehr, with the Blues having an interest in the superb-kicking 22-year-old who featured in Woodville West Torrens' premiership this season. The club has also spent some time on Wehr's teammate James Rowe, a small forward who led the SANFL goalkicking this year. The Blues could place a bid on Swans Academy prospect Errol Gulden in the chance he gets that far, but won't be grabbing any of their available father-sons this season. Long-kicking midfielder Caleb Poulter would be a real contender if still on the board at 31.
Gord! Why even have picks in the 30s if we are chasing rookie level prospects. :rolleyes:

Back