VFL Casey Demons VFL 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like he's so close to getting his opportunity
There’s probably not too much more Sestan can be expected to show.

Potentially more consistency but he’s going at 16 touches and 1.5 goals per game which is pretty good for a forward who plays a bit of mid.

He also needs an opportunity and there are several in the queue for a medium forward role.

Laurie had a big finish but he along with the rest of the team just couldn’t get enough cleanliness to finish chains of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunter - played on the wing and looks miles off it. Just trotting around and not doing what you’d expect a player of his experience to do at VFL level. Made too many errors as well.

Laurie - worked his way into the game predominantly as a mid. His disposal by foot and hand just seemed that little bit sloppy and off. He did find a lot of space particularly in the second half.

Jefferson - had some nice moments where he showed good ground level skills and agility given his height. Attacked the ball hard on a few occasions. Still would like to see more from him, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Adams - got beaten late a few times by a taller opponent, but was generally solid and looks capable at VFL level.

Verrall - shows good promise and is good on the ground for a ruck. Still has a lot of development left to be AFL ready IMO.

Sestan - a good game mostly as a forward but with several stints on ball too. Finished well, showed good forward craft.

Brown - a pretty good performance from him mostly as an on-baller. I still think he’s more likely to impact as a small forward at AFL level at this stage. He is fast and agile and there’s enough to work with there.

Moniz-Wakefield - got plenty of the ball often as the extra behind the ball. I just didn’t see enough hurt factor from his disposals though.

Hunter - played on the wing and looks miles off it. Just trotting around and not doing what you’d expect a player of his experience to do at VFL level. Made too many errors as well.

Laurie - worked his way into the game predominantly as a mid. His disposal by foot and hand just seemed that little bit sloppy and off. He did find a lot of space particularly in the second half.

Jefferson - had some nice moments where he showed good ground level skills and agility given his height. Attacked the ball hard on a few occasions. Still would like to see more from him, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Adams - got beaten late a few times by a taller opponent, but was generally solid and looks capable at VFL level.

Verrall - shows good promise and is good on the ground for a ruck. Still has a lot of development left to be AFL ready IMO.

Sestan - a good game mostly as a forward but with several stints on ball too. Finished well, showed good forward craft.

Brown - a pretty good performance from him mostly as an on-baller. I still think he’s more likely to impact as a small forward at AFL level at this stage. He is fast and agile and there’s enough to work with there.

Moniz-Wakefield - got plenty of the ball often as the extra behind the ball. I just didn’t see enough hurt factor from his disposals though.
Apart from Hunter not a lot of experience in this group . Throw in some VFL listed players who may or may not even play every weekend and no surprise Casey are struggling ,especially when the Seniors are interstate .

Apart from Hunter not a lot of experience in this group . Throw in some VFL listed players who may or may not even play every weekend and no surprise Casey are struggling ,especially when the Seniors are interstate .
I don’t even care about the result/scores in these games. It’s all about development for the seniors for me.

But I agree, the quality of the support players is poor and it’s probably getting to the point where it starts to hamper development.

How can your forwards develop effectively if their teammates keep making errors in transition and turning the ball over?

I don’t even care about the result/scores in these games. It’s all about development for the seniors for me.

But I agree, the quality of the support players is poor and it’s probably getting to the point where it starts to hamper development.

How can your forwards develop effectively if their teammates keep making errors in transition and turning the ball over?
Probably the best prep they can have for playing for the seniors to be honest.

There’s probably not too much more Sestan can be expected to show.

Potentially more consistency but he’s going at 16 touches and 1.5 goals per game which is pretty good for a forward who plays a bit of mid.

He also needs an opportunity and there are several in the queue for a medium forward role.
How is his defensive work?

Lampers Jefferson looking more competitive?
Yes.

Particularly in the first half Jefferson was leading hard at the ball and had some really impressive pick ups off the ground at speed.

In the second half he launched at the ball on the wing and hurt both himself and the Brisbane opponent.

Baby steps though, still a long way off it IMO but some positive glimpses.

How is his defensive work?
Hard to pick that stuff up with the one camera with relatively tight framing coverage.

I suspect it’s not a strength of Sestan’s though. I don’t recall seeing him applying a lot of pressure. He’s seeming like a Petracca-lite type of player. Offence first forward-mid.

Clearly he’s not anywhere near Petracca’s level.

I think the only way Jefferson will develop is if they stop sticking 3 other key forwards down there with him .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back