2nds Casey Scorps v Frankston Saturday 2pm Casey Fields

Remove this Banner Ad

And Jack Viney has finished for the day. Welcome to senior footy young man.

Has shown more than enough in that first half to get everyone excited. No reason to risk him this early in the year so the rest is a good move.

Also good to see Gysberts and Morton getting a few touches. There are spots for those two if they can take them.

Has shown more than enough in that first half to get everyone excited. No reason to risk him this early in the year so the rest is a good move.

Also good to see Gysberts and Morton getting a few touches. There are spots for those two if they can take them.

Let's be honest. He is exactly what we miss.

My only concern is the amount of pressure he'll be placed under from day one by supporters. But I think he has the maturity and the mental strength to handle it. Unlike many on our list, we know what we will get week in, week out from Viney. He'll just keep fighting and putting his nose over the footy.

Casey lead by 11pts 3/4 time. Possession winners sheahan 17, Morton, Lees 15, Gysberts 13, Collins 13.

Cale and Jordan putting their hand up for round one.

Casey win 10.12.72 d Frankston 7.11.53

Jack Fitzpatrick with a goal and a good tap out of the ruck to Gysberts was instrumental in the win.

James Strauss was off in the last and had his calf in an ice pack at the end of the game. Didn't look too bad.

Thanks to KC from Demonland for the updates.

Jai Sheahan 23 possessions and ten marks. Impressive youngster who uses the footy very well.

Impressed with Sheahan. Was surprised he missed out on being drafted but very happy we have nabbed him. He's another who will need time but good performances keep the pressure on others.

Gysberts and Morton look like two who could come in to the side in Round 1, and apparently there isn't much in Strauss going off, more of a precaution.

Disappointed Cook didn't play either. With Jurrah out for a while he is someone who could sneak in to the side if his form is good enough.

Another pretty average game to watch, Casey were lucky to survive in the end as they were down to 2 on the bench including one guy who who was struggling with a leg injury. To start the match for some reason we had 5 on the bench they had 6 ???

Melb guys

Strauss - He played 3 quarters & everything he did he did well, the coaches would be suitalby impressed.

Fitzpatrick - He really struggled to hold his marks today, but he moved really well around the ground getting to the many ruck contests & did some great tap work.

Lawrence - Did some really good things today, he does provide a lot of forward pressure & I can only presume that he didn't get a go in the NAB Cup stuff was because he spent so much time in the rehab group during the pre season & they didn't think he was ready. I wish he was on our main list as he could be well worth a shot at the big league early in the season, but I don't think he will be the one promoted from the rookie list just yet...

Cook - He didn't play.

Gysberts - Played a great game, I thought he did well last week but this week he was a standout, especially seeing as Casey were well down on numbers to do their rotations with. Definately will be promoted.

Sheahan - Another great game, He is really composed down back & uses the ball well. Last week I mentioned that I thought he was a smokey to get promoted, this week he enhanced his status & I am sure the senior coaches would have been impressed.

Morton - I read earlier in this thread that he will be promoted for the 1st round, well in my opinion, he still has the same problem, that is his awareness & disposal are below par. there were numerous times where he picked the wrong option or just simply missed an easy target. He played basicaly on his own either across half back or on the wing.

Viney - Well, for a kid playing against the open ages for the 1st time it was amazing to watch. His toughness & willingness to get to as many contests as he could was a joy to watch. His disposal was very good & tackle pressure excellent. the only thing he will have to watch is trying to do too much with the ball. He played only the 1st half... Everything that had been said about this kid is true, he is just made to play footy...

A couple of side notes, Tynan's younger brother played for Casey today & went ok too.

The important thing for all you Fantasy football coaches looking for a rookie promotion on to our list, well seeing Nicholson wearing a moon boot watching the game may have you worried. He said that it is only as a precaution & will be coming off on wednesday but who knows...

Grimes was there today & said that he will be playing at Casey next week...

Another good day of getting my footy fix...

Great write-up from our Casey correspondent, Demon Revival. Cheers mate!

What are your thoughts on promoting Sheahan for round one, which in turn could release Garland to a wing???

Did Gysberts really hurt the opposition today or did he more accumulate possessions? He will be a straight swap for Sylvia next week you would think.

Rohan Bail didn't play today. Any word on him? If fit, he needs to come into our onball rotation.

Thanks again DR!

Great write-up from our Casey correspondent, Demon Revival. Cheers mate!

What are your thoughts on promoting Sheahan for round one, which in turn could release Garland to a wing???

Did Gysberts really hurt the opposition today or did he more accumulate possessions? He will be a straight swap for Sylvia next week you would think.

Rohan Bail didn't play today. Any word on him? If fit, he needs to come into our onball rotation.

Thanks again DR!

Thanks Spirit, I think Sheahan will get promoted & Garland will move to the forward line, to give it a bit of desperation...

Gysberts did it all today, was in & under with the ball & either giving it out or holding it in for a ball up. As well he made position to receive the ball & used it really well, he is kicked a really good goal...

Didn't see Bail today at the ground & wasn't sure if he played last night or not.

Just on that, did Tom McDonald play last night???

Impressed with Sheahan. Was surprised he missed out on being drafted but very happy we have nabbed him. He's another who will need time but good performances keep the pressure on others.

Gysberts and Morton look like two who could come in to the side in Round 1, and apparently there isn't much in Strauss going off, more of a precaution.

Disappointed Cook didn't play either. With Jurrah out for a while he is someone who could sneak in to the side if his form is good enough.

Yeah, Strauss was definitely a precaution. He mentioned recently that he still has to ice his shins after every game.

He played a half last week, 3/4's this week... here's to a full game next week!!

Gysbert is underrated. Really does more than people realise. Will be an important part of our side.

Really would love to see Watts played on a wing. I know he was recruited as a forward but i think he'd is better suited to a midfield role.

We need to also recruit another big body forward to play CHF.

I was also there and disagree about Gysberts. He's one of my favourite players, so it's fair to say that I really rate him, but on yesterday's effort he's a fair way away.

His legs have built up nicely, but he still needs beef through the chest and arms. He predominantly played as an inside mid and didn't get the overlap touches one would expect. His endurance isn't up to scratch for an AFL midfielder. By the third quarter he was blowing up considerably. He started slowly in the first before working his way into the game. Note: by 3/4 time he'd had 13 possessions against a young Frankston team despite playing most minutes. That's hardly a dominant display.

As I said, I really like Gysberts and made a note to watch him closely. My thoughts are clearly ad odds with the other poster that said he'd be promoted on that effort. Although, he did do some good things.

It says earlier that Frankston would finish on the bottom and that you were going to thrash them.
If Frankston were to finish on the bottom then that makes you blokes about second bottom.
Pretty poor effort really especially after half time when the dolphins outplayed you and to me it really looked like a major fitness issue.
Same thing occurred in the magoos.
Either you blokes overestimate yourselves or just have no footy nous at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was also there and disagree about Gysberts. He's one of my favourite players, so it's fair to say that I really rate him, but on yesterday's effort he's a fair way away.

His legs have built up nicely, but he still needs beef through the chest and arms. He predominantly played as an inside mid and didn't get the overlap touches one would expect. His endurance isn't up to scratch for an AFL midfielder. By the third quarter he was blowing up considerably. He started slowly in the first before working his way into the game. Note: by 3/4 time he'd had 13 possessions against a young Frankston team despite playing most minutes. That's hardly a dominant display.

As I said, I really like Gysberts and made a note to watch him closely. My thoughts are clearly ad odds with the other poster that said he'd be promoted on that effort. Although, he did do some good things.

Good summary mate. Sounds like he can get his hands on the footy but still hasn't got the tank to not only run out games but to make second and third efforts as well.

Am I right in saying he was injured over Xmas? Could use a full pre-season to get the tank up to scratch.

It says earlier that Frankston would finish on the bottom and that you were going to thrash them.
If Frankston were to finish on the bottom then that makes you blokes about second bottom.
Pretty poor effort really especially after half time when the dolphins outplayed you and to me it really looked like a major fitness issue.

Oh cheers for that, I'm sure the board as a whole can't wait to check this out as it's exactly what we've been waiting for.

:rolleyes:

The Scorps also rolled last year's Premiers, does that effect your assessment? FCS they're praccies bud.

The Scorps also rolled last year's Premiers, does that effect your assessment? FCS they're praccies bud.
Yep, for a wise guy you'd think he'd have more footy nous.

s**t, I'm sorry I didn't notice that Frankston were a champion VFL side and have won more than about five matches in the last five years.

Thanks for your input - you've enlightened us all.

Please keep posting around here to keep us up to speed.

Gysbert is underrated. Really does more than people realise. Will be an important part of our side.

Really would love to see Watts played on a wing. I know he was recruited as a forward but i think he'd is better suited to a midfield role.

We need to also recruit another big body forward to play CHF.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Sellar @ CHF quite a bit during the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back