worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
In Event Horizon Sam Neill speaks with his natural accent and plays an Australian doctor/astronaut. On the left shoulder of his uniform you can see an Australian flag with the Aboriginal flag occupying the place of the Union Jack. I'm not sure when pushes to change the Australian flag first became popular but this film is from 1997 and you would think Neill had a say in that particular flag design being part of his character's uniform.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RolandF1

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In Event Horizon Sam Neill speaks with his natural accent and plays an Australian doctor/astronaut. On the left shoulder of his uniform you can see an Australian flag with the Aboriginal flag occupying the place of the Union Jack. I'm not sure when pushes to change the Australian flag first became popular but this film is from 1997 and you would think Neill had a say in that particular flag design being part of his character's uniform.
It's probably to do with the real possibility of Australia becoming a republic sometime in the future and around the time holding a referendum, which happened in 99. I do recall the Aboriginal flag and the Southern cross merge being a widely proposed new flag design at the time.

It certainly didn't go unnoticed when I saw the film in the cinema.

troybe

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 19, 2008
At Glamorama
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
In Inside Man a hostage/suspect is being interrogated by the detectives. He’s asked where he’s from and says Armenia. Well not really he was from Brooklyn but his parents are Armenian. He then says he’s never been to Armenia, Albania or even Australia.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Top Bottom