• VA,

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Christian boy,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Squarehead

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the wallaby now knows the trap is there, and would be avoiding the location - so no point. Plus, he was demoralised at having his hopes raised and dashed so comprehensively.

Happens quite often in the US versions too. Once they settle into a rhythm, there's not a lot to show. Mike & Gina lasted more than twice as long as the other contestants, and the show would get really boring if it was only them for the last 4 episodes.

Maybe a different one would have come along either way, he had nothing better to do. He might have caught a bit of luck like Gina did.

Why enzed WHY.?

Head of unscripted programs at SBS, Joseph Maxwell told The Guardian the new setting ‘enabled whole new strategies’ that weren’t seen in season 1 of the show. Tasmania had strict hunting regulations that restricted what the contestants could do to enable their survival.

‘By choosing New Zealand we’re able to introduce bows and arrows, which brings in whole new strategies and skills sets,’ Joseph says.

Hopefully not 3 people pulling out day 1.
Bow n arrows I'm not sure about as there is plenty of ways to hunt without them.
Indigenous people killed without bows.
We saw how effective nets were... not!

The only major kill of the entire series happened when she literally fell over the animal, when she went out to go to the toilet. It wasn't some great hunting kill.

We saw how effective nets were... not!

The only major kill of the entire series happened when she literally fell over the animal, when she went out to go to the toilet. It wasn't some great hunting kill.
Koori eel farms are found in western Victoria that are 15,000 years old.
I still think the wallaby in S1 was a set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They want to film Alone in the winter months, when conditions are at their most challenging. All of the US seasons were set at the start of winter, in cold environments, and Alone Australia is no different.

However, the area where they filmed in Tasmania simply doesn't have much in the way of resources during winter - even the aboriginals used to bail out during winter, heading to more plentiful areas. Compounding matters, local hunting regulations mean that the only way they could hunt larger game (i.e. wallabies) was using drop nets, which proved extremely unsuccessful - both in the time/energy resources used in creating & setting them, and the fact that they produced SFA as a result.

Filming in NZ will allow participants to be more proactive with their food supplies, given that bow & arrow hunting is permitted. They won't be limited to fishing for days on end. They may not have wallabies to hunt, but I'm sure they'll find other animals in the NZ wilderness.

They want to film Alone in the winter months, when conditions are at their most challenging. All of the US seasons were set at the start of winter, in cold environments, and Alone Australia is no different.

However, the area where they filmed in Tasmania simply doesn't have much in the way of resources during winter - even the aboriginals used to bail out during winter, heading to more plentiful areas. Compounding matters, local hunting regulations mean that the only way they could hunt larger game (i.e. wallabies) was using drop nets, which proved extremely unsuccessful - both in the time/energy resources used in creating & setting them, and the fact that they produced SFA as a result.

Filming in NZ will allow participants to be more proactive with their food supplies, given that bow & arrow hunting is permitted. They won't be limited to fishing for days on end. They may not have wallabies to hunt, but I'm sure they'll find other animals in the NZ wilderness.
Ahahahah.
Feral pigs and feral deer.
Last years contestants wouldn't have got within cooee of either.

Ahahahah.

I'd hope they've learned some lessons, casting for diversity is all well and good, but people need to fundamentally have the skillsets to survive first and foremost.

Ahahahah.
Not just big game. You often see participants in the US version shooting smaller animals, such as squirrels and grouse (birds).

I'm not sure we've ever seen a season with multiple large animal kills - but we've seen plenty of small animal kills, and this is what I would expect to see more of in NZ.

Not just big game. You often see participants in the US version shooting smaller animals, such as squirrels and grouse (birds).

I'm not sure we've ever seen a season with multiple large animal kills - but we've seen plenty of small animal kills, and this is what I would expect to see more of in NZ.
Yep

Season 2 starts at 7:30pm next Wednesday.

Apparently they're not allowed to hunt native NZ animals with their bow & arrows. Feral animals, most notably possums & deer, are legitimate targets.
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/t...-alone-australia-is-back-20240318-p5fd9e.html

Not sure if there's a complete ban on killing native NZ animals, or if they just can't be hunted using the bow & arrow (i.e. trapping may be OK).

A lot of older and mostly male contestants this time.

I wonder if the demographics of the applicants were much different this time or the eligibility criteria?
There also appears to be fewer indigenous contestants this time around, at least based on the skin colour visible in the photos.

Looks like they've learned a few casting lessons from S1 - being indigenous doesn't automatically mean that you're competent in the bush. The S1 winner was indigenous, but almost all of the other indigenous contestants were eliminated inside 48 hours. What matters most is survival skills, and Gina had those in spades - she won because of her exceptional survival skills, not because of her skin colour. Maybe, just maybe, they've altered their selection criteria to weight survival skills a bit higher than diversity this time around - and that can only be a good thing.

There also appears to be fewer indigenous contestants this time around, at least based on the skin colour visible in the photos.

Looks like they've learned a few casting lessons from S1 - being indigenous doesn't automatically mean that you're competent in the bush. The S1 winner was indigenous, but almost all of the other indigenous contestants were eliminated inside 48 hours. What matters most is survival skills, and Gina had those in spades - she won because of her exceptional survival skills, not because of her skin colour. Maybe, just maybe, they've altered their selection criteria to weight survival skills a bit higher than diversity this time around - and that can only be a good thing.

There's a few Indigenous people I know who live in the desert regions of WA who'd have a damn good chance of winning, but those people don't speak great English nor would really have any desire to go on the show.

Interestingly, there's a few I work with in the metro who tried to apply and I'd say their survival skills are no greater than most others, except that they're decent at camping/fishing/hunting... Whereas long-term survival is a completely different

Back