Review Cats down Doggies by 4 points to go 4-0

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure what you mean. He gave up on the contest and just allowed Naughton to mark uncontested. He must provide a physical presence in that situation. Even giving away a free is better than what he did as it would slow the play down.
I think you are looking for reasons to critique SDK.

If you look at it objectively it was a contest whereby his opponent had a lot of space to work into and the kick was placed to his advantage. SDK tried to make a contest but was half a step behind, because, as I have already said, the kick was perfectly placed for Naughton be in best position to win the ball. If he gave away a free kick/been excessively physical it likely would have been a mark plus 50m in which case you would be crucifying him for being stupid.

We all have our whipping boys that we struggle to assess objectively. SDK is clearly yours.

Games last night remind me why we are so lucky to have Scott as our coach.

The last qtr was probably the greatest example of why our team has been successful over such a long period. We were clearly gassed after a quick turnaround and our team knew EXACTLY what they needed to do to control the game. Everyone in the team knew how we were trying to play where they needed to go and the decision they needed to make. Even the new players to the team were in sync with what we were trying to do. It smacked of a team that is immaculately prepared. And that is the sign of an exceptionally well coached team.

No wonder dogs fans look on in envy. It was almost like a slap in the face of showing what they could be if they had a competent coaching set up.

Damn good win that, particularly because -

• aside from Cameron, was Ollie D, Miers, Bruhn did the gut running. So poised in traffic.
  • Stengle also good involvement linking up and dangerous near goal. Confidence back since R1.
  • Ollie H - great second avenue to goal. Spreading well and bringing pressure
  • Stanley really lifted. Might benefit from rotation with Conway.
  • Good transition from defence, particularly Duncan.

Overall good team effort.

Only concerns -

• still some forward deliveries to packs, enabling interceptions
  • Last couple of games there have been instances of defenders (surprisingly including Tommy S!) letting their opponent come in for third man up marks, when definitely had time to follow for the spoil. 3-4 Doggies goals from those. Rare to see that in 2022 or even last year.
  • Tuohy really struggled. Was hobbling after the siren but hard to see how can be best 22 on form thus far. Hard to argue that it’s not his last season.
  • Better umpiring but boy a terrible last 5 mins. Ignored huge push out for that last Doggies goal. Wouldn’t want that in a GF.

Last edited:

If you look at it objectively it was a contest whereby his opponent had a lot of space to work into and the kick was placed to his advantage. SDK tried to make a contest but was half a step behind, because, as I have already said, the kick was perfectly placed for Naughton be in best position to win the ball. If he gave away a free kick/been excessively physical it likely would have been a mark plus 50m in which case you would be crucifying him for being stupid.

We all have our whipping boys that we struggle to assess objectively. SDK is clearly yours.

I think SDK has put in some pretty lame contests at times this season but can't criticise him for that last night. I think I may be more confident with Kolo ball in hand though and that is a bit scary. Did we just overlook the odd dodgy disposal because he was a young player or has that suddenly proliferated from nowhere.

I agree id bring mannagh in for tuohy this week and id bring mullin in for someone-hes not best 22 yet but these are the games we can give him education in without risking the role.
Also they clearly rate clark and think hes best 22 but given his injuries last year after 4 games might be the ideal time to preventatively rest him this week.
I agree that id rest hawkins too.
Just a matter of whether you want to bring neale in or play both of conway and stanley instead.
Be interesting to see if we experiment with atkins hbf again-parfitt probably deserves another MF game but i think you would have to play atkims back to accomodate it.
Mullin is a good shout. You can bring him in and tell him to tag an oppo small forward or resting mid. He should get it in space a few times.

I think SDK has put in some pretty lame contests at times this season but can't criticise him for that last night. I think I may be more confident with Kolo ball in hand though and that is a bit scary. Did we just overlook the odd dodgy disposal because he was a young player or has that suddenly proliferated from nowhere.

In 2022 our midfield was so dominant that when we did concede an inside-50 and SDK won the contest, he'd have acres of space to work in and Stewart or MOC or Kolo or someone like that would peel off to give him an easy dish off. Now we're conceding a few more tricky inside 50s and when SDK wins the contest he's immediately swarmed by a bunch of pesky little forwards and has to rush his disposal.

He's such a weird player, he'll lower his colours against random nobodies and then go out and beat Tim English or Brodie Grundy or some other gun.
As Conway said - Stanley is a different type of ruck who he struggles against in some situations (boundary throwins for example).

So I think Stanley is a headache for a certain type of ruckman. Plus, Stanley is finally getting good competition from a traditional type of ruck in Conway.

Although on merit Clark probably should go out of the team, having thought about it again I feel like we should keep him in against North next week just to pump another AFL game into him, as he's probably going to be out of the AFL side for multiple weeks after that assuming everyone in the midfield stays fit. He's the first person out of the side once Danger comes back.

I think you will be surprised that he will stay in longer than people think.

Gets even more complicated when Paddy is available which could be as early as this week.

I wouldnt be risking paddy in a game we dont need him in-especially with his injury history the last 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PFD as tacsub maybe? I don't mind the idea of him semi-coaching from the interchange bench, then rushing on at 3/4 time with fresh legs and the sting out of the game.

Imagine if we win a second flag in three years and a total of five since 2007.
I did have a good laugh at seeing the team singing in the Port change room with their pathetic “we exist to win premierships “ on the wall

I think I laughed 119 times

I don't need to look for a reason, it was a pitiful effort and I've called it such. Watch the replay and look at his body language; HE was disappointed in himself; why shouldn't we be?

He's far from my whipping boy. There is room to criticise players legitimately when they fall short. It's not the end of the world!

Were you the guy/girl confidently shutting people down a few days ago when they said O'Connor might be the sub?
Yes I was wrong. 😃 But I admit when I am wrong. My theory was that Scott is a big fan of O'Connor. I think O'Connor is going through an ordinary patch but he is a very versatile player and we need him up and firing.

Parfitt’s good form is adding tot he selection squeeze and reshuffling.

Atkins looked like he was moved back at times. The issue is that he can be too slow for that position and also keeping Mullin out of team.

I hope we keep playing Parfitt while he is in form.

We could rest Hawkins and Blitz. Play Neale and Conway to cover forward/ruck work. Resting Blitz gives Atkins more time in the middle.

Give Clark a week break and allow Mannagh to have another crack.

Or do we look at resting a small forward to give Mannagh a full game eg Miers, Close, or Stengle

Just whisper it, but… is the new-found excellence of Bruhn and Parfitt in tight threatening to play Atkins out of the best 22 when Guthrie and Danger return?
I think he’ll return to the back pocket if he’s squeezed from the midfield. I seem to remember he was leading the competition for defensive 50 ground balls before he was moved.

I don't need to look for a reason, it was a pitiful effort and I've called it such. Watch the replay and look at his body language; HE was disappointed in himself; why shouldn't we be?

He's far from my whipping boy. There is room to criticise players legitimately when they fall short. It's not the end of the world!
SDK is very tall, it takes a long time for the motor nerves to pass the message from his brain to his legs. Look at Max Gawn, he doesn't exactly move like. gazelle and has an awkward kicking technique, but with height comes advantage.

SDK is very tall, it takes a long time for the motor nerves to pass the message from his brain to his legs. Look at Max Gawn, he doesn't exactly move like. gazelle and has an awkward kicking technique, but with height comes advantage.
Could the headband be restricting blood flow??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back