Review Cats down Doggies by 4 points to go 4-0

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuohy is just about done. No longer in our best 22 with everyone fit. The pace of the game has now gone past him. I’d hope that his position would be used to invest in a younger player. Mannagh should have played last night in his place imo.
In an ideal world mannagh would have at least been the sub last night instead of O’Connor. He would have been very handy to bring on with his pace when we were running on fumes.

I can understand why they didn’t want him to be sub again, so this is not a criticism. I hope he was getting flogged on the track this week (and weekend) given we didn’t have a VFL game. Needs to build his tank and will be very handy.

It could have been a let down after all the nervous energy around his 350th. However he was not competing last night. He was dropping his head, he was frustrated and he was giving up on contests when he still had a chance to influence them. It was so frustrating to watch. Ok to say Hawkins has plenty of runs on the board but last night he did not add to his run tally.

You misspelt fatigued

There was pretty clear signs multiple times throughout the match that Hawkins wasn't necessarily 100% last night, and even when willing himself to marking contests & ruck contests, that he just wasn't able to influence them in the manner he wanted to

I think you meant leeway or "cut him some slack". However "leave" might be the answer. He has earned a rest and Shannon Neale is waiting in the wings. Tomahawk should be managed, perhaps play 2 out of every 3 games. If Neale takes to his role then he can be given even more games.
Yes that's what I ment ( bloody auto correction)
I said last week, Hawkins will be rested against North... And we all be hoping Neale will get a crack

Tuohy is just about done. No longer in our best 22 with everyone fit. The pace of the game has now gone past him. I’d hope that his position would be used to invest in a younger player. Mannagh should have played last night in his place imo.

Im pretty sure mannagh will over the next few weeks.
At many sides zac would still be best 22 but i think our depth will squeeze him and rohan out (as i said in pre season plus bews). No shame in that.

Im pretty sure mannagh will over the next few weeks.
At many sides zac would still be best 22 but i think our depth will squeeze him and rohan out (as i said in pre season plus bews). No shame in that.

Mannagh needs to play a full game this week. I imagine we will probably give Hawkins a rest. Not sure who else might - Stewart looked a bit sore at times during the game so they may consider giving him the week off too. Good opportunity to give Neale a go.

Tuohy is just about done. No longer in our best 22 with everyone fit
I'm not sure about that. He's still a handy player, just not the same player that he used to be.

Don't underestimate, in the modern game with eleventy billion interchanges, the value of positional flexibility for a bottom-six player.

I'm not sure about that. He's still a handy player, just not the same player that he used to be.

Don't underestimate, in the modern game with eleventy billion interchanges, the value of positional flexibility for a bottom-six player.

He’ll continue to get games throughout the year as we have injuries and rest players. But he’s not B22 now. Handy player to have as depth.

Funny sort of game from him. He completely pantsed Naughton yet is making some absolutely howling errors when in possession under little pressure. A little too laconic perhaps at times? Still, he’s 100% better than last year.
Yes overall he’s playing better but still having those moments where he needs to smash in, even if he gives away a free, rather than giving up the contest without any physical presence.

View attachment 1952314
Dal: “You have the reputation of being the best kick Inside Forward 50”
Gryan: ‘Shakes his head’
Dal: “Who do you love kicking the ball to?”
Gryan: “Coincidentally, everyone says Jezza + Hawk. I think I actually kick it to Ollie Henry the most.”
Dal: “Why?”
Gryan: “He’s actually the most athletic one down there.”
😹 😹 😹
That's gold :grinv1:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes overall he’s playing better but still having those moments where he needs to smash in, even if he gives away a free, rather than giving up the contest without any physical presence.
I think you understate his physical presence. The guy killed Naughton in the air last night.

Free kicks inside defensive fifty absolutely kill a team, especially in this era of low free kick counts.

WTF?

Naughton does that to every defender in the league 1v1 on the wing.

That is a bizarre comment if you are serious. if you are going to crucify him for that then you are just looking for things to criticise him for.
I’m not sure what you mean. He gave up on the contest and just allowed Naughton to mark uncontested. He must provide a physical presence in that situation. Even giving away a free is better than what he did as it would slow the play down.

I think you understate his physical presence. The guy killed Naughton in the air last night.

Free kicks inside defensive fifty absolutely kill a team, especially in this era of low free kick counts.
It was on the wing.

I think you meant leeway or "cut him some slack". However "leave" might be the answer. He has earned a rest and Shannon Neale is waiting in the wings. Tomahawk should be managed, perhaps play 2 out of every 3 games. If Neale takes to his role then he can be given even more games.
Agree Hawkins should be rested this week but we can put that one down to coming down from 350 and short break

Otherwise he's one that actually thrives playing consistently
Maybe a couple of rests when travelling along with the byes should do him

You didn't mention a specific contest? You just said "those moments where he needs to smash in, even if he gives away a free, rather than giving up the contest without any physical presence"
Follow the conversation and you’ll see where the comment originated was in relation to a specific contest.

I commented early on that he had regressed and whilst he's better than last year, I think his form is still below 2022, and by some.

He looks timid or disinterested to me at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back