Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Non of Geelong's current mids would get a game for Carlton, GWS, Melbourne or the Bulldogs. We have to make do until Bruhn and Clark get more experience and a couple in the VFL step up.
And yet, we beat Carlton and the bulldogs and just lost to Melbourne.

There is more than one win to skin a cat (no pun intended)

Pretty piiss poor performance by Geel on a number of fronts last night

A small fortune of tax payers money spent on that ground , alot of supporters/members , blah blah blah , we need a 40k stadium

Officicial crowd last night 29942 , very ordinary against a team who have been in the top 4/6/8 for basically the last 10 years

Be interesting , the bottom line what the club netted last night and also the bottom line at the home MCG game against Carlton 87k in attendance

A small fortune of tax payers money spent on that ground , alot of supporters/members , blah blah blah , we need a 40k stadium

Officicial crowd last night 29942 , very ordinary against a team who have been in the top 4/6/8 for basically the last 10 years

Be interesting , the bottom line what the club netted last night and also the bottom line at the home MCG game against Carlton 87k in attendance
The modern reality with games live on TV is when the weather is poor we will not pack the place out.

One of the most inexplicable decisions in the last decade is Goldy staying at NM when Geelong came hard at the end of 2019.
Geelong had just finished top of the ladder, lost a prelim, and had Selwood, Danger, Ablett and Hawkins on the list.
Offered Goldy 4 years, which would have been the 2020 and 2022 seasons. Could have had 1-2 premiership medals.
Instead, he took 3 years from NM for more money to remain a “one club player”.
NM proceeded to finish 17th, 18th, 18th, 17th before he left for Essendon in free agency and won’t finish as a one club player.
Absolutely insane sacrifice to avoid the 2hr drive down the highway.

It's actually not that inexplicable when you break down why Goldstein made the decision he did

If it was purely a football decision, he most likely finishes his career in the Hoops

Instead, it was one made for his kids - he separated from his wife in 2016, they had 3 kids together and he wanted to stay close to his kids. While Geelong may only be an hour or so down the road, it may have been a further distance than he was willing to live from his kids or that may have worked depending on living arrangements etc

From a fans perspective it may seem a crazy offer & opportunity to turn down, but it also shows how football is only one aspect of a player's life & other aspects of their life can play a more important role in decisions made

Port are not a big draw
7.10 time-slot on a Friday night was plain weird

I know multiple people who usually go to the games but simply could not get to the game in time for that timeslot

GEELONG will be without their two top forwards for their Darwin trip to face Gold Coast after Jeremy Cameron was ruled out with delayed concussion.

Tom Hawkins will also be rested for Thursday night's match.

Cameron's head hit the ground after a marking contest in the final term of Friday night's home loss to Port Adelaide.

The Cats have given a detailed explanation of why Cameron played out the game, saying he showed no immediate symptoms.

"As per the AFL's concussion guidelines, Geelong medical staff immediately attended Cameron and conducted a HIA on ground, where he reported no symptoms and satisfied all AFL requirements," the Cats said in a statement on Saturday.

"After further review of the video footage, and in consultation with the spotters in the ARC (AFL Review Centre), it was decided there was no criteria to remove Cameron immediately from the field for further assessment."
Cameron also passed a post-game assessment, but has entered concussion protocols after another test on Saturday.

"Cameron was monitored and assessed again on Saturday morning, where he reported some concussive symptoms on repeat SCAT6 (assessment) and a diagnosis of delayed concussion was made," the club said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1125758/port-adelaide-power-hold-off-cats-charge-to-end-geelong-hoodoo

Last edited:
The modern reality with games live on TV is when the weather is poor we will not pack the place out.

Not to mention the 7pm time slot making it very difficult for people outside of the Geelong region to attend. I’m in Melbourne and had to finish work at 4pm and leave home at 4.30pm just to guarantee I’d be there in time.

Not to mention the 7pm time slot making it very difficult for people outside of the Geelong region to attend. I’m in Melbourne and had to finish work at 4pm and leave home at 4.30pm just to guarantee I’d be there in time.
Same happened to me. I ran out of time to get there.

As a supporter, thats what I believed.
I settled in for the night expecting a solid win.

Be honest how many other supporters felt the same way?
Yes, thinking that the defence would cover PA's dangerous "dooable" fwd line and our fwds would get it done regardless of the impact of Hawk.
It was sink or swim once the second half began.
They competed better which they had too but it was a bridge too far in the end to beat those confrontational but smug f#%ks including there stand in captain - Butters, and under seige coach (from there own supporters).
I love CS but who's decision did it come down too for Bowes to be managed? with Bruhn ruled out on the side of precaution as well. Did he over rule the rest of the MC or could it have been the numbers for Lappo, Rahls and Kingy against Scotty ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BF family. Can someone tell me if we have had a “live game” (can’t count games that didn’t matter) since Jezza has arrived whether neither he or Hawk played? How did we structure up?

Night games tend to not be the favourite timeslot for Geelong members & fans

- When the match is in Melbourne, there'll be those traveling from Geelong that are reluctant. Especially those with young children who don't want to be getting home sometime after midnight with them

- When it's a night match in Geelong, it's something of the reverse with those having to travel from Melbourne or the other side of bay that can be reluctant, and that's mainly due to the drive/trip home afterwards and what time they'll get home

The first season we had lights b& night matches, I was talking with one of the regulars in the area I sat, who was an older lady and after attending our first night match she was reluctant to come to further night matches due to the experience of trying to get home to Essendon. She didn't like driving at night and would instead use the train, but the public transport experience wasn't good & left her shaken, so she didn't know if she would make further night matches

I then sat next to various groups across my years in the Ablett Terrace, and the last group I sat with were younger guys who came from Frankston area and they couldn't always make it due to what time they'd get home, work the next day etc

An afternoon or twilight match time would almost be the perfect option as you still get to use the lights & finish after dark, but not so late that it's some crazy hour by the time you get home

Too many timeslots tend to get sub-par KP crowds in recent years. Saturday afternoon loses the local footy crowd. Sunday is the AFL dead slot where lots of people have had enough of footy for the weekend. Fri Night too hard to get to (MCG applies in reverse). Saturday night appears to be the best time slot to get a pumping crowd.

We need more Col Hutchinson type fans.
Hawkins and Cameron out, with the luck Neale has with his bad timing of injuries there's every chance he steps on a piece of lego and misses his chance.
Can we use that? Would love a cheeky Monday off work due to lego injuries.

BF family. Can someone tell me if we have had a “live game” (can’t count games that didn’t matter) since Jezza has arrived whether neither he or Hawk played? How did we structure up?
I think the last game last year against the Dogs is the only one and that was a dead rubber for us. Went with Neale and Ollie Henry. We looked potent enough until our midfield hit the wall.

Bloodbath. That rozee is a rare talent. Have to say that I admired Butters last night - cheeky little bugger, really got in our heads.
True. I love JHF. Brilliant. And only going to improve. Wines is still handy.

An afternoon or twilight match time would almost be the perfect option as you still get to use the lights & finish after dark, but not so late that it's some crazy hour by the time you get home

Yep, hence why we requested a twilight timeslot for our ‘home’ QF v Collingwood in 2022. We got a much bigger supporter turnout than we would have if it was a Friday or Saturday night match.

Let’s be honest, a midfield with Butters, JHF, and Wines was always going to smoke us, but I thought our defence would’ve been a bit better. Pretty sure we’re now seeing how good we are, and it’s not real good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back